Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:58 pm 

Quote:
There were a few scratches when we got it, but we have since polished it a little with a stick that takes care of surface scratches. That's probably why it went cheap. The stick, however, is a really amazing product.

What is this stick that removes scratches from the piano surface? Sounds like a miracle worker to me! Our piano at home could really benefit from such a product if you're willing to share more about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

organtechnic23 wrote:
What is this stick that removes scratches from the piano surface? Sounds like a miracle worker to me! Our piano at home could really benefit from such a product if you're willing to share more about it.

I think it must be one of these felt-tip permament markers in various shades of brown, specially designed for pianos and furniture. My former piano tunerrt used to carry a set with him. Pretty good for disguising scratches (not removing them of course).

Post subject: Re: Cleaning The Instrument
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:41 am 

techneut wrote:
fluterific00 wrote:
Also, I have a question about a keyboard for anyone who's interested in asking. I have a cpv-20 yamaha keyboard. This is the one that's missing some of the keys. Anyway, I had a generic midi cable that played fine with no glitches and then it broke. So, I purchased a new one and it's fine except that the pedals on the keyboard play notes. The left pedal plays G and the right pedal plays E.

Quote:
Cool ! You must be the only one here having a pedal piano :wink: Now you can record Alkan's and Schumann's piece for this instrument.

ha ha. yeah, I guess, though I don't know Alkan.

organtechnic23- I'm not sure without looking what the name of the stick is. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

Sarah- that might work. I'll check it out. Unfortunately, there are a couple of the base strings that don't seem to be livening up much, so we may have to replace those. But, the over all picture is looking better. :)

Chris- you're right about just covering up the scratches. I'm sure having a hard time covering up some of the bigger scratches on the piano. I wondered if anyone had some tips on that. I'm also going to work on the bench some, and I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Bigger scratches on it.

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to put the first recording. Course, I've been so busy with other music and teaching that I haven't really had time to practice anything! My student told me to tell her when my next recital might be,(of course I don't give many, yet), but I got to thinking after she said that and realized that I really didn't have much in the way of pieces to play. So, I'm going to have to work on that. Plus, I have to play for Messiah auditions tomorrow and practice with the choir after that. I'm feeling fairly busy and starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. But, things are going well, so far.

Post subject: New Piano
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 am 

Hello
So, I'm getting a little frustrated. While it will be a good piano when fixed, I will have save continuously to make proper repairs, or maybe there are some minor issues we can work out. We are still working on the strings in the bass strings and will probably have to replace a few. Can anyone tell me how to measure the string so that I can send it in and have them make a new one? Also, where would a good place be to buy them. We are also going to have to replace the bolt. I was wondering if that is what could be causing the rumbling of the instrument. I don't know if anyone knows about this problem. I guess there could be something stuck in it.

Also, the piano bench is fairly scratched up and I was wondering how we could repair it without stripping it. I know a few tips, but I'm sure I can get a few more here.

Otherwise, it has a very nice tone, will be even nicer when tuned. The piano could ring for forever, so we just have to work the issues out. I'm getting anxious about the finished product. Vinegar cleans brass up just fine and you should see the difference I made cleaning the back poles. There was brass under the dirt and grime!

I'm upset I can't make my Christmas cd on it this year as that was my goal, but maybe I'll have it next year.

As well, how do you keep students in a financially difficult time. I had 2 siblings for a month and they quit because of job changes. That really made my income shoot up and I'm disappointing not to have them. Also, how do you keep students who are stressed with problems at school and tend to let that get in the way of everything? These are students with very strong dispositions towards everything in life. Half of my studio quit for a while this week and it's fairly disturbing.

Anyway, I've bared my troubles, and let me know your thoughts. :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:30 am 

fluterific00 wrote:
.... Also, I wondered about the foot pedal. The pedals are a bit loose, and was wondering if I could fix this. It also seems to have some connection with the keys on the piano, so I didn't know if just moving the pedal around would correct, or help the sound as well.

Happy playing.

My piano is a rebuilt, and they foot pedals were kinda wobbly. They replaced some heavy felt bushings or something in the pedal assembly, and now they're like new... but it wasn't cheap, and I sure wouldn't try it myself. Using the wrong felt can be disasterous with a piano, so let a qualified tech do it.

Post subject: Re: New Piano
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:46 am 

crogersrx wrote:
My piano is a rebuilt, and they foot pedals were kinda wobbly. They replaced some heavy felt bushings or something in the pedal assembly, and now they're like new... but it wasn't cheap, and I sure wouldn't try it myself. Using the wrong felt can be disasterous with a piano, so let a qualified tech do it.

I see. My technician then went on to say that that's the way some pianos were made because some people like to pedal from another side to the next. I don't know, though. After he worked on it, though, everything about it was better. I'm really liking the piano. Maybe more repairs will be in it's future, or I'll be able to get a new one.