Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
This book would be interesting for Chris especially, because there is mentioned a Gaveau-baby-grand. :wink:

I would not go and buy a book just because it mentions a Gaveau. But the mentioning of the 'back room' brings back some memories. The former pianoshop in Dordrecht, where I often went to play (oh how they must have hated me) had such a back room, several in fact, at the end of a long and darkish corridor, stuffed with all manner of weird and wonderful instruments. That is where I met and courted my Gaveau, before deciding I wanted her for myself.

So, it seems I can relate to this book even without reading it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 pm 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
I like the way that the store is set up to be a mysterious place, and our main character (have we learned his name yet?) grows more and more curious every day. And when he is finally allowed to enter the ‘back room’, we are as awe-struck as he is when looks upon all the beautiful pianos.

I like also the way of how the atmosphere of mystery and curiosity narratively is built. I think, we haven´t learned the name of the main-character until now, can´t remember anyway.

Quote:
And it is interesting how Luc behaves as he describes certain pianos. Like some of them are personal friends, and others are simply pieces of wood. You can tell that Luc and the other sort of grouchy older man in the shop will allow one of their pianos to be sold only to the right kind of person. I can’t wait to see which one our character actually gets. He originally thought he would purchase an upright piano, but now he has a sudden yearning to go with a grand. Maybe we will find out in chapter 2 which I will start later today.

Yes, that´s what makes this book interesting. This kind of a certain, very personal relationship between the man and his piano, there must be a kind of mysterious correspondance between the man and the instrument and that seems to be what the two sellers know. So, it seems also to be a story of (musical) self-finding. I´m also curious, which piano the main-person will get at the end. I think, I´ll continue to read chapter 2 this evening, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
I would not go and buy a book just because it mentions a Gaveau. But the mentioning of the 'back room' brings back some memories. The former pianoshop in Dordrecht, where I often went to play (oh how they must have hated me) had such a back room, several in fact, at the end of a long and darkish corridor, stuffed with all manner of weird and wonderful instruments. That is where I met and courted my Gaveau, before deciding I wanted her for myself.

That´s really interesting. So, you seem to know of this long and darkish corridor and the instruments, which are described in the book. How can you know this, if you haven´t read it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm 

musicusblau wrote:
Techneut wrote:
Quote:

That´s really interesting. So, you seem to know of this long and darkish corridor and the instruments, which are described in the book. How can you know this, if you haven´t read it?

...and the plot thickens :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 pm 

Juufa72 wrote:
Quote:
...and the plot thickens :twisted:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 am 

I´m so happy, because I´m able to read this book in English. :D :D :D For me the re-discovering of the English language is a bit like the re-discovering of the piano-playing for the main-person (what´s his name? I think, his name wasn´t mentioned until now.) I´ve read chapter two now within one hour and I have understood the plot, that´s good, isn´t it? (Woa, I´m proud on myself. 8) )

So, the first-person narrator has found his Stingl, an old brand from Vienne. Bösendorfer is the only brand, which stayed from this time of great austrian piano brands. So far I´ve learned from this book of piano-building history. One more interesting matter is, that the old Gaveaus (at least those from the nineteenth century) have a weak tuning stability, because their tuning-pins are in a wooden fixation. Does your Gaveau hold firmly it´s tuning, Chris, or has it often to be retuned?

Luc recommended this baby-grand-Stingl and at first the main-person wasn´t enthused, because he wanted originally have an upright, but more and more he fall in love with this instrument and the mysterious hunch of Luc becomes truth, that this instrument will be the right one for the first-person narrator. For me all that sounds so destiny-like, isn´t it? This book has really much narrative subtlety, because it creates such a mysterious atmosphere of destination and spiry development. An interesting point is, that the first-person-narrator also has changed an important matter of his life in the time he finds his instrument, he has changed his job from a corporate job to an independend writer, which has also a symbolic meaning in his personal development, which his wife expresses well with the words: "Think of it as an investment in personal expression."
So, I suppose, the process of true self-finding could be the main-theme of this novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 am 

Yes, but do you ever find yourself? I'd say there is a new me and you every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:38 am 

Lukecash wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but do you ever find yourself? I'd say there is a new me and you every day.

I agree to that, but somehow there are also certain structures in our personality, which we develop with the years and which stay constant, for example like the passion to play piano, the interest for literature and many other things. So, I suppose, the first-person-narrator discovers more and more (again) a certain aspect of his personality (the piano-music), which is important for his self-finding, because it seems to be an important aspect of his personality.
Thanks for this tought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:29 pm 

Wouldn't you say in the end that self fulfillment is appreciating people intently, and finding enough purpose so we that don't go insane? People all have their quirks, but evidently the actualization of a person is when they acknowledge that they take a part in something wonderful. However terrible people are, you find a reason to actually want to wake up in the morning, smile at people who aren't going to smile back. You really never can find who you are, but you poignantly realize what exactly you are. Or i may very well have gone mad already... :shock: Are you a member of the club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I have read chapter 2. Yes, I see we are talking about Chris’ Gaveau again. I was hoping our character was going to buy it. I was a little sad when he changed his mind and thought he would go with an upright after all. I was thinking, ‘no, no, don’t do it. Find the room and the money for a grand.’ I was not totally surprised when Luc, with his magical ways, found that Stingle grand for our character (no - we still don't know his name).

I have not heard of Stingle before, so that’s interesting. And isn’t it funny that in this book, the author says that our character wished he could play Chopin’s Polonaise in A-flat? I used to wish that too. Still do, in fact.

I also like the way Luc feels about rich people who own great big fancy grands, yet don’t play piano and only have them as a means of displaying their wealth. I have always hated that too. I have some cousins like that. Luc’s thinking is that he feels sorry for the poor piano because it sits there practically lifeless. :(

On to the next chapter. They are short, so that's good.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:47 am 

Hi Monica,
Yes, I always was hoping, too, that the first-person-narrator would decide for a grand. And now he has that wonderful Stingl, it´s fine, isn´t it?:D

Me, too, I don´t like people, who have an expensive grand only for to show their wealth. I´m like Luc and you in this point. :wink:

Today I didn´t find time to read, because I´ve recorded one piece of Triakontameron and Chopin´s Nocturne op. 15, 1. Tomorrow I´ll continue with reading. (BTW, I still have played the Polonaise in A flat major of Chopin, it´s the famous "heroic", I love it. May be I´ll try to record it one day. In summer I have a recital, in which I´ll play several Chopin-pieces, f.ex. the Scherzo Nr. 3 and some Nocturnes.)

Last edited by musicusblau on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 am 

Lukecash wrote:
Quote:
Are you a member of the club?

What do you mean with this? Which club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
(BTW, I still have played the Polonaise in A flat major of Chopin, it´s the famous "heroic", I love it.

Me too, but I can't play the part with the LH octaves. Nearly ruined me permanently when I was practicing it. But I did write a 400-page novel that prominently features the piece though. :lol: (a little side project of mine, and no- you can't read it. Nobody can, as it is not finished, nor will it ever be, probably.)

I'll read chapter 3 of our book today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:46 pm 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
I'll read chapter 3 of our book today.

Me, too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, chapter 3 was very short.

And now the piano is at its new home. Isn't that nice? Remember when your new piano came to your home? I do - vividly. One of the most exciting days!

Sometime in the near future, we will be taking the carpeting out of our living room and replace it with hard wood. My piano will need to be moved out of the house while the construction is going on. I am not looking forward to that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next