Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: My Prelude in c minor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:58 pm 

Unashedly romantic in feel, I aim at a melodic style.
hope you enjoy this short piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm 

Nice. Pretty. Sounds a bit improvisational to me ... that gave me the impression of something I'd hear in a hotel lobby ... easy listening, i guess. Pretty ringing tone though. Just not much tension or drama.

in my humble opinion, anyway

PS - you really like the pedal, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:17 am 

Nice calming music. As said there is no tension, but there are times when tension is not needed. This is one of them. Well played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:40 am 

I enjoyed it too. :) Yeah, there are a few spots where you perhaps have a bit too much pedal - chromatic and stepwise stuff running together - and one spot that I felt was a bit harmonically awkward a bit more than halfway through. But overall very nice. I think perhaps some other chord than a major 7 to end with, or maybe a different voicing of it, would take a bit of edge off of the "hotel lounge" aspect that Nathan mentioned. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 pm 
I like it. I don't thnik you use too much pedal. Partly because what I can hear from the recording - you use a lot of chord like thinking; so when playing in a harmony for example c minor I think the use of the pedal is not too much. It doesn't bother me!
Maybe, if you feel the need, put in a somewhat different piece in the middle of the prelude. I think it might sound to repetative. Or rather the repition of the first theme is there too quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:17 am 
Site Admin

A lovely piece of music ! I especially like that little descending refrain, and the way you extend that into the ending. My only point of critique is that sometimes a phrase does not get resolved, like at 0:12 and 0:20 and similar spots later on. That sounds a bit awkward to me, but perhaps it was intentional. The sound is a little swimmy with all the pedal, but it suits the music and is not disturbing.
Very well executed too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:45 am 

Beautiful! I really like how it sounds. Hard to explain why, but for some reason it appeals to me.

By the way, I also love the pedal :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:21 am 

Many thanks to all who replied to my post (even those who thought there was too much pedal!) :) :)
No, the pedalling used is exactly what the piece requires, to create a warm and reverbrant ambience - that's how I conceived it.
Peter:
Glad you liked it. I take your point re repetition; I varied the main theme when it comes back to try to make it sound less repetitive.
Techneut:
I'm not sure I get what you mean about the unresolved-sounding phrases - if you want the score I can send it to you. Thanks for your positive feedback.
Adam:
Thanks - great that it gave you enjoyment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Key88 wrote:
I'm not sure I get what you mean about the unresolved-sounding phrases - if you want the score I can send it to you.

Perhaps I should have said 'phrases that seem to end in mid-sentence'. That happens, to my ears, at 0:12 and 0:20. Perhaps I am expecting too much, or perhaps these were not meant as a phrase. It does happen in other music too, even occasionally in Bach ('false fugue entries') but it just seemed a bit abrupt here. Yes if you send the score I can mark these out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the score Eugene. It is nice to play and maybe I'll submit my version too.
Now I know what the problem is with these phrases... you don't play as written :shock:

In bars 4, 7, 20, 23, and 55 you to not play the top D in the RH. Or if you do, it can't be heard. With these notes, all falls in place. The only time you actualy play that resolving D is in bar 58. Actually there's quite some places where you take considerable liberty with the score. I guess you're entitled to :lol: but I think those D's should be put in.

IMO this is a pretty good composition, and lovingly performed. What amused me is that in one bar ( 38 ) you write both cantabile and stretto. Not sure these go well together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:31 am 

Thanks Chris for taking the trouble to look over the score and send your interesting comments.
Yes I don't play it exactly as written - composer's privelege! :lol:
Actually, I wrote this some years ago, and the printed version just shows the first writing down;as one plays a new composition, different ideas present themselves over a period, and the piece can change in many ways. So don't be too shocked - it's not engraved in stone! :lol:
You are right - I didn't articulate the top D note you mention - for the reason I don't like the sound of the D octave, I find it too hollow. The resolution is provided in the left hand b natural - and this satisfies my ear.
The melody in bar 38 has to be cantabile; it is a little more urgent, pressing on, hence the stretto marking. I don't see any conflict here. I suppose I could have written piu mosso.
I do appreciate the points you make and will consider a rewrite to reflect my present way of playing!
Eugene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Seems your ear is more lenient than mine :D Or perhaps I am just too too weaned on strict polyphonic music. Anyway I sorely missed these D's.

Not sure if you should rewrite the piece - you might play it differently the next time. All your alterations (except the above) sound entirely plausible, though I found it a pity you do not play the
LH 16ths in bars 44-47. That would give just a bit more excitement to this Rachmaninovian climax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 am 

GREAT PIECE!!!! Very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:11 pm 
:shock: Wow...
It sounds fantastic! There are no words to describe this music...
Really, really beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:04 pm 

abimopectore wrote:
:shock: Wow...
It sounds fantastic! There are no words to describe this music...
Really, really beautiful.

Many thanks Abimopectore for your comments and appreciation of the piece, I'm glad you liked it.
Eugene