Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:31 am 

New here :)

One more, also recently recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD5t1IYvRws&hd=1

I'm very excited to be part of this forum. Seems to be a little more "tight knit" than the other ones out there :)

Next will be Chopin Etude Op.25 No.1 I think. Have to work out some details first haha

Noam

Attachments:
chopin-9-2-benhamou.mp3 [5.27 MiB]
Downloaded 229 times

Post subject: Re: Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:58 pm 

Nice interpretation ! Possibly a bit too polished ? I think that it could have more character...
Very nice Steinway sound ! However I am a bit disturbed by the lows sounding on left and the highs on right like in jazz piano recordings, which is the audio perspective from the player while I am so used to the inverse stereo image in classical piano recordings, which is the perspective from the audience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 pm 

Yes, very good. I listened to the YT video, through speakers which are close together over my head (shortage of real estate), and did not notice the left-right issue. (It's not likely that I would, given the arrangement of the speakers.)

The return to 'a tempo' for the last few bars did not bother me, but it might feel a bit fast to some listeners.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again, Noam.

I agree with the others...this is very nice! Your piano sounds great. I'm not crazy about how fast you played the very last few bars. It sort of brought me out of the soothing and relaxing mood I was in. Oh well, opinions about interpretation are...well....just opinions...haha. I thought everything else was great! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am 

I played the last couple of measures too fast in purpose to see if anyone would notice. You guys pasted the test. Hahaha just kidding.

But yeah, I have a bad tendency to rush pieces that are slow in tempo and that I have heard a million times. Especially if there are no change in chord progression.
thanks for this input because you guys are 100% correct that I shattered the mood I created by going back to the original tempo, or even maybe faster!

I'll try to re upload tomorrow and input the meta data. File name was ok though?

Didier , I am very new to recording. The only thing I have going for me is good piano and good microphones. My room acoustics are not very good so I find I get better sound recording closer. About 3-4 feet from the piano. My microphones are about 3 feet apart because I was thinking one for base one for treble. My thinking is wrong isn't it? Should I place them closer together?
Noam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 pm 

Nice sound and an interesting interpretation with lots of dynamics - for myself I find the fortes a bit overdone, as if trying to squeeze in more drama than the piece intends, but there is clearly a coherent approach here! Well done. Apart from the obvious rush in the final bars I would comment that some of the downbeats are a bit late, breaking the long phrases.

noambenhamou wrote:
I'm very excited to be part of this forum. Seems to be a little more "tight knit" than the other ones out there :)

Welcome! Yes this is a kind of special place. I hope you will also contribute by listening and commenting on efforts by other members.

Joachim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:19 am 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
Yes this is a kind of special place. I hope you will also contribute by listening and commenting on efforts by other members.
I wish we had a 'like' button!!!

noambenhamou wrote:
I'll try to re upload tomorrow and input the meta data. File name was ok though?
Yes, the file name is correct. The other tags are incorrect, but we can get to that later (if you intend to become a member?).

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Admin

noambenhamou wrote:
One more, also recently recorded.
Very fine playing indeed. Had the closing bars not been so brisk and matter-of-factly it would have been even better.

noambenhamou wrote:
Yes it is. IMO that is both its strength and weakness. You need to realize that PS is not just a (moderated) forum but also a website hosting recordings, so we need to be rather more critical than on other forums where recordings are just being posted but not published.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:59 am 

noambenhamou wrote:
My microphones are about 3 feet apart because I was thinking one for base one for treble. My thinking is wrong isn't it? Should I place them closer together?

The stereo image in the classical piano recording convention is rather narrow, which implies that the microphones are much closer together than in your setting. A typical microphone setting is shown by the attached picture (used by Deutsche Grammophon for instance in Hélène Grimaud album Resonances, see here at 1'19"). But it may be wider when the sound engineer is from the "new world" than when he is from the old Europa. :wink:

Attachments:
close.jpg
close.jpg [ 48.98 KiB | Viewed 1909 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:16 am 

That looks similar to the close mics used by the engineer at the studio where I record the expensive projects :)

He also uses a pair of mics farther away, and one in the hall for reverb.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 am 

The attached picture and the listening of this album make obvious that, if there is any other microphones, these ones are the main pair. Anyway, for avoiding small room sound typical in home recording, I put my microphones very close to the piano rim and I add digital reverberation.

Attachments:
Capture-1.jpg
Capture-1.jpg [ 42.17 KiB | Viewed 1873 times ]