Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Tchaikovsky - Un Poco di Chopin, Op 72 No 15
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:21 pm 

Another from opus 72, and the last for a while since my piano is now out of tune. Glad to get this out of the way, since most of the remaining ones are pretty difficult and require some focus.

5'10" Petroff, lid all the way up, Zoom H2 recorder. (Not happy with the mic placement this time because it does not pick up the LH enough, but I knew the instrument was going to hold up only a couple more days.)

Comments are welcome. I'm sure there will be some because my interpretation of this piece is rather strict.

Tchaikovsky - Op. 72, No. 15 "Un Poco di Chopin"

Post subject: Re: Tchaikovsky - Un Poco di Chopin, Op 72 No 15
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Stu,
This is up. I can't say much about your interpretation because I've never heard this piece before. Your playing sounds confident though.

Regarding your piano....or the mic placement: I agree that maybe the mics are too far away from the bass side. How often do you get your piano tuned? I'm down to getting my piano tuned 3 times/year. I used to do 4 but I'm not making recordings as often as I used to

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 pm 

Thanks, Monica.
I'd have to rearrange my piano room in order to get the mic closer to the bass. The way things are now (and actually for the past 10 years), this would entail moving the piano. Which of course could affect the tuning. So it's something that I have to mull for a while until I know I've got good ideas.
I don't get the piano tuned any set number of times per year. I work on several pieces - that I think I can get recorded during the length of a good tuning (1-3 weeks, or even more depending on the time of year) and get it tuned when I'm ready to record. This is why my offerings usually come in batches.
This is generally 2 or 3 times per year. This offering was isolated because we had unusually steady weather this spring and I thought I might be able to get this one piece learned and recorded. The instrument has now lost its tuning in the high treble and I'll start my next batch (largely pieces from opus 72).

I learned this piece without first listening to other recordings. I then listened to several recordings, which are all over the place. But there weren't any that sounded anything like mine, so I kept it this way. You should listen to Richter's if you want to hear the "artistic freedom" interpretation. I like Richter, but sometimes ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:44 pm 

I don't know the piece at all, but I like the recording, though I think it would be easier to make tonal distinctions/create nuance on a better/more sophisticated piano. I can believe it's now out of tune - it sounds right on the cusp of losing tuning as a few notes have hints of being "swimmy" - I am a little suspicious of the A natural which occurs several times in the opening theme. The passagework from around 1.12 was good.

I didn't actually find it "strict" at all; whilst I think a little more dynamic variation would help (a criticism that can be directed at multitudes of recordings and can sometimes be mic placement, rather than the pianist) I thought it was well-disciplined and rhythmic and I found that aspect of it convincing.

Nice to hear more of these pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm 

Hi Stu,

Sounds a bit jazzy to me in motif. You play many parts of it with a bit of
a swing. It really is a nice piece.

Regards,

Kaila