Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Suggestion for Audition Room Posting Titles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:22 pm 

I'm fairly new here, but just wanted to offer a suggestion for further comment and consideration.

In the Audition Room a more consistent posting title format such as: Composer, title, Op. and No. (if applicable) and subtitle (if applicable) would be helpful. Listings would be more consistent, and those perusing the forum could glean essential information at a glance.

For example, if one merely titles a posting "Prelude", well, is it Bach, Bortkiewicz, Chopin, Debussy, Gershwin, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Scriabin or yet another composer's work? Or, if a title is "Rachmaninoff Prelude", is it from Op. 3, 23, 32 or posthumous? You get the idea! Using a reguested title format would be more informative as well as a time saver for browsing the forum.

If a requested title format is deemed desirable, it could be included in the instructions in the Audition Room's "Announcement: Submissions and recording tips" post. Posting titles will never be perfect, but could probably be improved a bit.

Again, this is meant as just a gentle inquiry.

David :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:50 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: consistency??? in a room full of artistic types??? hehehehehehehehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 pm 

I neglected to say that this is a good idea! :oops:

Although I, of course, shall reserve artistic license and continue to post inanities in inappropriate forums! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:54 pm 

Hi nathan,

I hear you, and your inanities are OK. :lol: What I'm really referring to though are incomplete or vague titles that tell you little or nothing. The only two choices then are either to skip over the posting (and you might miss a real gem), or go into the actual music file to see what's actually there, which may or may not turn out to be of interest.

I guess my idea is really meant to be more of a courtesy to the reader as opposed to having to be a "rule", (which is why I called it a "reguested title format").

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 am 

I think there's a sticky in the Audition Room (too lazy to check) that suggests this for thread titles and file titles. But no one reads stickies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
I think there's a sticky in the Audition Room (too lazy to check) that suggests this for thread titles and file titles. But no one reads stickies...

That much is true. It's because they are too lazy to check :P

Actually it should be updated, including how exactly to do ID3 tagging. I have been too lazy to sit down and do that for a long time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:07 am 

Yes, I imagine it's rather hard to get motivated, considering that no one reads stickies anyway. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Suggestion for Audition Room Posting Titles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
For example, if one merely titles a posting "Prelude", well, is it Bach, Bortkiewicz, Chopin, Debussy, Gershwin, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Scriabin or yet another composer's work? Or, if a title is "Rachmaninoff Prelude", is it from Op. 3, 23, 32 or posthumous? You get the idea! Using a reguested title format would be more informative as well as a time saver for browsing the forum.

A very good point indeed :!: Most people, like yourself, do take that trouble, which is much appreciated. On the other end of the spectrum I've had people not even bothering to give any information or even renaming their files from R_0001 etc. making us getting all confused with the files and having to look up all the details about each piece.

Everybody can help PS by being as comprehensive and precise as possible. We have enough to do without having to sort out user sloppiness.

Correct ID3 tagging is also important. Some people get it almost right but we most always have to change one little thing or another. I really need to rewrite that sticky, and think of a way to stick it in people's faces so they can't miss it :P Maybe at one stage we should start simply rejecting and deleting submissions not correctly named and tagged. But first the rules must be clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:02 pm 

Hi Chris,

I did, in fact, read the "Announcement: Submissions and recording tips" sticky carefully, believing that the title issue would be an integral part of submissions, but it was not. I believe I didn't read the "Posting Multiple Attachments" sticky, probably taking too literally its very specific and limited title--that is, that it likely pertained to multiple attachments only. My apology for that omission.

Perhaps, though, that second sticky title should be more general and inclusive to reflect more than just the multiple attachments issue per se, as many submissions are only single attachments. Perhaps, for example, "General Requirements for Postings" or similar would do it. Or alternatively, the title requirement could be moved up into the prior sticky "Announcement".

Finally, a technicality: Composer, Title and Opus Number(s) as currently required in the "Posting Multiple Attachments" sticky is OK as far as it goes, but we always need to have the selection number(s) within the opus (as applicable) to know exactly which piece(s) is/are being posted. For instance, "Rachmaninoff, Prelude, Op. 32" would still leave us wondering which of the 13 preludes is or are actually in the music file.

Just some thoughts on the matter for your consideration and evaluation. (You can tell I spent a career in Administration. :lol: )

Thanks!

David