Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: more Mompou....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

pianolady wrote:
andrew wrote:
I'm not sure you really have to keep playing and maintaining pieces that would be considered "core repertoire". I've played a lot of piano music in my life (maybe not as much as you or Chris, but practically all the Beethoven sonatas, for example): while I wouldn't consider much of what I've learnt to be either polished or ready, if hypothetically somebody said to me "you can play at venue x next week" immodest though it may seem, I would feel confident with certain pieces within my repertoire, even though I've not practiced them for months, in some cases years. That's basically because I've spent so much time studying and thinking about them that I have very clearly defined views on interpretation and any technical issues have already been previously surmounted, so re-conquering them is a much simpler matter of reminding my fingers what to do.

I guess I'll just never be that way. I can pull out old material, but I have to practice it HARD again to get into performing condition.

Does it perhaps depend on how much work you had to do first time round? I get the impression you're quite meticulous with your preparation (which is a good thing) - I'm usually a bit haphazard. I have some Alkan which I would like to revise, as it's the composer's bicentenary. I put in an enormous amount of work on it first time (even then it wasn't all that great :shock: ) : in no way could I have it ready in a week, nevermind a month. On the other hand, the pieces I've been comfortable with and have played in public maybe a dozen times I'd be absolutely fine with. It's like they are now natural: it's difficult to explain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 pm 

pianolady wrote:
andrew wrote:
Very enjoyable recording - nice contrast between the melancholy of the first section and the lively dance following. I don't know the piece, but nothing jumps out as incongruous or problematic, and the playing comes across as precise and with conviction.

Thank you for listening/commenting, Andrew.

andrew wrote:
I'm not sure you really have to keep playing and maintaining pieces that would be considered "core repertoire". I've played a lot of piano music in my life (maybe not as much as you or Chris, but practically all the Beethoven sonatas, for example): while I wouldn't consider much of what I've learnt to be either polished or ready, if hypothetically somebody said to me "you can play at venue x next week" immodest though it may seem, I would feel confident with certain pieces within my repertoire, even though I've not practiced them for months, in some cases years. That's basically because I've spent so much time studying and thinking about them that I have very clearly defined views on interpretation and any technical issues have already been previously surmounted, so re-conquering them is a much simpler matter of reminding my fingers what to do.

I guess I'll just never be that way. I can pull out old material, but I have to practice it HARD again to get into performing condition.

And I was taught that once mastered, any given piece need to be revised now and then, as Andrew says.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Does it perhaps depend on how much work you had to do first time round? I get the impression you're quite meticulous with your preparation (which is a good thing) - I'm usually a bit haphazard. I have some Alkan which I would like to revise, as it's the composer's bicentenary. I put in an enormous amount of work on it first time (even then it wasn't all that great :shock: ) : in no way could I have it ready in a week, nevermind a month. On the other hand, the pieces I've been comfortable with and have played in public maybe a dozen times I'd be absolutely fine with. It's like they are now natural: it's difficult to explain.

Therein lies the crux of my problem: I’m a studio musician...lol

If someone asked me to perform for say...an hour, I do have a pretty good idea what pieces I’d take out and relearn. It wouldn’t be as hard as starting on a piece from scratch. And I do work on pieces meticulously, but once something’s been recorded, I’m on to the next piece. After merely a couple weeks, I don’t remember the former piece at all. Last night I tried to play Granados’ no.2 Goyesca from memory and I couldn’t get past the 2nd bar! Can you believe that?!! I had that piece so well-learned and memorized. I was shocked more than usual. I must be a scatterbrain…

I don’t know why I have this strong urge to keep learning something new. I almost wish I could stop now and just be satisfied with playing my past favorites. Probably then I would have something to call my ‘core repertoire’.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 pm 

Quote:
I've been listening to him play his own music for a while now and he takes a lot of liberties with the beat. A lot of pushing and pulling, or one hand coming down before the other hand, etc.

I take back my comment then. I don't know Mompou well; I just know this type of rhythm from other pieces by other people.

It is true that with review, it takes longer to get the more difficult pieces back in shape. For stuff that needs to be ready in the short term I do go back a couple of difficulty levels :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 am 

Hi Monica,

Had a listen to this recording. I like your phrasing, and dynamics. It's nice how this music, though starting on a sad note, picks up a jovial theme and ends on a better note :) I haven't really got into the Mompou Cancion y Danza set. This is a nice introduction.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Hi Monica,

Had a listen to this recording. I like your phrasing, and dynamics. It's nice how this music, though starting on a sad note, picks up a jovial theme and ends on a better note :) I haven't really got into the Mompou Cancion y Danza set. This is a nice introduction.

Thanks, Riley. All of the 'Songs and Dances' start with either a sad or tender 'song' followed by a lively dance. The whole set is very nice! I was practicing some Mompou last night (Musical Callada) and was thinking that I'm getting a little Mompou-ed out. But when I think of the Cancions y Danzas, then I perk up again.. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com