Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Magnard - Promenades 1 and 4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

I remembered to pick up this set again before getting too distracted by lots of other great stuff.
Here is a re-recording on no.1 where I cleaned up all read errors assorted fluffs. There still is one wrong note... go find it :D
And a new recording of no.4, which is the easiest of the set. Some more hard work to be done on the remaining items....

Magnard - Promenades - 1: Envoi (3:10)
Magnard - Promenades - 4: St. Cloud (2:35)

Post subject: Re: Magnard - Promenades 1 and 4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
I remembered to pick up this set again before getting too distracted by lots of other great stuff.
Here is a re-recording on no.1 where I cleaned up all read errors assorted fluffs. There still is one wrong note... go find it :D

Well ok, since you insist!
Bar 30-- LH 4th beat...you play an E# but it should be an E-natural.

Oh, and by the way, this is another composer bio for you... :P

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Bar 30-- LH 4th beat...you play an E# but it should be an E-natural.
Oops, that is my read mistake (it's not the wrong note I meant which is somewhere buried in a chord I think). This E# has always felt natural to me (hehe pun) as it creates a nice descending chromatic line. Would be a shame to spoil that so I'll leave this as it is.

pianolady wrote:
Not ! You looked at this set first !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm 

Very nice, Chris.

The Promenades are Opus 7, according to the Wikipedia article about Magnard. But when I save one of these files it's entitled with the "promenades" string and not the opus number. ?? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Stu.
Not sure why I chose to use the title rather than the opusnumber for the name. probably because I thought at the time this was his only piano work.
But it does not really matter much, it is just a convention.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Thanks Stu.
Not sure why I chose to use the title rather than the opusnumber for the name. probably because I thought at the time this was his only piano work.
But it does not really matter much, it is just a convention.

Just a convention? You are just trying to get out of everything! Shall I send you the naming-standard rules that you made? :roll: :lol:

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Not ! You looked at this set first !

hahaha…nice try again, but that ain’t gonna work. I have a solution, though. Move your two recordings into the Various Composers table. After all, two relatively obscure pieces do not really warrant a composer page. Your call….

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Just a convention? You are just trying to get out of everything!
Damn, I've been found out. Actually this is one less important rule. I recently put up Joe's Carnaval which did not adhere either. It does not matter at all, technically speaking, and lots of pieces don't even have opus numbers.

pianolady wrote:
hahaha…nice try again, but that ain’t gonna work. I have a solution, though. Move your two recordings into the Various Composers table. After all, two relatively obscure pieces do not really warrant a composer page. Your call….
Hm, I don't like composers lurking in the Various page. People won't easily find them there. A complete set of Promenades (which I am committed to) does IMO warrant a Magnard page, plus he is a composer that I want people to know about - assuming people will want to look further than just the piano. His symphonies and symphonic poems are gorgeous. Bowen, I had actually intended to record some more pieces of. I do consider him an important piano composer so I created a page. Ok, an empty page doesn't look good.... but arguably better than none at all ?

One other possibility (I'm just trying to get out of it of course :P ) is to dispose of bios. Or maybe just include the Wikipedia link. There is too much redundancy on the web already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 am 
Site Admin

I can't believe you are saying these things! Is it Opposite Day or something? :?

After a brief glance at the Various list, I see about four or five composers that should have their own page. And I do think we should keep the bios. Sure would be nice if we had some volunteers to write some of the new ones, like we used to! Especially since we boast about that on the home page somewhere...that our composer bios are all unique and written by our members. But I guess just a Wiki link is better than nothing. It's nice if people could listen to some recordings, and NOT have to go to another site to find information about the composer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:14 am 

Hi Chris,

I listened a couple of times to these pieces. His idiom seems very extroverted. And he uses interesting and beautiful altered chords at times too. His music is certainly original. He reminds me more of the British composers at the time like Bridge, for example, more so than the French composers. He could probably be considered to be a late romantic. Very fine playing.

David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I can't believe you are saying these things! Is it Opposite Day or something? :?
Every day is Opposite Day for me. It's a way of life :P Also, I sometimes change my mind about certain things. I really only pound on the rules insofar as they are important for things to work properly. Or at least that is my intention.

pianolady wrote:
After a brief glance at the Various list, I see about four or five composers that should have their own page.
Specifically ? I only singled out Bridge. Although, maybe Vine and Lieberman too. Hard to lay down any good criteria here, except for admins like me being too lazy to create a page.

pianolady wrote:
And I do think we should keep the bios. Sure would be nice if we had some volunteers to write some of the new ones, like we used to!
Sure would. Can't get the staff these days, can ya ...

pianolady wrote:
Especially since we boast about that on the home page somewhere...that our composer bios are all unique and written by our members.
That is Robert's blurb which I always found rather pretentious, given that he mostly copied from WikiPedia and only changed a couple of words to avoid copyright issues. I think we'd better delete that remark.

pianolady wrote:
But I guess just a Wiki link is better than nothing. It's nice if people could listen to some recordings, and NOT have to go to another site to find information about the composer.
Maybe so. Although I suspect a great many people do not look at the pages, but just have a link to the 'New recordings' page (or the 'All recordings' page, if they can find it....).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
I listened a couple of times to these pieces. His idiom seems very extroverted. And he uses interesting and beautiful altered chords at times too. His music is certainly original. He reminds me more of the British composers at the time like Bridge, for example, more so than the French composers. He could probably be considered to be a late romantic. Very fine playing.

Thank you ! I'm not sure whom Magnard can be compared. He certainly had a very personal and integer voice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Specifically ? I only singled out Bridge. Although, maybe Vine and Lieberman too. Hard to lay down any good criteria here, except for admins like me being too lazy to create a page.

For sure Bridge. Liebermann is important, but we have only one of his recordings. Cage too – very popular, yet we have only two recordings. Then there is Bellini and Verdi – two more famous names, but I know, they aren’t piano composers so maybe the Various page is best. I think I will make a page for Donostia, as I may record some more of his preludes. Vine – again, only one recording..

techneut wrote:
Maybe so. Although I suspect a great many people do not look at the pages, but just have a link to the 'New recordings' page (or the 'All recordings' page, if they can find it....).

Well, I don’t know….part of me thinks that we should continue striving to better the site by filling in the bio gaps, but another part thinks that I am also feeling too lazy to do all the work. But you know what I also like? When we have a little blurb about a specific set – right there on the specific set’s page. Like some information about Granados’ Spanish Dances – when they were composed, and any other interesting tidbit. I wish we could fill in all that kind of information too. I know I’m guilty of not doing that as often as I used to.
Some day when I feel awake and perky I may attend to some of these things…

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, ideally every page should be brimming with useful and unique information. If we had a full-time writer and researcher, or alternatively some enthusiastic nerd without a life, all that would be possible. Personally I don't feel like doing this anymore. Which has more to do with priorities than with being lazy, same for you I would assume.