Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: "Allemande left, allemande right."
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:34 pm 

Bach: French Suite, No.2, Allemande

I'm still trying to play Bach, but continue to be perplexed as to how to play it. So please excuse me for this little experiment. You may find if interesting.

I played this Allemande twice without any repeats. The first way is the most direct strict way; the second is a bit more flowing. I don't know which way is better. Will you give me your opinions?There are a few "slips" in eavh version. I'm just reading it even though I played it many years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

The first sounds rather dry and pedantic in the Glenn Gould style, but is well played. The second sounds more pleasing but suffers from inconsistent touch and strange tempo fluctuations. Neither is ideal, try for something in between. Don't make such a long rallentando at the end. It's seldom before the second half of the last bar that you need to slow down, and don't overdo it. Think of a sort of curtsy, not a protracted ritenuto.

BTW John, there is a lot of stuff of you hanging around in Audition Room. I think that everything we agreed upon is up the site by now. Can you please check, and remove any attachments that are no longer useful ? Thanks, just trying to keep things clean.