Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Chopin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:09 pm 

Let us say it is so the way I play it, but then I have not studied baroque practice as you have.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm 

Hello Richard - sorry I'm late to the party on this one; been traveling last month or so. I'm very happy to see you taking on a Chopin Prelude! :)

Mostly I like the balance between your LH and RH, and you played all the LH notes evenly from what I could hear. Nice job.

Adding to some earlier comments, for me I found the tempo a bit too fast. It is a matter of preference of course, and I could learn to like a faster version as long as it doesn't feel "rushed" - a subjective line I know!

Early in the piece, when the melody repeats itself in several adjacent measures, I always try to give each measure its own character. To me, and it was probably an teacher of mine from a long time ago that said this, Chopin wouldn't idly just repeat the same measure. Something to think about as you shape the phrases.

One of the downsides to [perceived] rushing is that it takes away from the intensity of the climax of the song. Another thing to think about is to build that phrase a bit more dramatically, and then die off into the end of the piece more decisively.

Nice job overall!

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm 

Thank you, Matt! This recording was not up to standards (mine also, come to think of it) so your comments are welcome and pertinent. Too fast it is, but being to fast, slowing down should boost my confidence which will, of course, improve the quality of playing. About making each measure different I do not know. Would it not be like varying the recurring verse of a rondeau just so that it is not the same, even if it is saying the same thing? Indeed Chopin does vary his phrases, but normally he notates these. Of course you might say that each bar is different (and the left hand is) so the character of the melody must change in accordance to what the left hand plays. I shall look into this. Hopefully I will be able to make a good recording in the near future, and, to compete with other Chopin on the site, it will need to be very good!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm 

Richard wrote:
Indeed Chopin does vary his phrases, but normally he notates these. Of course you might say that each bar is different (and the left hand is) so the character of the melody must change in accordance to what the left hand plays.
Good point and sorry if I added any confusion with this comment. My suggestion about differing the measures poorly worded I think. Really I'm talking about shaping the phrases. From beginning through 3rd beat of measure 3 is one phrase that, without some shaping - despite the changing LH, it could be at risk of sounding repetitive. Ditto for 4th beat of measure 3 through measure 7 or so (depending on your execution).

It was just a suggestion for your consideration - you pulled these sections off quite well.

Richard wrote:
This recording was not up to standards (mine also, come to think of it) so your comments are welcome and pertinent.
Well I can tell you put some time into it. This prelude in particular may be played a lot, but it's harder than most people realize to pull off well. Great job!

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't really followed all the developments here. Should some version of this go live on the site now ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 pm 

I have the impression that the green light was not given, though I might be mistaken. Maybe it is you who must cast the deciding vote. I shall neither say please do nor please do not.