Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Riley Tucker: Giacoso
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am 

Hi Riley,
here is my recording of your piece. It was a pleasure to play it and I hope you are half away satisfied with my performance. I decided to take a good flow concerning the tempi and your "Allegro"-part I play just double time of the Larghetto before, so that the listener hasn´t the feeling of a real "tempo change". :wink: Just the "Moderato"-part I play a bit slower. I think, the flowing tempo fits to the character of your piece, since "giacoso" means blithe and humorously. I thank you very much for your dedication!

You can watch me also playing your piece on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=godVQ8TladQ

The mp3-file is exact the sound-track of the video above:
Attachment:
tucker-giacoso-pfaul.mp3 [2.95 MiB]
Downloaded 189 times

Post subject: Re: Riley Tucker: Giacoso
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

A really nice and substantial piece ! I'd have written some of the chords a bit differently, but then I am better at 'correcting' someone else's compositions than at thinking up one of my own :D

The performance leaves nothing to wish IMHO. Good to see some real music on your YT channel again Andreas :-P

@Riley: Is there a specific reason this is called Giacoso instead of Giocoso ? Apart from Google not working in China ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
The performance leaves nothing to wish IMHO.

Thanks for your comment, Chris. This piece is - like my sonata - not a too difficult one, but musically it really has some good substance.

Quote:
Good to see some real music on your YT channel again Andreas :-P

My song covers are real music and do have a better quality than some your piano recordings! :P

Quote:
@Riley: Is there a specific reason this is called Giacoso instead of Giocoso ? Apart from Google not working in China ?

I think, you are right here. My music lexikon says also "giocoso" and I couldn´t find the expression "giacoso".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:16 am 

Andreas,

Thank you very kindly for this wonderful gift! I had a listen to your performance recording. It is an excellent aural reproduction of the score. I think it captures the spirit of the name very well, IMO it sounds playful, except the middle section which was my intent. I like your decision to adjust the tempo to double time of the larghetto was a good idea. I think, the first few bars could be rewritten to twice the duration, but maybe I will revise that later. The middle section has temporarily the finger stretching of a Bach Fugue, I like how you taper off the phrases. I think you have the right idea, and you would considering you are very familiar with Bach's WTC! For everybody else, Andreas was telling me it reminds him of his teacher's Franz's style. I can definitely see this as there are features of imitation, and I think in many of his pieces there is a healthy dose of it! I also like the ending very much. It is meant to end simply and I think that has been acheived. The retransition was also successful, from m.42-44. So to Andreas, I say thanks again!

Chris,

Thanks for listening and your compliment! I am curious what chords you would change? But yes, I don't deny that my pieces can be rewritten for different reasons! :)

Quote:

Hehe. Yes, "Giocoso," it is! not "Giacoso," mea culpa! Google sometimes is not functionable here, but I think I read the tempo marking and then I subconsciously thought of my friend Joe who's last name is GIAcomo! :P

Quote:
Good to see some real music on your YT channel again Andreas

I wouldn't know as I don't have access to YT, here, but I would guess everything on Andreas channel is music in some form or fashion?! :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I wouldn't know as I don't have access to YT, here, but I would guess everything on Andreas channel is music in some form or fashion?! :?

Yes you could certainly say that :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm 

Hi Riley,
I´m glad you like my rendition and I thank you for the kind dedication! :D And it would be nice to play another piece by you. So, just send me another one you want me to play, please!

Quote:
I am curious what chords you would change?

Me, too, Chris. :!:

Quote:
but I think I read the tempo marking and then I subconsciously thought of my friend Joe who's last name is GIAcomo! :P

That´s really a funny story. I like things like that. :lol:

Quote:

I absolutely agree and I can understand your confusion! Chris and me, we had a little difference of opinion concerning some song covers (of pop music) I have made with one of my pupils. That girl really has some talent and - like I do with all my (promising and talented) pupils - I wanted to support her. So, the recordings for my channel, which were made by the wish of the pupil and with great enthusiasm, were a valuable motivation for her and she could gain and learn a lot. Of course, they are not perfect and professional -one can´t expect that from a young pupil-, like many of Chis´ mainly earlier recordings are not, too (as he has recognized himself at several places also in this forum). So, from my view no reason to make a problem of it. (Chris and me we agreed to disagree to some points and so this shouldn´t be a problem any more.)
I consider myself to be a musical "universalist", that means, principally I´m open for all styles and epoques by distinguishing quality of pieces, of course. I´m principally also open for pop music and jazz and - especially! - film music, which I perform every year with my school orchestra. As a good music and school pedagogue in times of today this openness is absolutely necessary and important. And everyone, who would like to have an amicable contact with me, has to accept this positive feature of my character. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm 

A successful collaboration! @Riley, a word of warning about the structure though: considering it is in a fairly classical style, your B section is in a very remote key harmonically. I've been warned about similar issues in my writing. I actually think you get away with it (though you shouldn't). I'm not sure why, but possibly because there's already been a hint of B maj earlier. One thing that intrigues me - is the passage from 0.41 (and the similar one near the end) a reference to Ode to Joy? Considering the title, it would be a sly bit of humour.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 am 

Andrew,

Quote:
A successful collaboration! @Riley, a word of warning about the structure though: considering it is in a fairly classical style, your B section is in a very remote key harmonically. I've been warned about similar issues in my writing. I actually think you get away with it (though you shouldn't). I'm not sure why, but possibly because there's already been a hint of B maj earlier. One thing that intrigues me - is the passage from 0.41 (and the similar one near the end) a reference to Ode to Joy? Considering the title, it would be a sly bit of humour.

Thanks for listening and your comment. I agree, I think it was a successful collaboration, as well. I now look forward to playing the complete set of Andreas sonata in d moll. In regards to your comment, in C major, the remote key is the leading tone, (as you rightly point out, B maj) so there is a little chromaticism to this piece, though I tried to write it in the classical style. Excellent, you got the Ode to Joy reference! It is rather subtle and not dressed up in counterpoint (as per the orchestral version), but yes, that little snippet a homage there to Beethoven!

Andreas,
Quote:
(Indeed it´s c-sharp-minor and the A-part is in C-major.) Concerning a similarity to the "Ode an die Freude" I only can discover a rhythmical aspect (it´s all in quarters), but not really a melodic one comparing with the score.

It is Ode an die Fruede, wow! I've never known it that way! :lol: Good to hear it in it's native tongue :) It is only for a second in m. 11 and 12 there is a faint resemblence to the main theme melodically. Mostly in m. 12, m. 11 would have to be altered to make for a more faithful rehashing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 pm 

Very nice! At times it has the sound of a carol. Do you also compose vocal works?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Riley,
I think you've done what I sometimes do, which is Edit someone's post (Andreas' post in this case) instead of Quote it. That makes for confusing reading, especially if you then quote someone else in the same post too :D These buttons 'Edit' and 'Quote' are too close together... bad design.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am 

Andrew wrote:
Quote:
Mostly in m. 12, m. 11 would have to be altered to make for a more faithful rehashing.

Yes, I see now, if one would change the first three notes of measure 11 to a, a, b flat and the last note of measure 12 to a and add in measure 13 a (dotted quarter) g (eigth) g (half note), than one would have the original theme of the "Ode an die Freude" (Ode to Joy)! :D Bravo to your good ability of association!

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Riley,
I think you've done what I sometimes do, which is Edit someone's post (Andreas' post in this case) instead of Quote it. That makes for confusing reading, especially if you then quote someone else in the same post too :D These buttons 'Edit' and 'Quote' are too close together... bad design.

Indeed, that is a bit confusing to read my name as author of the text Andrew wrote. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:15 pm 

@ Joachim,

Quote:
Very nice! At times it has the sound of a carol. Do you also compose vocal works?

Thanks! I only have 3 vocal pieces thus far in my repetoire, it is mostly piano music, though I was lucky enough to sing in choral union my last semester of college. So perhaps so pieces by Thompson, Lauridsen and Meachem wound up in here in some ways :)

@ Chris

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, yes, I hit the wrong button. I think I have corrected it now.

@ Andreas,

Thanks, I hope that Beethoven would like the association!

Quote:
Indeed, that is a bit confusing to read my name as author of the text Andrew wrote.

Sorry about the mistake. I have tried to correct it, hope it is ok, now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:15 pm 

PIanoman342 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, I hope that Beethoven would like the association!

I´m sure he would! :)

Quote:
I have tried to correct it, hope it is ok, now.

Thank you!