Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:47 am 

Ok, I rerecorded all three pieces and eliminated most of the reading mistakes hopefully -none of the recordings are really error free however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Wow. Very nice. Great way to start my day. I found nothing wrong with anything. (although I never saw the things that Chris did on the first recordings :oops: ). I think you played these beautifully. I'm falling more in love with both Chopin pieces, but especially the mazurka. That is such a neat piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

As beautiful as the previous ones, and then some ! The Waltz sounds livelier to me now, and the Bach is perfect too. The Mazurka is still too subdued to my taste (especially the middle section which seems to rather dream away) , but ok that is your interpretation and you bring it convincingly. The only thing left to nag about is why you did not correct these RH thirds in bars 165-167 and 173-175. You play them a third too high and that sounds rather trite. Of course it it's in your score like that I rest my case... And do not go and rerecord it just for this.

A word on the recording - sometimes one can hear a sort of dull thud, I noticed in it the Bach most. Wonder if it's the keys, pedal, or damper system. Perhaps your mikes are a little too close on the moving parts ? It's not really disturbing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Really well played and I enjoyed listening to them every second at the breaskfast table and so did my children. Nothing to complain about at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I have put all these up the site. Good work ! If there were any errors, I did not hear them at all.
A shame you'll have to cut down on Bach piano pieces ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:24 am 

Monica, Chris, Robert: many thanks for listening again and your comments. Monica: Yes, I like that Mazurka probably the most of them all, and I was wondering a bit that nobody else recorded it here (well, it won't take long and we have another one from Chris, I expect).

techneut wrote:
The Mazurka is still too subdued to my taste (especially the middle section which seems to rather dream away) , but ok that is your interpretation and you bring it convincingly. The only thing left to nag about is why you did not correct these RH thirds in bars 165-167 and 173-175. You play them a third too high and that sounds rather trite. Of course it it's in your score like that I rest my case... And do not go and rerecord it just for this.

Aaaaarrrghhh! During going through your long list of mistakes I thought that there was something wrong in bar 162 and I was wondering a bit because it seemed correct to me. Now I realize that was another spot with RH thirds you are speaking from. Since I will not find enough undisturbed time during the pre-Xmas-period, I let it as it is. :oops: :cry: :roll: So it is up to you to deliver a version with correct notes. I also cannot blame the score, only my eyes and ears.

Someone else said already here, you really have ears like a dog has, he was right, or better, you have ears like a dog's nose! :D

techneut wrote:
A word on the recording - sometimes one can hear a sort of dull thud, I noticed in it the Bach most. Wonder if it's the keys, pedal, or damper system. Perhaps your mikes are a little too close on the moving parts ? It's not really disturbing though.

Yes, I was wondering also after listening to the recording. It is that I pushed the pedal especially in the Bach prelude every quarter note, and the mikes are very close to the dampers. I prefer now to record with only half-opened lid since otherwise it is too loud in the room and I don't feel well while playing. Because of this, the mikes are above the dampers showing inside the lid. So it is the damper noise, have to experiment a bit to find a more appropriate mike location.
That close mike location has the advantage, that surrounding noise outside the piano is surprisingly hidden. E.g. some days ago there was a storm outside what was pretty audible inside too so I doubted to be able to record. One could not hear that in the recording, also if the daughter practises saxophon in a cellar room in parallel. However the damper noise is there...

Thank you for putting it up to the site, Chris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:52 pm 

[
Someone else said already here, you really have ears like a dog has, he was right, or better, you have ears like a dog's nose! :D

Nice playing by the way, I missed it out on the weekend.

Any way, I reckon Chris has a bionic ear implant or he got some program that can detect the wrong pitch at slower tempo/// JK :lol:
[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I got ears like a dog's bottom :lol:

It is you peoples' bad luck that I happen to know a lot of repertoire from the inside. Little has been
submitted here so far that I do not play or have played at some stage. That is why I hear immediately when something is not right. Of course for the details and bar numbers I'll need to re-listen with the score.