Trying to record

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Re: Trying to record

Postby pianoman342 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Richard, I had a listen to your recording I think your piano sounds much better than the sound of the one your tuner compared to Donald Duck! For criticism this tempo does seem slow, but at this tempo the possibility for expression seems better. Maybe find a middle ground. Re a recorder, I have used the zoom h4 in college I liked it on one hand because it seems to record the slightest sounds. This can be a problem if you have pets or squeaky pedals, but it does make recordings more professional sounding.

Monica, that's interesting about the edirol recorders. Replaced three times? I imagine that right there is the reason they are discontinued !
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker

Site Admin

Postby pianolady » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 am

Most higher-end recorders are very sensitive and pick up soft sounds. I have to turn off my furnace/air conditioner, dishwasher, and hope one of my neighbors doesn't start cutting his grass when I make recordings. Regarding my Edirol - the machine itself works fine. I've dropped it several times and it keeps working. It's the adapter cord that is the problem. I guess Roland doesn't know how to make cords.... :roll: :)
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos:
my personal website:

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 am

The adapter is likely to be made in China as they all are. Maybe you should remove it before dropping the Edirol :P
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Daniel Hoehr

Postby Daniel Hoehr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:14 am

techneut wrote:Stay clear of the H2, it's not good enought for music.

I've been using the H2 for quite a while now with decent results.

Postby richard66 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:55 pm

I thank you all for your suggestions concerning recorders.

Thank you Riley for your opinion on the piece. As I mentioned, the speed is a bit a borderland, though, as you say, it allows for more expression. This is an aspect I am now working on and not only on thisp iece.
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Return to “Audition Room”