Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - French Suite No. 5 (BWV 816)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 am 

Don't worry, no mp3-spam intended :)
But in this and the next post I'll add some more recordings with which I'm happy at my current level (this here, again, recorded digitally).

Bach - BWV 816, I. Allemande
Bach - BWV 816, II. Courante. Allemande
Bach - BWV 816, III. Sarabande
Bach - BWV 816, IV. Gavotte
Bach - BWV 816, V. Bourrée
Bach - BWV 816, VI. Loure
Bach - BWV 816, VII. Gugue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Very well played all the way through and I have nothing to niggle about at all. I just enjoyed listening :).

I assume that you wish to become a pianist (pretty sure from earlier email conversation) on the site and I found some information about you on your home site under "Piano Music" (along with a lot recordings and I know I have listened to your Chopin 9/2 before). Not sure if that could be used as a pianist biography but that is up to you to decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 am 
Site Admin

I have put these recordings up on the site and the standard procedure is that we replace the original submissions with links to the recordings in the initial post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:05 am 

Thanks, Robert, and glad you liked it! Yes, I'd be happy to join as a pianist :)
I'll send you a very brief bio sketch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Tobias wrote:
Thanks, Robert, and glad you liked it! Yes, I'd be happy to join as a pianist :)

Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

An impressive debut !
One can always argue, especially in Bach, about details of tempo, ornamenting, etc... But by all standards this is very good and technically on a high level. You have a great empathy with Bach.

Your slow movements are a bit Gouldian (i.e. veeery slow) but that is a matter of taste. I think the Loure could dance a bit more elegantly instead of dragging along. I particularly enjoyed your sprightly rendition of the Courante and especially of the Bourree, a movement that can easily sound a bit insignificant but not so in this performance. Some minor slips in the Gigue, but this one is real tricky and you did very well in the second movement which I think is horribly difficult in the middle section.

Great job, and welcome to the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:48 pm 

Thanks, Chris, for the warm welcome! Your comments reflect exactly how I feel about it: the Bourree is my favourite (next to the Sarabande), while I don't really know what to do with the Loure -- it doesn't even speak to myself, so I'm not surprised it didn't speak to you! I'll have to listen to some other people playing it. But I need a break from the piece now, as I've been working on it for long enough :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Actually I think that Loure is one of Bach's most wonderful and original creations. But it is hard to bring off. Needs a bit of rhythm, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:57 pm 

Wow, that makes me want to reconsider my first impression of the movement! I think I _really_ have to listen to how other folks play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Great!

Did you ever send the bio? (and perhaps a picture)

Post subject: RE: allemande
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:29 pm 

I enjoyed the performance. I enjoy the piece. I also play this piece and have a few questions.

I found the opening ornamentations in the allemande to be a bit weak. Especially the first one (which I suspect is an important one.)

I find in order to play it I need to use a bit of my arm weight (not muscle, just the gravity.) I am curious how other people approach the opening ornamentation?

Also the piano is a bit unusal? Are you using the soft pedal or is it a keyboard? I perosnally prefer a "deeper" sound. It sounds a bit like you are not playing into the piano (just hitting the surface of the keys.) As a whole I liked it. b.t.w. I don't consider myself an expert by any means. Just curious what other people think about how to perform this peice as I play it myself...

Stan

Post subject: RE: allemande
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:33 pm 

I enjoyed the performance. I enjoy the piece. I also play this piece and have a few questions.

I found the opening ornamentations in the allemande to be a bit weak. Especially the first one (which I suspect is an important one.)

I find in order to play it I need to use a bit of my arm weight (not muscle, just the gravity.) I am curious how other people approach the opening ornamentation?

Also the piano is a bit unusal? Are you using the soft pedal or is it a keyboard? I perosnally prefer a "deeper" sound. It sounds a bit like you are not playing into the piano (just hitting the surface of the keys.) As a whole I liked it. b.t.w. I don't consider myself an expert by any means. Just curious what other people think about how to perform this peice as I play it myself...

Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:36 pm 

Stan, thanks for commenting. About the ornamentations: I don't know the baroque conventions of playing them, but I'd be really interested if somebody knows or can point to a document. I tried to make them as "flowing" as possible, i.e. not disturbing the melodic lines (because I used to produce "hick-ups" quite often), and in the process of trying they might indeed have come a bit too weak. Maybe it is a bit too weak overall, I don't know. Have a listen at the Allemande that leonald posted, I guess you'll like that one a lot (as did I).
Yes, and the piano is a digital (that's what I meant in the original post with digital recording, but that's a bit ambiguous as I now realize). It'll never have the healthy sound of a real acoustic!!