Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mozart sonatas for violin and piano K.301 & K.304
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 am 

Ok, so that's the last of my three 'hello' posts. My first chamber music experience, just before Christmas, when a friend and I prepared these two sonatas as a present to our families. It was great fun! One can argue about our playing, but the sonatas themselves are simply beautiful in my opinion. I hope somebody will enjoy.

Mozart - K.301, Sonata for Piano & Violin, I. Allegro con spirito
Mozart - K.301, Sonata for Piano & Violin, II. Allegro

Mozart - K.304, Sonata for Piano & Violin, I. Allegro
Mozart - K.304, Sonata for Piano & Violin, II. Tempo di Minuetto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin

These are very good as well and you seem to have a competent Violin partner as she produce a very good tone. I guess you have played a lot together as it sounds synchronised and as you agree how to interpret the sonatas.

I have put these up the site as well (including sheets).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:09 am 

Yes, I also think I have found a very good violin partner :-)
Only thing that hurts: she never seems to need practicing! We've met once a week for a couple of times and we both enjoyed it so much that we want to keep it up. Next project are the Schubert sonat(in)as... Thanks for putting the pieces on the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Your first chamber music experience ! These sonatas are not very demanding, but even so,
this is a great achievement. Very solid ensemble playing and very few mistakes. Your
pretty violinist produces a consistently sweet tone with only occasionally an imperfect
intonation. I wish my string partners were as good... you don't half know how lucky you
are !

I've played the KV 301 with my viola partner once or twice - occasionally he takes the
violin for a change and we have some fun with a Mozart Sonata or the Dvorak Sonatina.
You two do a great job here. Only quibble I have is that I think you take the 2nd
movement a bit too fast - to me this is a rustic minuet and has more humour at
a slightly more relaxed tempo.

The KV304 is great too. One or two moments where you are not exactly in sync but I can hear that you quickly correct that (I do believe Bach players have a headstart when it comes to playing ensemble).

What I think is a shame is that you did not add any reverb. Or did you ? It seems to have this really dry room acoustic, the sound gone as soon as you lift the key (or bow). With some discreet reverb it would sound real professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:43 pm 

Thanks, Chris, for your comments (I'll forward your compliments to my violin partner). She forgot to retune the violin during which was quite a long recording session, so I think part of the intonation problems might actually due to that. Great idea to add a bit of reverb, as I still have the raw files I'll play around with it and see if it improves the overall impression. You mentioned a Dvorak sonatina which I didn't know of. I love Dvorak (string quartets!!) Is it a nice piece? I'll try to find a recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I did not notice the violin getting out of tune. There were a couple occasions where the tone, after a pause, or after a jump, does not quite come right at first but this is a common problem string players have especially if the note has an accidental. It was only few times and only very minor. I think she's really good. And you are too of course.

This Dvorak Sonatina is a fun piece (he wrote it for his children I think). Uncomplicated, cheerful, and quite easy to play. A bit in his American vein, and dating from that period too. A piece you can just sit down and do without much practising.

I thought of posting the recording of my recent practice session of the 1st Brahms Sonata but the violin tone is really no joy to listen to in places... sounding at times like a scared kitten. This is why I am jealous of your partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:59 pm 

I've just ordered the Dvorak. I found a quite bad playing of the last movement on Youtube, but the piece sounds lovely. Actually before reading your reply I was reminded of the "American" string quartet when hearing it...
Regarding the Brahms 1: It's probably good only to post recordings which you like or for which you'd like to hear constructive criticism, so don't feel pressure to post it by now. Maybe the violinist will have a really good day soon :)