Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Spectrum: Seven Preludes for Piano
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 pm 

Okay, so don't laught....

but these seven little piano pieces are my own piano pieces. If anyone is interested in obtaining the music visit

www.imaginemusicpublishing.com

I performed these pieces last year at a church so the recording is a live performance LOL

Hope you enjoy them! Sorry I didn't upload them in order! Just follow the numbers! :-)

Jennifer C.

Admin edit; Removed attachments, all tracks are live and can be found : here

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing these, Jennifer. I admire people who can compose their own music. I liked the Yellow piece best.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Jennifer, good to see you back after so long ! Come back, all is forgiven hahaha :)

I love these preludes ! All have interesting harmonic and rhythmic ideas as well as nice catchy themes, and none outstay their welcome. Did you leave one out or is there one track (09) with two preludes ? I was not sure which was which once I loaded them into iTunes. They also seem to share a certain tonal language, making them attractive as a set.

I especially liked the livelier ones. Am I right in hearing a kinship with Bartok in ethnic mood, and spotting some decidedly Balkanesque harmonies, melodies and rhythms ? Even if so, you have your own distinctive voice. Certainly not influenced by Scriabin, this time, it seems. And well played too, even though it could be a bit more perky and assertive. Did I hear a wind machine towards the end of one of them ?

All in all, great stuff. Can we put them up the site ? But please confirm what's up with nr.3 which you had not attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:14 pm 

Yes, feel free to post them up. Yeah I don't know what that noise is. Sounds weird though. The church wasn't air conditioned. If there is an extra piece on one of the tracks it is probabl a repeat of one of the preludes. The guy that recorded had not separated the tracks correctly and the Orang and Yellow preludes were lumped on the same track (track 9). I corrected it and it seems to be fine. But if it is still quirky, that's why. There should be only seven pieces.

Yes, I am influenced more by Bartok and Stravinsky more so than Scriabin in terms of Sonority. The Scriabin like piece was my way of paying homage to the composer.

Thanks for listening!

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Jennifer wrote:
The guy that recorded had not separated the tracks correctly and the Orang and Yellow preludes were lumped on the same track (track 9). I corrected it and it seems to be fine. But if it is still quirky, that's why. There should be only seven pieces.

Ah right... I was sure I had only six yesterday :?
Ok, I will put them up one of these days. Is it ok if we publish the scores as well, or you prefer to provide a link to them ?

Jennifer wrote:
Thanks for listening!

It was my pleasure. They are nice, had you not supplied these superb recordings I would have been more than happy to study and record them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot to ask Jennifer - is it ok if I use the text (for the Spectrum recording page) and photograph (for your personal page) from your homepage at imaginemusicpublishing.com ?

Nice that you mention being a member of PianoSociety ! You should check back more often.

Interesting you invented your 'own' scale to complement the existing tonal modes. I'll have to relisten to your pieces now and see how you use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:39 pm 

I would say you could publish the scores but the the rights have been signed over to Imagine Music. Techonically speaking, the sheet music is their copy now and no longer public domain. So I don't want to tinker with that.

You can upload my picture and whatever other info you think seems suitable from Imagine Music. You can even take my bio from their since the one posted is out of date and too long. Whatever floats your boat. Whatever you decide to do should be fine.

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:16 am 

You play with an uncommon sensitivity to sound. Well done is an understatement. They're very much in the school of Bartok, IMO. Too bad a police car had its siren going at the end of 5. :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Jennifer wrote:
I would say you could publish the scores but the the rights have been signed over to Imagine Music. Techonically speaking, the sheet music is their copy now and no longer public domain. So I don't want to tinker with that.

Definitely not. But I will include a link to that page where people can order it.

Jennifer wrote:
You can upload my picture and whatever other info you think seems suitable from Imagine Music. You can even take my bio from their since the one posted is out of date and too long. Whatever floats your boat. Whatever you decide to do should be fine.

Ok, I'll do that over the weekend. Thanks for submitting this interesting and very accessible suite !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Why on earth would we laugh?! Profound they are and your compositions have a uniqe style. My favourite is the blue (no.5) and it reminds me of swedish folk songs, farmers working on the fields. All of them are quality compositions and you should be proud of them. Welcome back by the way ;) (thank God that Chris forgave you!).

If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend to not have too many of these little chromatics that exist in all these preludes. While they add a nice chromatic shimmer, I think they only do so it you use them thrifty. I would replace some of them with just the "blue" tone (as they say in jazz). I would guess that these are your escape solution ;).

Well done!

Last edited by robert on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, these are all up, see http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=875

I have also corrected your pianists' page, put up the image, and provide the linl to 'Dedication to Scriabin' which was missing. Please check if everything is ok !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:05 pm 

Thanks for posting them up Chris! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 pm 

The chromatics you hear are the tail end of the 8 note scale. That is why they occur throughout. It is not so much as an escape solution but more of a signature. Hope that makes some bit of sence.

By the way, the scale in its original form is spelled

C D E F G G-sharp (A-sharp) A-natural B-flat (C)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:12 pm 

These are cool! I particularly liked Red, Green, Indigo and Violet. These sound like they would be excellent intermediate level teaching pieces. I"ll play them for some of my students and see if they're interested. Keep up the composing, you have something unique to say (unlike many contemporary composers). 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:40 pm 
Very interesting!
NOw I try to explain a first impression for every piece...
The first have this use of fourths very 'spatial'... Do you ever heard Voivod (maybe this could sounds too heretic...)?
The second recalls to me some Ravel, the third appears to me the 'definitive' chord estrinsecation of your scale, near the fourth, the fifth recalls me the relaxed section of 'allegro barbaro'... barbarian happy...
with the sixth we return in the joyful relaxed harmonies derived from the scale...
I like much the "free and happy" melody of the seventh
The relations between colors and notes awakenes my interest most years ago.
The scale you use is very close to that I use usually in my improvvisations, called from me 'pseudoharmonic' modes, (that are in fact two modes of the Bach scale, one beginning from the 4th, one from the 5th grade).
Well, good work! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:47 am 
Site Admin

FFF Fiale wrote:
The scale you use is very close to that I use usually in my improvvisations, called from me 'pseudoharmonic' modes, (that are in fact two modes of the Bach scale, one beginning from the 4th, one from the 5th grade)

I guess you refer to the archaich church modes which Bach also used sometimes ? In this case that would be Lydian and Mixolydian mode (starting on f resp. g). But if there's really such a thing as a 'Bach scale' I would like to know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:39 am 
I intend the so-called 'Bach-scale' (minor):
i.e.: A - B - C - D - E - F# - G# -A >>G# F# E D C B A

I use this starting from (in the example) the D, for 'free and easy' mood, or (is this the case of similarity) from the E, for a 'tender' mood.
Surely it's been classified centuries ago, I don't know.
The reason for the Castellano's scale reminds me this, is probably the major mode with the minor sixth...