Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Busoni - Sonatinas 4 and 5
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here are my new recordings of the 4rd and 5th of Busoni's Six Sonatinas. No.5 is a free adaptation of Bach's Fantasia and fugue in D Minor BWV 905 which I recorded for the site two years ago. Busoni's view is personal, dark, and fascinating. His deep respect for, and understanding of, Bach is second to none.

Busoni - Sonatina No.4 (In Diem Nativitatis Christi MCMXVII) (8:14)
Busoni - Sonatina No.5 (Sonatina Brevis in Signo Joannis Sebastiani Magni) (5:46)

Post subject: Re: Busoni - Sonatinas 4 and 5
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 pm 

I often find Busoni has a slightly disturbing harmonic sense and this is no different. The pieces aren't my cup of tea (you might guess that!) but they are interesting and I think you play them pretty well. I think there's occasions where a little fluidity is lost but it's not a serious problem. The bass of the piano sounds really nice; the octave from c' to c'' I'm a bit suspicious of the tuning. There's some nice moments of atmospheric cloudiness which, from my limited attempts to interpret his idiom, seems appropriate. (I've played some of the Elegies, but not much else). Interesting upload, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Andrew, good of you to comment even if the music is not exactly your cup of tea :) I hear what you're saying - I find Busoni often too weird and forbidding to appreciate, and sometimes just plain dour. The Sonatas, except the forbidding no.2, are an exception. Given your taste for the
operatic, have you ever considered including no.6 in your repertoire ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 am 

techneut wrote:
Andrew, good of you to comment even if the music is not exactly your cup of tea :) I hear what you're saying - I find Busoni often too weird and forbidding to appreciate, and sometimes just plain dour. The Sonatas, except the forbidding no.2, are an exception. Given your taste for the
operatic, have you ever considered including no.6 in your repertoire ?

Yes, I have looked at it but I feel that it flits disturbingly between two different harmonic styles (the A major theme entry towards the end I find actively incongruous) and I ended up messing around with the Horowitz Carmen instead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:20 am 

Chris,

I had a listen to these Busoni Sonatinas. To me they are a study of relating two dissimilar things together (the 4 moreso than the 5) I think you do a faithful job of interpreting them, I didn't get a sense that they needed more pedal or less, the notes modulating seem to be the "what works in this piece is..." to them. I've never gotten deep into Busoni, but the frequent modulating is something I like, recalling Cesar Franck. Come to think of it, Franck may have been Busoni's predecessor in some sense them both having lived in the same century.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 pm 

hi, Chris!

I have fascination for these bizarre pieces! See how strangely no. 4 ends... amazing! And names in Latin make it sound even more mystical! :lol:
I don't know these pieces well, but your playing seems nice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I had a listen to these Busoni Sonatinas. To me they are a study of relating two dissimilar things together (the 4 moreso than the 5) I think you do a faithful job of interpreting them, I didn't get a sense that they needed more pedal or less, the notes modulating seem to be the "what works in this piece is..." to them. I've never gotten deep into Busoni, but the frequent modulating is something I like, recalling Cesar Franck. Come to think of it, Franck may have been Busoni's predecessor in some sense them both having lived in the same century.

Thanks Riley. An interesting comparison... Franck the blissful, devout and conservative organist, and Busoni the restless, dark and modernist piano lion. I see not much common ground in them. Their lives don't really overlap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

luissarro wrote:
I have fascination for these bizarre pieces! See how strangely no. 4 ends... amazing! And names in Latin make it sound even more mystical! :lol: I don't know these pieces well, but your playing seems nice.

Ha, a fellow Busonian :D Yes, Latin names do have great appeal. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur. I know that is why you want to record Sorabji :D