Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - Invention #11
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:40 pm 

Hi everyone,
After several years of only being sporadically active with piano due to college classes, or having pieces learned but not having a place/equipment to record, I have been playing piano a lot over the past few months and have some pieces that I would like to be considered for acceptance to the site.

The first one I'd like to have reviewed is Bach's g minor invention.
Attachment:
File comment: Bach - Invention #11 in g minor
Bach Invention 11 in g minor.mp3 [1.37 MiB]
Downloaded 22 times

Let me know what you think,
Samuel

Post subject: Re: Bach - Invention #11
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:49 am 

Hey Samuel,

I think that you did an excellent job performing this Invention. Your articulation is wonderful and your ornaments are beautifully performed.

My only problem is with the recording itself. There is a bit of volume "pumping", as if some form of compression is involved (whether intentional or because some sort of "automatic volume control" is in operation. At several points I noticed the ambient white noise and then none as the volume would suddenly decrease just a tad. This in many points lead to build ups, particularly in sequences that did not reach their logical conclusion. I was hearing it a bit at the beginning, but I really noticed it at the beginning of measure 5, where to me that first "G" should be the end of the build up, but it goes down in volume. Also, at those points, the bass seems to get boomier (if that is even a word) and the sound is sort of as if the piano is in a can.

I don't mean to be overly critical. As I said, your performance is beautiful. The problem may be in your equipment's settings, or inherent in the equipment that you have. But we will have to leave that to others who are more practiced with recording and dealing with recording equipment.

Most Sincerely,
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 am 

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your compliments and critique. I think that the volume pumping is because of the noise removal effect I applied. I recorded using a handheld mic and a digital keyboard, and the mic picks up some key pressing noise which I made Audacity suppress. It would probably be better if I let the keyboard itself record the piece in MIDI then convert to MP3. I've found that if the music has pedaling, MIDI-MP3 conversion diminishes the sound quality quite a bit, but Bach piece don't require pedal so it should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:05 am 

Hey Samuel,

Yes, the noise suppression is what is doing it. Are you recording directly into your computer or using a digital recorder? Since you are using a digital keyboard, consider simply plugging your instrument directly into which ever you are using. This will avoid any ambient noise and give you a really clean sound. I have both a Zoom H4 (the earlier model) digital recorder that will record and also act as an audio interface. I also have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro 2 channel USB audio interface for my computer. My main keyboard is a Roland RD-700, which I purchased in 2002 (there have been several generations since then, but mine does just fine.) For me, I generally find it easier to just record directly into the recorder, since I can easily have it near the keyboard to start and stop as needed as opposed to getting the computer and keyboard close enough together) and then connect the recorder to the computer to send the file up for any editing.

If you don't have an audio interface, keep an eye out at SweetWater.com and MusiciansFriend.com. They both often have really good deals, the latter has a "Stupid Deal of the Day" everyday where they have ridiculous on different items such as overstock, restock, etc. That's how I found my M-Audio. I took a peek today at both sites and found USB audio interfaces (up to 4 channel) for less than $80.

I have also recorded to MIDI first and then had it playback my keyboard and record the sound, but then again, I recorded it directly, not through mics. The MIDI recording has been handy on some projects since I could correct any little mistakes (a finger slip or missing one or two keys) without needing to figure out how to record that 1 note into an otherwise decent performance. In those cases, I have not particularly noticed any change in sound, even with pedal.

Well, I guess that I had better stop rambling.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Admin

I have to agree with Scott on this. Great performance and conception (though the agogics are a little over the top for my personal taste) but rather lousy sound. I hope you can clear that up before we add this to the site.
Good to see you back. I seem to remember you having a good rapport with Bach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 am 

Scott,
Those are good suggestions that I hadn't thought of before. Thank you for your help.

Chris,
Thank you for your feedback. I may have an opportunity to record this piece on a real piano today. Going forward, Scott's suggestions for the digital recording should improve the sound on future pieces.
I enjoy playing Bach's music a lot, and I tend to notice a lot of nuances in the character of his pieces.