Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Allemande in Bm (original)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 pm 
Here is a short piece I just completed.

I added links to the score (since I can't seem to be able to upload pdf's for some reason) and MP3 attached (me playing harpsichord) :

Score: http://gvancleef.com/pdf/Allemande_Bm-gvancleef.pdf
MP3: http://www.mektek.net/j2k/music/alleman ... ncleef.mp3

Happy Halloween!

Boo!

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Nice pleasant sounding piece (if a bit monotonous) and a beautiful instrument. It is a real one I presume, not a digital thingy ? I thought I heard some typical string sounds which probably only the real thing would produce.

Of course, composing a harpsichord Allemande, you pitch yourself against Bach whether you want it or not (likewise a Nocturne will invoke comparison with Chopin). Yours seems to be lacking a longer melody line, it is more a series of related episodes. The harmonies seem a bit meandering and tentative and it sounds like the rhythm is a bit irregular in places (could be my imagination). If you intended it like that, fine. If you wanted to write it in the style of the Baroque masters, more work to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:27 pm 

nice play on harpsichord. you are recreating the atomsphere of Bach....

Do you own that harpsichord? where can you buy one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:08 pm 

The harpsichord sounds beautiful to me too, and your own piece is nice too.

Maybe you could check how it sounds if you change the structure e.g. in a middle part - to start right hand first on quarter beats and left hand in the gaps, or to extend the 2 voices to 3 voices, or to try to find some more sophisticated harmonies to show that it is music from 21st and not 18th century.

Nevertheless, interesting piece and sound. Have you tried to play some Bach inventions or WTC preludes/fugues on the harpsichord? Would be interesting too, and will for sure find open ears to listen to here too...

Thank you for sharing that nice compositions with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:20 pm 
I have alot of other more modern sounding stuff. This was just a short exercise in two voice counterpoint I was playing with last week for fun.

BTW, the instrument is a Yamaha CLP-130 Digital Piano (haha fooled you lol) with full pressure sensitive dynamics, and a great set of instruments. I bought it for around $1995 last september. I have some piano compositions I am recording which are my own original sound. I'll be posting some stuff soon (to the Composers forum).

I practice with Bach all the time, but I doubt I would compare to the pianists that visit this board.
I prefer to concentrate more on composing fun, easy, playable music (for me lol). I struggle alot, but I am getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am 

WOW! Great piece! The clicks of the keyboard gave away the harpsichord sound to me. Otherwise though, reminds me a lot of Bach.