Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Kinderszenen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

Here are the files hopefully correctly named and tagged. In the end I added no reverb. I agree the sound is a bit boxy but at least it is reasonably clear, and however I add reverb it becomes muddied with a kind of swimming sound, in particular after the mp3 conversion. Unless it is a kind of trade secret it would be great if those more accomplished than me would share the audacity settings or other tricks in this respect.

Joachim

Schumann - Von fremden Ländern und Menschen
Schumann - Kuriose Geschichte
Schumann - Hasche-Mann
Schumann - Bittendes Kind
Schumann - Glückes genug
Schumann - Wichtige Begebenheit
Schumann - Träumerei
Schumann - Am Kamin
Schumann - Ritter vom Steckenpferd
Schumann - Fast zu ernst
Schumann - Fürchtenmachen
Schumann - Kind im Einschlummern
Schumann - Der Dichter spricht

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I will try to have these up sometime tomorrow. The tags are mostly fine. You forgot to make the genre "classical". But that's okay I can easily add that for you.

Regarding reverb: I don't use Audacity, but I add my reverb to the wav file and then convert to mp3. I also change the decay time depending on the piece. I always first save a 'raw' wav file just in case I mess around with settings too much and the sound gets weird. Then I can always try again.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

I use CoolEdit (a very old copy but it still works fine for me) with Concert Hall Light reverb. I've always liked this and used it consistently without changing the parameters. The params are shown in attached screenshot. Hope it's useful.

Attachments:
reverb.jpg
reverb.jpg [ 31.73 KiB | Viewed 422 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 pm 

Thanks Chris for your last post. I use Audacity myself, and as of the last release, they changed the reverb feature. I did not have time for much experimentation before my last set of recordings, so I used it sparingly.
Anyway, when I saw your graphic, I was envious of the presets. Then I looked at Audacity again and saw their preset button! I don't know how I missed it before, except that I was flustered when I updated the software and found myself having to learn a new feature.

Also, just a reminder to Joachim and other Audacity users, that version 2.0.4 has a new reverb engine which has some presets. Pre-2.0.4 is a third-party and finding some settings is a little more difficult, although there are suggestions on these message boards somewhere.

Joachim, I thought the recordings are fine, but probably the slower pieces (Traumerei, for instance) could use a little reverb. With most engines, the most subtle settings are usually those beginning with "Small Room" or "Medium Room".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

I've tried out all of the presets shown here but there's only one I really like. Occasionally I have used Large Occupied Hall for some organ recordings of big pieces. Would be interesting if using the same(ish) parameters in Audacity would yield the same result.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Joachim, these are up. Please check all links and confirm that they work. Also, you should have a pretty table like the others on the page, but I am having trouble making one, so please ask Chris.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'll do that tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Also, you should have a pretty table like the others on the page, but I am having trouble making one, so please ask Chris.

I've done it even without having been asked. You need me to resend that video I created about this ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 pm 

Hi Joachim I sampled your recordings and enjoyed them. I agree it is a very difficult set to play well. I am amazed at how much different these pieces can sound with your phrasing, or tempo. I did get the feeling that the rocking horse was a ride at a haunted house. I heard that Schumann injured his finger, possibly (and ironically)because he made finger contraption that would make him a better pianist. Don't know if he injured it in childhood, but if so wouldn't that be a shame as a composer probably relies on hand so much regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:46 pm 

Thanks all of you!

Perhaps coolEdit is the way to go but it seems it has been bought by Adobe and now sits behind a subscription wall. A pity.

pianolady wrote:
Please check all links and confirm that they work. Also, you should have a pretty table

Thanks! The links seem to work, and yes, there is a table!
techneut wrote:
I've done it even without having been asked.

Thanks!
pianoman342 wrote:
I am amazed at how much different these pieces can sound with your phrasing, or tempo. I did get the feeling that the rocking horse was a ride at a haunted house.

Yes, these are so well known that a different perspective could be interesting - it need not sound the same always! Though a haunted house is a bit much. Perhaps I overdid it there.