Not a good thing. A curious question.

Discuss all aspects of the piano and other keyboard instruments.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Not a good thing. A curious question.

Postby YoungPianoVirtuoso » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 am

Today was the worst day for me as an ameture pianist in training. The glue on the damper on F3 wore out, and the damper itself fell into the strings and is stuck between the E and D keys, which means that in order to keep from damaging something else, I CANNOT PLAY THE BOSTON STUDIO UPRIGHT that I had grown attached to. But my piano teacher says that this kind of wearing out a piano is good, signifying that it is being used for practice. Do you agree?

Site Admin

Re: Not a good thing. A curious question.

Postby techneut » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:08 am

Oh yeah. If it hurts, it works :)
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Postby musical-md » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:57 pm

IMO, glue doesn't "wear out." This was a defect of assembly that finally manifested. Like others surely, in the countless (many thousands) of hours of practicing, I have never had this happen before. Plus the forces involved would not work towards removing the damper felt, but maintaining it. Keep up the hard practicing, but this event is not related. :)
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne

Postby hreichgott » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 pm

A good piano technician will have the damper unstuck and out of there in a few minutes. Putting it (or a new one) back on is a longer job. But still. Get hold of a technician and you'll have your instrument back :)

Return to “The Piano”