Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Brahms Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 pm 

Hi all,

Well, I finally found the guts to post in the "real" section of the forum! All my other posts have been in the "works in progress" forum.

Anyways, I had a chance to play on a grand piano today and record a piece I've been working on for some time now. Grand pianos sound SO much better than the upright piano I'm used to at home ... Anyways, I was hoping for some thoughts and/or comments on the performance.

Thanks!

Attachments:
brahms intermezzo op. 117 no. 3.mp3 [9.07 MiB]
Downloaded 189 times

Post subject: Re: Brahms Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 3
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:50 pm 

Well played on all accounts and the piano sounds nice. My only grip is the repeated background noises (squeaky chair?). A little bit adds authenticity but too much is distracting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 am 

Hello Jeff,

The middle section and the ending are played with a mystique and introspection
that are really beautiful.

My only suggestion is that the first section could sound just a tad less metrical and
a bit more mysterious.

This tone is nice throughout.

Thank you for sharing.
- Kaila

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm 

troglodyte wrote:
Well played on all accounts and the piano sounds nice. My only grip is the repeated background noises (squeaky chair?). A little bit adds authenticity but too much is distracting.

This recording is worth an effort for cleaning it a bit. I did it up to 2'54". I cannot proceed now because I have to take a flight early tomorrow. I will be able to complete this task on next week-end if you think that it is better after cleaning.

Anyway, congratulations to you Jeff !

Attachments:
brahms intermezzo op_cleaned.mp3 [9.05 MiB]
Downloaded 38 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:50 pm 

Thanks for the comments! How in the world are you able to clean it up? What software?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but a couple parts sounded very odd -- there was a random noise in one portion (1:12) that wasn't in the original.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 am 

Hi Jeff,

I enjoyed hearing your Brahms intermezzo. You play with warmth and expression and often achieve the burnished sound of Brahms. Very fine playing!

If spurious sounds find their way into your recordings, there are some things you can try. The squeaky bench is an identified problem in this recording. If it's an adjustable artist bench, carefully turn it upside down, and with a wrench in one hand and pliers in the other, tighten up all the bolts under there. That will eliminate virtually all of the squeaks. If it's a wooden bench, and if it has the traditional compartment directly under the surface for storing music scores, you can get access to tighten the screws inside of the compartment.

If you get a damper pedal squeak, and if it's a grand piano, go underneath with a screw driver, maneuver behind the pedal lyre, and little by little, experiment with the adjustment screw until you eliminate the noise (usually caused by humidity in summertime).

If you use mics on stands (rather than on-board mics within the recorder) and if you are using omni-directional condenser mics, once in awhile you might hear an odd noise in the recording that you might not have noticed. In that case, one solution would be to switch to cardioid (directional) mics which point toward the piano and focus on it, screening out other directional noises. But then you lose the ambiance of the room previously afforded by the omnidirectional mics. Plus mics are expensive.

There are other precautions you can take. For example, if you have a chime clock, you can easily move that into another room before recording. During summer, I always shut off the central air conditioning, as the sound of the air blowing out of the ceiling diffusers will definitely become part of the recording.

And then there are outside activities over which you have little or no control, such as barking dogs, people using lawn mowers, etc.

The best defense is to consider the most obvious sources of unwanted noise and make it a point to deal with them to the extent possible before beginning the recording session.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 pm 

echoyjeff222 wrote:
Thanks for the comments! How in the world are you able to clean it up? What software?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but a couple parts sounded very odd -- there was a random noise in one portion (1:12) that wasn't in the original.

I have used IZotope RX. I may have misused this tool at some points. Just let me know precisely where so that I can check and possibly improve the correction.
Does 1:12 means 1'12" ? I do not hear anything special here.

Here attached two fully processed files. file_2 is the same like the one in my previous post but with the removal or attenuation of the transient noises completed up to the end.
file_3 has in addition background noise attenuation and a slight equalization.

The recording ends abruptly. Is it for the pedal release noise not being included ? This could also be arranged better.

Attachments:
brahms intermezzo op_3.mp3 [9.07 MiB]
Downloaded 171 times
brahms intermezzo op_clean_2.mp3 [9.07 MiB]
Downloaded 166 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:23 pm 

Hey, I just gave a listen to the file 3 -- do you hear anything weird at 0:44 seconds? I hear a weird distortion -- is this happening to anyone else?

Yeah, I cut off the very end part ... I think it was because that was when I got up and started making noise. I probably should have sat for longer and held that note out longer .... :roll:

Thanks for the feedback with the bench. I will try looking at it next time, or perhaps just using another bench. It's not my piano, so I don't get a chance to look at it very often. It was my first time doing a "real" recording so thanks for the tips for next time!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:29 pm 

Quote:
do you hear anything weird at 0:44 seconds?

Not at 44 s. I remake the noise removal at 45.5 s, 46 s, 47 s and 49 s. The attached version differs from the original only because of transient noise removal by means of IZotope RX. No EQ, no attenuation of the background noise. Let me know if you hear some other weird parts.

Attachments:
brahms intermezzo op_cleaned_4.mp3 [9.07 MiB]
Downloaded 168 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:18 am 

I think someone else might want to give some input, since the things I'm hearing may just be because of my computer ... Here's what I'm still hearing -- it's like an abrupt increase or decrease in volume that lasts just one second. It's actually occurring throughout the entire recording (even the places you didn't edit?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:46 am 

Don't you hear the same when listening to your own file ? The time duration of an edit performed by IZotope RX depends on the setting parameters. Here it is at most 100 ms.