Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Chopin's 24 Études (new approach on the realization)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:56 am 
-

Last edited by guybacos on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Chopin's 24 Études (My interpretation)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 am 

Wow Guy, these are really excellent. I listened to 3 from Op25: the g# min double 3rds (very well controlled and nuanced, demonstrating excellent technical ability), the b minor octaves (again really fine playing, though you take the "B" section slower than I care for), and the a minor Winter -Wind (again, really great playing: I especially thought your approach to the return of the "A" material was really great!). These are a true delight and are representative of artistically advanced and refined playing. Thank you for sharing these with us. I gather that they are all performed on some digital piano.

Admiringly,
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 am 

Guy,
I feel your interpretation of Op.10, No.6 is very artistic, but the quick decay of the treble melody notes and the forthright playing of the LH material causes the execution of the voicing to suffer a bit on this one. Admittedly, Chopin has crafted a physics-difficult task with the voicing that the music requires versus what a piano can produce, but I think the contrast between your melody RH and the accompanying (and busy) LH part could have been greater, especially where the RH melody notes are long. I know this piece doesn't sound difficult to play, but it is very difficult to manage the voicing. Just my opinion.
Clap, clap, clap
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 am 
-

Last edited by guybacos on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Whoa, giving Pollini a run for his money ?

I sampled some of these but the sheer inhuman perfection and glassy sound bother me. Having read this on the Vienna Symphonic Library website

Quote:
He recently recorded the Études Op. 10 and Op. 25 with version 1.1 of the Vienna Imperial and was amazed how easily it could be customized to suit the music. “Being able to balance the registers and even the single keys individually made the Études shine much more.” –Guy Bacos

and reading elsewhere that you are a skilled MIDI programmmer, it seems to me that these are not only digitally recorded but also digitally manipulated. To be honest we are not to keen on this kind of thing. Yes we do have John Grant's digital WTC on the site but that is an artifact of the past. I also find it strange that there seems to be no footage of you physically playing in all these videso, not is there any other piano recording or video to be found anywhere.

Sorry to sound dismissive Guy, but we've seen more than enough (partly) artificial recordings here in the recent past !

Also, Audition Room is for posting submissions for the site, not for posting Youtube links. I will put a note about that in the Forum description.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, Guy, but I agree with Chris. Although these recordings sound very nice, they are just too nice and that is what bothers me. We all know that you are extremely adept at using technology with regards to writing out your original compositions, so it only makes sense that these etudes are produced with a great deal of technology as well. To explain my personal thoughts on this: I feel that I am an amateur player who works very hard in learning how to play certain pieces and then making recordings and videos which hopefully show/prove my hard work. Using technology to make a perfect recordings of a whole set of pieces is cheating and makes me feel bad because I am not able to play nearly that well and make perfect recordings like your set here. It would be nice if we could actually 'see' you play something on a real piano. Why don't you make a video that really shows you playing, as Chris points out? Then I would probably change my mind and think that you can play piano. As of now, I don't know how much of your music is made with your fingers and how much is made with your computer.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 pm 

techneut wrote:
I also find it strange that there seems to be no footage of you physically playing in all these videso, not is there any other piano recording or video to be found anywhere.

I wondered the same thing. :(
I agree with Monica and hope he will show us some of his playing, because to claim performing the entire set of Chopin's Etudes (minus 3) is really representing yourself as an accomplished pianist. The flip-side, if our concerns are true, is that my praise is likely hollow in his ears and heart.

Guy, SHOW US THE MONEY!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:27 pm 
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 pm 
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Guy, we're neither being rough nor dismissing anything (though yes, I said I sounded dismissive). Just voicing the impression this batch of insanely perfect recordings makes on us.

Even if you can play these quite well, which I do not doubt, using digital technology to enhance and shape your recordings the way you want them does not cut it. If you have been around this forum a bit, you KNOW how we feel about this topic.

I am a programmer and IT guy myself, and I understand that new technology is attractive to many people. But if this is the future of piano playing, I feel sad. It is like watching these movies where you don't know if anything you see is real or not, or looking at airbrushed models with skins like the finest quality paper. I may be getting old but all this technology applied to art disgusts me. I'll have the warts, moles and scars any time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:22 pm 
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 pm 

--

Last edited by synergy543 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Oh hello synergy543, welcome to PS and thanks for straight away accusing us of hypocrisy :roll:

Have you been around this forum and site a bit, do you know what we stand for, and what discussions we've had in the past about this topic? Or are you just here to stir up controversy ? Who are you anyway ? Your nickname seems to be associated with wetsuits rather than music.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

guybacos wrote:
You should simply appreciate what's nice here and stop focussing on the rest.

Oh alright, you telling us what we should do makes it easier.

It's nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
-

Last edited by guybacos on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next