Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A short Lemmens trio (ORGAN)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:01 pm 

Hello,

Can you please view and critique my short trio? (I have played for just over a year.)

Thank you!

https://vimeo.com/74133063

Post subject: Re: A short Lemmens trio (ORGAN)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

First, the Audition Room is meant for posting more or less finished mp3 performances that are meant to go live on the site. A request to review a video is better posted elsewhere, like in the new "Works in progress" forum.

Now how do you manage to post a video rotated sideways ? Did you not test the link before posting it ?

I have almost zero experiences with romantic organ music so cannot advise much. All the notes seem there but it sounds rather sticky to me. In baroque music one would play more detached, create some air between the notes so as not to hear them overlap. I'd have chosen a deeper registration for the for
the pedal (though a light choice is also apt for trio music). When you have long notes, like the half note in the last bar, be sure to count them out and give them their full due (in this case even more as you have already taken the tempo back). You play it rather too short. Long notes are treacherous.

For a year of playing this seems not at all bad to me. These short trios look like excellent study material.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:00 pm 

Thanks for your feedback Mr. Breemer.
I'm new to the forum, and of course have no intentions of publishing my work, so I'll migrate over to the WIP, thanks for telling me.

Could you elaborate on the stickiness you hear? I wonder if that could be amended with more distinct registration for the claviers. The romantic legato was indeed intentional, but I don't want it to come across as sticky.

Yes, I knew the video was sideways. I have very limited video space on vimeo as I'm not going to buy the upgraded package, and I didn't want to upload another version. The angle of the camera was strange also due to not having a suitable ledge to balance it while I played, but I assumed the visuals were irrelevant since so many users use mp3's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Well, I don't know.... If you have a video then people will want to watch it. Otherwise you might as well use a still image, as many on YouTube do. Strange about Vimeo limiting your space, AFAIK on YT there's no such limitation.

I coined the term sticky because to my ears (which are admittedly baroque-attuned) there is insufficient separation between the notes. I've had to work so hard on playing detached that now I just can't imagine any other way. Maybe legato is appropriate for this music, I'm not sure.

Registration for trio pieces is a fine art. As a rule you want the 3 voices to be distinctive, but not radically different in a way that one draws the attention. In this case there could perhaps have been a bit more contrast. But there are so many ways to do it, it needs a lot of experimenting and planning. Ah, piano playing is so easy, you just sit down and go...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:23 pm 

Thank you! I do think the piece needs to breathe at some points, so perhaps I'll aim for more a baroque legato.