Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: More Bach WTC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

As everybody seems to be recording the WTC these days, I thought I'd do some more too (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em :lol: ) No edits in any of these. Coupla minor slips, ah well. I hope you like them anyway.

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in E major, BVW 854, from WTC book I
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G sharp minor, BVW 863, from WTC book I
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A minor, BVW 865, from WTC book I
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BVW 870, from WTC book II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Since I'm no Bach expert, I can't critique your technique, but I think it all sounds great. I especially liked the third one. One small thing - the recording itself made the left hand sound a tad too muffled and I couldn't hear all your fancy finger work. The reverb is good for the right hand, though. Makes it sound crisp/smooth and perky/soothing at the same time (that probably doesn't make sense). Oh well, thanks for the nice fifteen minutes worth of music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:09 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Makes it sound crisp/smooth and perky/soothing at the same time (that probably doesn't make sense).

Whether it makes sense or not, I take it as a compliment. Only Bach can be all these things at the same time, and if it sounds a bit like that, I didn't do too badly.

Listening back, I did not perceive the LH as muffled compared to the RH. Of course neither the instrument nor the Edirol produces the clearest of sounds ... But if anything sounds muffled there, it's probably because I am using too much pedal in places. :lol:

Anyway, glad you liked them, and thanks for the feedback !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:13 pm 

Yes, I finally shall return the favor!

I like your style of Bach. it's very graceful (especially in the E major and A minor sets). The ornaments are very well executed in both hands (save for the rare exception). My only dissagreement is the tempo in the G# minor prelude, which I would probably play in two rather than six, but that is quite minor. I love the A minor fugue and your voicing is excellent. Only a few ever so slightly uneven parts in some parts like the A minor prelude, but it doesnt take anything away from the overall impression. I think my favorite was the C major. I've never really listened to it before and you perform a very crystal clear style, which seems to be quite appropriate. great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Joe :D That A minor fugue is a bastard, easily the hardest in all the WTC. I've never practiced a piece like this one, and still it does not go without the odd slip. Yes the ornaments fail sometimes - I blame it on my sluggish instrument as usual :wink:
Not sure what you mean about the G# prelude though, play in two rather than six ?

Last edited by techneut on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:49 pm 

i merely mean i would feel two beats per measure than six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Very good Chris. Among the best I heard from you!

The fugue of A-minor is damn difficult to get right (I gave it a shot long time ago) and though this is not perfect, I believe it is a very good version. All voices are most of the times clear and nicely pronounced and but for left hand slip at 4:21 and right at 4:31, I don't hear much problems. But why did you cut the recording too early? It does not ring out intil it is cut in the end. If you have the original wav/mp3 and it is not cut, please put that up.

For everything else, I would not change a thing. Really good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Very good Chris. Among the best I heard from you!

Thanks ! They should be, I've been preparing these for a long time (except the BVW 863, that was an on-the-spur recording, but it's not very difficult).

robert wrote:
The fugue of A-minor is damn difficult to get right (I gave it a shot long time ago) and though this is not perfect, I believe it is a very good version. All voices are most of the times clear and nicely pronounced and but for left hand slip at 4:21 and right at 4:31, I don't hear much problems. But why did you cut the recording too early? It does not ring out intil it is cut in the end. If you have the original wav/mp3 and it is not cut, please put that up.

Hmm yes, it's a bit abrupt now you mention it. I'll fix that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 am 

Bach a minor P&F: Great!I like you detached playing in the prelude and fugue very much. The needed articulation work for organ playing counts out for those piano pieces too, doesn't it? It is a pleasure to listen to the fugue, how you lead the theme through the voices throughout the fugue! That's the best WTC recording of the site here, in my opinion.

Bach E major P&F: The Prelude is pretty slowly played, but why not in this legato piece. However, the prelude invites for a more lyrical playing in my opinion, with at least a bit of melody phrasing, for both hands (not that I did it better in my older take, by the way). In bar 12 first note right hand you played a b instead a c# in the melody line, according to my Urtext and the sheetmusicarchive score. The fugue you played in opposite to the prelude much more lively, and it sounds really good to me, maybe some weakness in bar 8/9. However, good phrasing otherwise!

g sharp minor P&F: both, prelude and fugue come calm and slowly,and rightly so. Most play the fugue theme at the end staccato. You played the theme in the beginning almost legato, however in the following theme parts with a decent articulation at the end (what sounds well too, must not be that usual staccato).

C major P&F WTC2: Very well too, also the ornaments!

Overall very good, and the a minor P&F is on top of all! One year later, and you have recorded all of WTC1 and WTC2?

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Makes it sound crisp/smooth and perky/soothing at the same time (that probably doesn't make sense).

Whether it makes sense or not, I take it as a compliment. Only Bach can be all these things at the same time, and if it sounds a bit like that, I didn't do too badly.

I think Pianolady referred to the influence of the reverb to the right hand parts. That means, CoolEdit can join the compliment club too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
Bach E major P&F: In bar 12 first note right hand you played a b instead a c# in the melody line, according to my Urtext and the sheetmusicarchive score. The fugue you played in opposite to the prelude much more lively, and it sounds really good to me, maybe some weakness in bar 8/9. However, good phrasing otherwise!

Intersting that b vs. c# thing. I now see that I am keeping the c# and restriking the b, instead of the other way around as it should be. I just never noticed that ... probably as it's crossing a page break. Thanks for pointing this out ! I've made a note. Indeed I have still trouble with bars 8/9 and 21/22 of the fugue. My double-note technique is not up to standard.

MindenBlues wrote:
Overall very good, and the a minor P&F is on top of all! One year later, and you have recorded all of WTC1 and WTC2?

Yes, it is starting to look like that *sigh*. More work to do...

Thanks for the compliments ! That a minor fugue particularly I worked very hard on. It is indeed true that playing organ helps tremendously in playing Bach, as one learns to get fussy about articulation and observing exact note values.