Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano recognition for smartphone - what do you think?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

Hello fellow pianists :-) I would like to hear your opinion. I am the university student and this year I am working on my bachelor's thesis. I would like to make a smartphone application that would help the piano students or composers. The application would be capable of recording someone playing the piano then it would recognize the single notes or polyphony, the rythm and finally it would generete the MIDI output. The MIDI output could be then imported to some 3rd party dekstop software (like Finale, etc.) to obtain the classical piano score.

Before I start I need to know whether you, pianists, would even like to use such an application. So would you use an application that can recognize and process the piano sound and generate the MIDI output? And if so what mobile platform would you prefer? Android / iOS / Windows Phone / Symbian / BlackBerry / anything else? What do you think?

I really need your feedback and I would appreciate every answer! :-) Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Piano recognition for smartphone - what do you think?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hello janbednarik,
That sounds like an interesting project. We pianists here do not like listening to midi files, so we wouldn't be interested in using the app for recordings on our site. But I think a student could benefit if they are struggling with a certain piece - like maybe the rhythm and they need help quickly and don't want to wait for their next lesson. They could send the recording to a friend or to their teacher (if the teacher has consented). I think the app would be a lot of fun for a composer. I'd prefer Android, but that's only because that's the kind of phone I have.
Best wishes! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Hello janbednarik,
That sounds like an interesting project. We pianists here do not like listening to midi files, so we wouldn't be interested in using the app for recordings on our site. But I think a student could benefit if they are struggling with a certain piece - like maybe the rhythm and they need help quickly and don't want to wait for their next lesson. They could send the recording to a friend or to their teacher (if the teacher has consented). I think the app would be a lot of fun for a composer. I'd prefer Android, but that's only because that's the kind of phone I have.
Best wishes! :)

Thanks for your answer, pianolady:-) Maybe I did not explain it well but the main purpose of the application is to transfer the piano sound to the piano score. The MIDI is just the tool. The mobile application would generate MIDI file that can be then imported to some software capable of creating piano score. So the main aim of the application is not playing the generated MIDI file.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Oh sorry...I did misunderstand.
Anyway, yes, I think that composers would think your app is the coolest thing ever!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 pm 

Don't worry, I probably didn't explain it enough. English isn't my native language so I it might be difficult to understand what I actually mean :-) But thanks for your reply! :-)

What do other pianists think about the piano-recognition application?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm 

Sounds potentially very useful for composers, more so than pianists. I suppose pianists might be able to use it for checking accuracy, though listening carefully to your playing (maybe artificially slowed down) should usually suffice. The most obvious use would probably be notation of improvisational material, which can be very time-consuming. How sophisticated is the note or polyphony recognition? I've recently become aware of this software: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/a ... ynedna.htm which produces a graphical representation on-screen of the notes and their duration within the music. It does tend to fall down a bit with dense textures, softer high notes, and hang-over notes from pedalling effects.