Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: page turners
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:58 am 
Site Admin

This really cracks me up. I came across it as I've been doing a lot of 'surfing' lately.

Tonight's page turner, Ruth Spelke, studied under Ivan Schmertnick at the Boris Nitsky School of Page Turning in Philadelphia. She has been turning pages here and abroad for many years for some of the world's leading pianists.
In 1988, Ms. Spelke won the Wilson Page Turning Scholarship, which sent her to Israel to study page turning from left to right. She is winner of the 1984 Rimsky Korsakov Flight of the Bumblebee Prestissimo Medal, having turned 47 pages in an unprecedented 32 seconds. She was also a 1983 silver medalist at the Klutz Musical Page Pickup Competition: contestants retrieve and rearrange a musical score dropped from a Yamaha. Ms. Spelke excelled in "grace, swiftness, and especially poise."
For techniques, Ms. Spelke performs both the finger-licking and the bent-page corner methods. She works from a standard left bench position, and is the originator of the dipped-elbow page snatch, a style used to avoid obscuring the pianist's view of the music. She is page turner in residence in Fairfield Iowa, where she occupies the coveted Alfred Hitchcock Chair at the Fairfield Page Turning Institute.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:13 pm 

I think that is a joke. Just look up some of those awards and schools for "page turning"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:15 pm 

that is a wise guess, juuf :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Julius, you're even more gullible than I am. :)

Look at this part: She is winner of the 1984 Rimsky Korsakov Flight of the Bumblebee Prestissimo Medal, having turned 47 pages in an unprecedented 32 seconds. She was also a 1983 silver medalist at the Klutz Musical Page Pickup Competition: contestants retrieve and rearrange a musical score dropped from a Yamaha. Ms. Spelke excelled in "grace, swiftness, and especially poise."

This is just so funny :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:15 pm 

I dont find this funny...must be because I lack the "light-colored-hair" gene :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Quite funny indeed :lol:
But seriously, do not underestimate the skills of a good page turner. It is not something that everybody can do. It's a bit like playing ensemble, and needs full understanding of the music and the technique and playing of the partner.