Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: The Russians
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Last post for today. I had not really planned on recording so much again but it went better than I thought. At least these are not redos (sorry PJF - could not resist :P ).

Thanks to the schmontz, I now have Medtner on my todo list as well. This Fairy Tale is an one-take job which came out much better that I had hoped. The Liadov took me about 10 takes and many weeks of preparation. Nasty little bugger it is.

Medtner - Skazki Op.42 - 1: Russian Tale
Liadov - Mazurka Op.38 in F major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:56 pm 

Wonderful to hear the "Russian" Skazka. (Funny title, they're all pretty Russian!) Most of the notes are there; I won't niggle about them, except at 2:56 there's a note in the melody played a jarring half-step high. Presumably it bites at your ear as much as it does mine? My rhythmic sense detects a noticeable tempo shift at 1:44; that section with the alternating seconds and thirds is hard to enunciate quickly, but do you have in mind to speed it up? Otherwise very nicely played and IMO close to being publishable. When I eventually record this someday, I may phrase it a little differently. :-)

Will be great to have more Medtner up. I've got a friend working on the Op. 20 No. 1 and the Op. 11 No. 2 and we might hope for recordings of him playing those at some point. FYI, the Medtner page needs a "Recordings" section added, too.

I'm familiar with a few other Liadov pieces but not this one. Sounds great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yes there's some little slips here and there. Not really bad enough for re-recording I thought, althoug it would be nice to have it perfect. But hey, it was a one-take with almost no preparation (I'd only played it two times recently, first time since long).
That speed romp was intentional, yes. Bit of excitement there.
I am glad it's close to being publishable, as I have done that already :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:37 pm 

Are all your recording sessions done from memory or sight read? This is a "long" piece to have simply layed out on a sheet stand. I can't comment because these are new for me. In fact, I never heard of Liadov or Medtner :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:33 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Are all your recording sessions done from memory or sight read? This is a "long" piece to have simply layed out on a sheet stand. I can't comment because these are new for me. In fact, I never heard of Liadov or Medtner :x

Chris is a sight read master I beleive..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Admin

The only thing I ever recorded from memory was the Chopin Tarentelle. Somehow that had just gotten into my tiny brain... All other stuff recorded from score. For the Liadov I used taped-together copies as the page turns were awkward. Did not bother with that for the Medtner as they were manageable (but I think there's one that can be heard).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know anything about Medtner, so can't comment on this.

I really liked the Liadov, as I have said about the others you have recorded. I still haven't gotten around to playing any of them - if only there were more hours in the day.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Chris, have you become lazy? Cut out the 11 seconds of you preparing in the beginning in the Liadov recording.

Too little experience with Liadov and Medtner from my side. The Liadov sounds pretty difficult but exciting to play with all these rhythmic changes. I enjoyed listening to it. The Medtner sounded a bit different than other Medtner compositions I have listened to. This is more straightforward both rhytmically and in harmony and did not sound very difficult to play as some other works of his sound. From what I can hear, well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:50 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Chris, have you become lazy? Cut out the 11 seconds of you preparing in the beginning in the Liadov recording.

11 seconds :shock: I must have missed that. Will chop it off right away. Twas worth the wait though, I hope :wink:

These this is one of Medtner's 'easier' pieces. I will work on some of the more difficult stuff but that will take a while.