Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Cervantes, Danza Cubana
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:42 am 

I found this piece in a nice collection titled "the Modern Piano" subtitle "The Influence

of Society, Style and Musical Trends on the Great Piano Composers." Edited by Nancy

Bachus. Published by Alfred.

music by Ignacio Cervantes (1847 - 1905) "Los tres golpes: Danza cubana."

recording by: Justin Philip Nash on a Yamaha P-140 digital piano.

Post subject: Re: Cervantes, Danza Cubana
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

I am a bit surprised to see you back Justin, as you've been a bit funny about your presence here and repeatedly asked me to remove you which I eventually did. I remember you leaving in a bit of a strange mood. Before saying 'Welcome back' I'd like to know if you are here to stay this time ?

It seems like you have not been idle in the meantime. Excellent playing, nice and bouncy. Is this Danza really so ridiculously short, or does your book have an abridged version ? Usually only kiddie pieces are this short, and this one seems no kid piece. The digital sound is rather dry. Can you improve that ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:12 pm 

Creo que lo tocas demasiado rapido. No se puede sentir el ritmo.
(Hoy vamos a comer una cena de Noche Buena estilo Cubano: un lechon asado con platanos maduros, arros con frijoles negros, yuca con mojo y para postre un flan!)

Havana Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 am 

I guess I'd have to know what you mean by dry? Like not enough reverb? Or

the timbre? I can only change the timbre (resonance) to "Bright" "Normal" or "Mellow."

The real solution would be to record it on a nice grand. Which I can do perhaps when

I'm not so busy with school work. =(

Well Chris to be honest, I'd like to be here to stay so to speak, but not here with a profile

on the website but just in the forums? Is that OK? Could I just simply hang out in the

forums and submit works time and again for suggestions? Or is this too stingy on my behalf?

For example I appreciate musical-mid's suggestions. Indeed, the score calls for many

ritardations, etc... but when I did them it made such a short piece sound "scatter-brained."

But maybe just an overall slowing down a little bit would be nice.

As for the score I do believe it's the official version because, for all the other pieces in the

book, I recognize them as the official versions. So I am guessing it must be a part of a

larger suite? In this case I think it will be a fun project to record some more.

Please tell me more about what you mean about the "dry" digital sound though, I only have

a net book with ear phones so I can't really hear how it sounds on a nice stereo system.

And let me know if it's possible to be a user but just in the forums too thanks!

Best!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

mega_ronin_344 wrote:
Well Chris to be honest, I'd like to be here to stay so to speak, but not here with a profile
on the website but just in the forums? Is that OK? Could I just simply hang out in the
forums and submit works time and again for suggestions? Or is this too stingy on my behalf?

Nope, this is fine of course. Not everybody in the forum is required to be an artist on the site.

mega_ronin_344 wrote:
As for the score I do believe it's the official version because, for all the other pieces in the
book, I recognize them as the official versions. So I am guessing it must be a part of a
larger suite? In this case I think it will be a fun project to record some more.

That would be nice.

mega_ronin_344 wrote:
Please tell me more about what you mean about the "dry" digital sound though, I only have
a net book with ear phones so I can't really hear how it sounds on a nice stereo system.

I find this hard to explain if you can't hear it yourself. Typically, digital recordings sound rather bloodless. Some more reverb could help some, but it is also the timbre of the digital instrument making it sound 'dry'. Maybe your earphones are just too crappy to
hear a difference ?

mega_ronin_344 wrote:
And let me know if it's possible to be a user but just in the forums too thanks!

Yeah sure no problem ! Just stop double-spacing your postings, that is real irritating :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 am 

Hi Justin,

I listened to your recording. IMO you put fire and energy into this piece, while still executing the grace notes and triplets in proper time. I was not so much put off by the digital piano, but there are two issues that I find with your submission (for future reference):

1. You should use the labeling scheme Monica has prescribed: (http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5114)

2. Your bitrate 219 kbps from what my media player clocks it in at, is above what is considered ok (192 kbps)

It was a pleasure to listen to your performance,

Look forward to the rest of the set if it is in your plans. Even if it is not for distribution on the main site :)

~Riley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 am 

Hi Justin,

Cervantes' Danzas Cubanas has a bit of history attached to it. It was the first work by a Cuban composer to use native rhythms in a concert form. I listened to your recording twice. Despite its brevity, this music is engaging. I believe you played it very well.

David