Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Purchase Help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:41 pm 

Hi,

I am finally buying a piano and moving on from my electric keyboard. I have dreamt of this for so long, but have now become confused over what to buy! There are so many choices and as this is a purchase for life, I want to get it right. Do you have any tips when deciding what piano to buy or any specific recommendations?

Many thanks,

Simon

Post subject: Re: Piano Purchase Help
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 pm 

What's your budget?

Upright or Grand?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm 

I am flexible with the budget, but had in my mind spending up to £5K. An upright would fit into my house a lot better than a Grand, so not much choice there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:00 pm 

Just exactly what I had in mind: you are not from the US. I cannot help you too much because the markets are different. There are pianos in Europe that that are rare in the US. However, there is a common ground:

Yamaha
Kawai

I think for 5K you can find yourself a nice Yamaha upright. I think there is someone in this forum who owns a Yamaha upright. We'll see if they reply to your post! (I forgot who it was :mrgreen: :oops: )

Best,
-j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Before you purchase a new piano, you should read Larry Fine's "The Piano Book". In it you will find very useful information regarding the quality of piano manufacturers, cost, sizes, what county the pianos are made in, etc...

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 pm 

Buying a piano requires you to begin with a budget so that your list of potential purchases is narrowed down. You will also need to consider the available space for the piano you want to purchase. The Steinway model M is a popular baby grand piano that measures 5' 7" and will fit comfortably in limited spaces. It offers professional quality sound and because it's so popular you can probably find an used one & save some money.

If your budget will allow and space is not an issue, I recommend you look at the Steinway model A baby grand piano. It measures 6' 2" and weighs about 695 pounds. The model A is a favorite of classical pianists and institutions as well as collectors. It is the smallest concert size grand piano available and one of the finest models made by Steinway.