Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Kosenko, "Consolation", Op. 9, No. 1 (1921)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:22 pm 

Viktor Stephanovych Kosenko (1896-1938) was a Ukrainian composer, but also a virtuoso pianist and piano pedagogue. In his earlier years his principal influences were Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Lysenco. A graduate of the Warsaw Conservatory, he studied piano with Aleksander Michalowski and Iryna Miklashovskaya, and composition and music theory with Mikhail Sokolovsky. Kosenko composed about 250 works in all—about 100 of those for solo piano--and the other works being orchestral works, concertos, chamber music, chorus works, and songs. During his short life, Kosenko also held important positions in academia, music circles, and was often a juror at important piano competitions.

I hope you’ll enjoy this recording.

Kosenko - "Consolation" Op. 9, no. 1

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully open
Recorder: Roland R-44
Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Last edited by Rachfan on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Kosenko, "Consolation", Op. 9, No. 1 (1921)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again, David.
This is a nice little gem! I like the sound of it. Nicely played too. How did you play those flourishes so quickly?

It's up on the site now. With only one recording by this composer, there is no need to make up a new composer page. If you eventually make several more recordings, then we can make one.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot to add.....I can't see what the duration is my computer here at work, and I won't be back on my home computer until late tomorrow. Can you tell me the duration of this recording? Also, fyi...I noticed you used 128 kbps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 pm 

Hi Monica,

Glad you liked the Kosenko piece! The small-note arpeggiated runs.... Groan! :? I got those up to speed using Josef Hofmann's dictum: "Will it." I studied at length with two wonderful teachers, but speed has always been difficult for me. And in this case I think those runs were already practiced to death. Plus nervousness during the approach can be a problem too. I've concluded that the professional artists learned the secret to speed and do not part with it.

On the 128 kpbs, is there a standard here? If I've used a different setting (and I probably did), I can't recall it. Should I resubmit it with a different setting?

The duration is: 1:55.

Thanks.

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:03 am 

Hi Monica,

Just now I found some notes here indicating that the limit at PS is Kbps 192. That rings a bell. I'm sure I've used that previously, but this time I just forgot to adjust the bitrate setting on the conversion template. In the future I'll resume using 192. The irony of this is that the ear cannot discern any real difference in audio output quality. The rationale actually is to save on storage space which makes good sense.

David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi again, David,

Rachfan wrote:
The small-note arpeggiated runs.... Groan! :? I got those up to speed using Josef Hofmann's dictum: "Will it."

I like that! And you must have good will power. :)

128 kbps vs. 192 kbps: I think I can hear the difference....192 sounds a bit clearer to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm 

Hi Monica,

Your hearing is keener than mine, so you're probably right. I always used 192 kbps, but somehow I forgot to use that setting for this recording. I'll remember next time.

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:53 pm 

Hi David,

I had a listen to your recording of this "Consolation." I have actually never heard Kosenko, and this piece and your playing makes a great impression. Will be nice to hear more by him. I definitely hear those composers you listed as influences in this dazzling albeit rather small-scale work. I can see you being drawn to this music, as I know you enjoy playing the late-romantic composers. I also love the music from the early 20th century. I think songwriters/composers of that era wrote the catchiest melodies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 am 

Hi Riley,

Thanks for listening to my recording! I'm happy that I introduced you to Kosenko's music. Thank you too for your praise of my performance. You know, there were several late romantic composers who died in the early 20th century. I'm thinking of Rachmaninoff, Catoire, Bortkiewicz and Kosenko off hand. I'm sure there were more. Thanks again.

David