Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: "Moments" no. 1: After work, late at night
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am 

Hi again after long time!

II was here around 2007 for the last time and did some writing in the mean time that I like to share again. I finished writing my piano album titled "Moments" that has 13 movements, each one being an individual piece. Here is the first one, titled "After work, late at night".

I started this piece after coming back late at night... from the restaurant where I work as a dishwasher. It was Christmas evening and I was tired! It's no fun to run around for 12 hours a day in the kitchen on those days. But sitting behind the piano, there it came to me, the first phrase of After work...

http://www.box.net/shared/b2ampufgcr

André

The whole album can be found on my website here: :wink:
http://www.andrevanharen.com/forpiano.htm

Post subject: Re: "Moments" no. 1: After work, late at night
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 am 
D natural – A Sharp – D^ -- C

I like your progressions, they are very relaxed, and hearing this piece I am reminded of a recent memory. When I was younger I went to a shopping mall. In the shopping mall I was waiting for my parents to buy some clothes, and here I was loitering around in Nordstrom’s (fancy apparel shop). Where am I going with this?!? There was a man playing a grand piano. He played this music that was very laid back. Essentially the opposite of rushed. I would not call it classical music, not jazz, but I guess you could say it was somewhat improvisational. Maybe what I would call it is ‘parlor music,’ and I apply this label in a benign sense—that is, I liked hearing the music. It made you want to slow down and sit on the upholstery furniture circa this big black grand.

Anyway, I heard this piece of yours and it reminded me of the type of music he played. Not razor sharp and precise like Gershwin’s Piano Concerto in F Major, not superficial like some of Ryan Stewarts pieces that have some cheesy orchestral accompaniments, but that’s a different criticism for a different thread. Anyways, I guess I just wanted to say I liked it, and it was nice to listen to. If you want some constructive criticism, I found the initial progression repetitive in the second and third act.

Post subject: Re: "Moments" no. 1: After work, late at night
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 am 

Jackpringle123 wrote:
D natural – A Sharp – D^ -- C

I like your progressions, they are very relaxed, and hearing this piece I am reminded of a recent memory. When I was younger I went to a shopping mall. In the shopping mall I was waiting for my parents to buy some clothes, and here I was loitering around in Nordstrom’s (fancy apparel shop). Where am I going with this?!? There was a man playing a grand piano. He played this music that was very laid back. Essentially the opposite of rushed. I would not call it classical music, not jazz, but I guess you could say it was somewhat improvisational. Maybe what I would call it is ‘parlor music,’ and I apply this label in a benign sense—that is, I liked hearing the music. It made you want to slow down and sit on the upholstery furniture circa this big black grand.

Anyway, I heard this piece of yours and it reminded me of the type of music he played. Not razor sharp and precise like Gershwin’s Piano Concerto in F Major, not superficial like some of Ryan Stewarts pieces that have some cheesy orchestral accompaniments, but that’s a different criticism for a different thread. Anyways, I guess I just wanted to say I liked it, and it was nice to listen to. If you want some constructive criticism, I found the initial progression repetitive in the second and third act.

Hi,

I know exactly what kind of music you mean, there is a pianist here every Christmas in our shopping centre who plays like this, very relaxing and nice to listen to, yes.

Thanks for listening to it,

best wishes,
André

Post subject: I finished my piano album titled "Moments".
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 am 

Hi all!
I am very happy to say that finally after about 2, maybe 3 years of writing, fine tuning and rerecording the music, I finished my piano album titled "Moments".

"Moments" includes 13 movements, titled:
1. After work, in the night - 2. Cat's play - 3. On a summer day - 4. At work - 5. Who's there? - 6. Goodnight - 7. For Beatrice - 8. The lost child - 9. For Mateo - 10. For Isabella - 11. A winter tale - 12. The snow is melting! - 13. In silence.

I played all the pieces and did the editing so it's exactly the way I want it to be, nice when you can have everything in your own hand. The layout of the sheet music is done in Sibelius 6 and the recordings in Logic 8, and I am very happy with the results!

Please, have a look at my website where you can see and more important, hear the 13 pieces that are part of "Moments". And if possible, it would be great if you could leave a comment there, maybe still there is something that could be improved after all.

http://www.andrevanharen.com/forpiano.htm

thanks and best wishes!
André vanHaren
Sweden

Post subject: Re: I finished my piano album titled "Moments".
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Andreas,

I feel a bit rotten not having commented yet. There's no good reason for it ! I listened to some, a while ago, and liked what I heard. I will listen to the full set again and give my two cents worth.

Later,

Chris

Post subject: Re: I finished my piano album titled "Moments".
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 pm 

That would be great, thanks!