Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: adjustable height
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 pm 
Do grands (baby to mid size) offer height adjustment - raise the piano (keyboard), and lower the pedals. I'm tall and the standard unadjustable upright I own does not allow my ankle to flex properly since the keyboard it so low.

I'm looking at the Yamaha C2, but no specs on height adjustment given.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

I personally have never seen such grand-pianos, which have this height-adjustment, but that means not, that there does not exist such a grand. (If it exists, it could only concern the pedal IMO,but not the keyboard.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:03 pm 
To clarify, raising of the keyboard is a result of raising the piano, not the keyboard individually - I was hoping that perhaps the wheels were height adjustable (as in leveling with lots of extra thread). This would leave just the pedal height adjustable.

I'll find out soon enough when I visit a showroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:15 pm 

I think you can change the heigth of a piano by puting several things under the wheels (or removing the wheels, if that is possible). Sorry, but I´m not an expert in this question. I never have seen pedals or wheels, which have an adjustable heigth. There are several "sets" in different size and heigth, for setting them under the wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:31 am 

Ideally, if the "average person" is sitting such that the elbows are approximately level with the keyboard, the thighs are fairly level and parallel to the floor, and the knees are one to two inches at most underneath the piano case, there should be no contact between the underside of the case and the knees causing discomfort. In other words, the pianist should not have to squeeze the knees under the case. Problem is, we're not all average. And if the person is tall with long legs, no amount of raising or lowering the adjustable bench will offset that factor, as you know.

On stages they use those heavy duty triangular steel frames on their own wheels. The main purpose of that device though is not user comfort, but rather to facilitate moving the piano more easily around the stage and wings without damaging the instrument. At home, good quality casters under the wheels will raise the piano perhaps a quarter to half inch, but not much more--that might be just enough to improve comfort. Removing the piano's wheels (for stability) and placing the legs directly on squares of hardwood a height accounting for both the height of the wheels (since removed) plus the needed additional improvement might do the job. The main thing would be to absolutely ensure stability and safety.

My Baldwin grand allows clearance of about 24" between the floor and underside of the case, (and 28" up to the top of the keyboard). I don't know if there is an industry standard or practice for that clearance or not. Having long legs, I've always just practiced the piano with my shoes off. Eliminating the thickness of shoe soles and heels is just enough to create the extra space under the piano case needed for total comfort. That simple solution, I'm sure, would work for many others without having to jack up the piano on blocks.

Last edited by Rachfan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:12 pm 

I'm also very long-legged and have never been able to sit properly at a piano of normal height. My home piano is simply raised about an inch (just enough to allow for knee clearance) by three, 10" diameter steel disks. They're ordinarily used for weightlifting, so conveniently there's a small hole in the center of each disk that prevents any slippage.

Since a grand can weigh half a ton, I suggest getting some help. :lol:

My Kawai grand sits 24" at the bottom of the keybed, but I have it raised to 25".

I strongly suspect that there is an industry standard.

Post subject: Re: adjustable height
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 am 

You might simply try a shorter bench or chair. I'm fairly tall and had problems with my legs hitting the piano and my arms not being at the right height. I tried different chairs until I foud the height I liked and measure it, then ordered a Jansen bench with custom height legs... an an inch or so off the legs made a world of difference.