Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Heller, Gounod and Gershwin pieces
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:15 pm 

I'm new to this forum and would like to offer for your consideration 3 pieces I have been working on.
They are "Album Leaf" by Stephen Heller, "Prelude" by Charles Gounod and "Three-Quarter blues" by George Gershwin.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make recordings. :D

Steve Gallant

Attachments:
heller-16-14-gallant.mp3 [1.95 MiB]
Downloaded 55 times
gounod-prelude-gallant.mp3 [2.22 MiB]
Downloaded 46 times
gershwin-three-quarter-blues-gallant.mp3 [1.17 MiB]
Downloaded 50 times

Post subject: Re: Heller, Gounod and Gershwin pieces
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Welcome to PS. You play well but there's things that need be improved before these recordings could be exposed to the world-wide audience.

First is the sound quality. Your piano doesn't seem a bad instrument but the recording sounds rather muffled and (unless my ears deceive me) a bit biased towards one channel.

I've never heard any of these pieces, so nothing to compare it to. Some nitpicks on the playing:

Heller - You must make up your mind on how to play these 2-against-3 figures. The score is not clear if they're meant to be 2-3, or that the last notes should come together. Either way would be ok I guess, but be consistent and convincing. If you decide on 2-against-3, then you must really practice that
particular poly-rhythm a lot more. It is not a very strong piece and you need to give it your best shot.

Gounod - Needs a firmer tone, less pedal, and more conviction. It's not a strong piece either and you need to make people believe you believe in it :) The weaker the piece, the harder you need to work on it to make it worthwhile to the listener.

Gershwin - A fun piece but it sounds rather too timid. More schwung and fun, snap and bite please.

I've no doubt you can make a hell of a lot more of these pieces with some good polishing. I hope you can get some better recording equipment. Maybe
also open the lid of the piano (it's an upright isn't it ?) It takes some experimenting to get an acceptable recording sound.

Good to see you took care of the file names and ID3 tags. If you had not omitted the compose name in two if the Title fields they'd have been perfect :)

I hope these tips help you along.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm 

Thanks for your suggestions, Chris. They will be helpful. Yes, my piano (1 of two) is an old Mason & Hamlin upright. As for the recording equipment I'm afraid I'll just have to try making the most of what I have - a condenser mic, tube preamp and Sony VAIO computer with Audacity. If you think it will be fruitful I'll go back to work and resubmit!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Yes it's always fruitful to keep working on pieces. How long you should do that depends on your goals. If you aim to be a pianist on the site there is some more work to do on these. But I'm not sure the current sound quality will be acceptable. If you can afford 2 pianos you could probably afford a good portable WAV/MP3 recorder :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm 

Actually, my two pianos were free, handed down from each side of my family.
Are the WAV/MP3 recorders you refer to hardware or software? Do you have any suggestions, just to point me in the right direction?

S. G.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Recorders used by some people here, providing good quality for money, are

- Edirol R-9
- Zoom H4
- Tascam DR-1

None of these are actually new anymore. I'm sure by now there are newer brands and models and types that are comparable or better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

The Edirol R-09 is no longer manufactured. The newest Edirol is the R-26. And it sure looks like a super-duper recorder! One feature it has is that it can record in both WAV and MP3 formats simultaneously. Isn’t that neat?! Also, it has six-channel simultaneous recording capability. Wow!! I don’t really know what that means exactly, but it sounds cool…like maybe you will get a more fuller and rich sound in your recording.? It looks like the buttons are easier to see and use too. I really wish I could get one of these, but they are so expensive!!!

Here’s a link to the product if anyone is interested:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/R-26/

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano