Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin-Mazurka in Op. 50 N.3 - Roberto Carnevale, piano
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:27 pm 

Hi Members of Piano Society.
I submit you my recording of Chopin's Mazurka op. 50 n. 3. I hope you will enjoy it.
Roberto Carnevale

Admin edit: replaced attachment by live link
Mazurka in C Sharp Minor Op.50 No.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

First of all, what kind of piano is that? It sounds great.
Second, if you have been reading the posts here from the other members, you probably saw the lively conversations regarding tempo and personal interpretation. Your interpretation was quite different from what I am used to, but that of course doesn't mean anything bad. I think your recording sounded very good. The tempo was fine and all notes correct. I'm wondering about what your score shows in the measures 2 and 6 - the quarter notes in both hands - In my score they hit at the same time. You play it like two eighth notes. Maybe this is just your style? Also, you add a lot of ritardandos, which sounded more than just rubato, and again this is quite different from what I'm used to. Even so, I did like your version. It's fun to hear the way other people play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:29 pm 

nice play. Have you noticed the recording distance is far from the piano as compared to mine recording. if I am not wrong , the lids are opened too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:23 am 

That was sublime. Your tone control is excellent. I did find some accels and crescs to sudden and severe; maybe reduce the contrast just a bit. The ff sections were a little harsh, perhaps a little less volume? The negative points are greatly outweighed by the positive ones. Overall, this is one of the best recordings I've ever heard of this Mazurka. Your technical skill is obvious and your artistic imagination is extraordinary. Are you a professional?

I look forward to your next recording!

Pete

Was that a Mason & Hamelin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:41 am 
Site Admin

A very good rendition of this wonderful Mazurka ! Great sound, lovely tone. The recording and instrument sound of professional level, and the playing sort of does, too.

Your rubato and dynamics are extremely free, even a bit too much sometimes. This is not a particularly dance-like Mazurka, but there must still be some sort of flow. The rubato is a bit exaggerated in places. You have a tendency to rush in the tutti passages - take your time ! You also have a slight tendency to play right-before-left and to play chords like arpeggios (some examples in the first couple of bars). Lastly, I think you use too much pedal in the middle section, making it sound too blurred.

But these all very minor things - this is still a great performance. Please provide bio information and we'll add you to the site. I am also curious about your recording setup, as the sound is so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:48 am 

Thank you Roberto, for that beautiful played Mazurka.

It is a big pleasure to listen to someone who plays with such a feeling as you do. Your playing style is so confident, there is for me nothing to question open whether it is too fast or slow played, too much or too less rubato or anything else. It simply sounds wonderful to me.

Your recording shows me how much can be done (and encourages to long for) regarding expression to present the inherent beauty literally every Chopin Mazurka has.

The day could not start nicer because of listening to your take, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:11 am 

Roberto Carnevale the jazz pianist, I presume?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:
Roberto Carnevale the jazz pianist, I presume?

Pete

Classical pianist too and a bit famous if I am not misinformed. Welcome to Piano Society!

Extremely well performed and I do like your use of rubato. A lot of feeling and touch and I do not really have anything to pick on.