Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Glazunov, Prelude Op. 49, No. 1 in D flat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that update. Yes, I thought that Coombs had played at least some of Glazunov's pieces, but didn't realize he had done the whole repertoire. That's quite an accomplishment. Coombs is certainly not top tier like a Lugansky, but he's still a very fine pianist. I would take a chance on those CDs.

Yes, Weber was a seminal figure. Like his contemporaries Beethoven and Schubert, Weber was a transitional composer who helped lay the foundation for the beginning of the Romantic Age. I think in some ways Mendelssohn took some cues from Weber, as Weber recognized Mendelssohn's potential very early and became a mentor to him. Weber's virtuosic style is thought also to have influenced Schumann, Chopin and Liszt, as well as paving the way for Wagner as you mentioned.

David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:12 am 

Hi David,

Pity that this piece is so short! I think it's wonderful that you're exploring the gems from the Russian repertoire. Generally, I tend to think that what's forgotten has been forgotten for a reason, but the music of the late Russian romantics seems to encompass many unjustly neglected masterpieces, often in miniature form but exquisite nonetheless.

A very solid and controlled performance to my ears (nice rolls in particular). You seem to capture this prelude's majesty and grandeur well. By comparison to the greats, the prelude seems to be reminiscent of Rachmaninoff's sometimes chorale-like chordal style.

I very much enjoyed listening.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:23 pm 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that nice compliment. I appreciate it. On the big rolls, I always study a score away from the piano before I practice it. One of the first things I noticed, of course, where those rolls. So I made a note at the top of the page to be anticipatory in order to bring each roll in on the beat. It worked pretty well, although to make it happen the pianist really needs to scramble even with the early preparation!

Yes, it's difficult to understand how so many of these beautiful pieces fell into near oblivion. The only thing I can think of is that at the time with the advent of "modern music", attention shifted away from then what was considered neo-romantic music. And once a piece of music is out of circulation long enough, it's easy for it to pretty much vanish from the recital halls. I always feel like I'm on a treasure hunt retrieving some of these wonderful works. And when I look back at all the recordings I did of Bortkiewicz and Catoire, for example, every second I spent on that wonderful music was well worth the effort.

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 am 

For anyone who might be interested, using different sources I was able to construct a listing of Glazunov's piano literature. I cannot guarantee that it's complete, but I believe that if not, then it's very close to it. It's a relatively thin repertoire as compared to the output of many other composers of piano music, but remember that Glazunov's primary interest was orchestral music. Here is the list:

ALEKSANDR GLAZUNOV'S SOLO PIANO WORKS

Suite on the Name Sascha, Op. 2
Two Pieces for Piano, Op. 22
Waltz on the Name Sabela, Op. 23
Prelude and Two Mazurkas, Op. 25
Gavotte, Op. 29, No. 3
Three Concert Etudes, Op. 31
Petite Valse, Op. 36
Nocturne pour Piano, Op. 37
Grand valse de concert, Op. 41
Three Miniatures, Op. 42
Salon Waltz, Op. 43
Three Pieces for Piano, Op. 49
Two Impromptus, Op. 54
Prelude and Fugue, Op. 62
Theme and Variations, Op. 72
Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 74
Piano Sonata No. 2, Op. 75
Four Preludes and Fugues, op. 101
Idylle, Op. 103
Four Improvisations
Miniature
Little Gavotte
Menuet pour Piano

David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vQ-xt8exoo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 am 

Hi Biggemski,

It's always interesting to hear other renditions of a piece, but your point being...?

David

Post subject: about pianist Dr. Eduardo Dutra.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:17 am 
Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, son of Fabrizio, inherited from his parents love for God, the arts, science, philosophy, and the rights of a very popular drug - Feverfew - among other drugs manufactured by the Laboratory F.Dutra, leading the name of Fabrizio D'Utra e Silva.

Eduardo excellent student since childhood, and dedicated perfectionist, I'm philosophy, was trained in music, very competent with string instruments, especially violin and masterful pianist during his lifetime wrote many scholarly works and large numbers were presented, was formed in pharmacy and medicine having specialized in pediatrics, philosopher, poligloto, loved boxing and wrestling sports activities which specializes. Eduardo develop teaching techniques that apply to students of piano, violin and his sons
In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters; violin with Joachim Boisson; perfected on piano with Henrique Oswald, Barroso Netto and Charley Lachmund.

Eduardo Dutra, was a composer and scholar of great reputation over the years outstanding conductors and soloists performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga (was artistic director and conductor of the Orchestra Symphonic Concert Society), Henry Spedini (conductor holder Symphony Orchestra of Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro), by Symphony Orchestra of Rio de Janeiro under the baton of conductor and professor Ernesto Ronchini, conductor Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works in his Cd edited in 2005.
Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Dyla Josetti, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed more; Concerto in F sharp minor; "Balet - pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For Piano, "Sonata in C minor; twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(suite child); five" Studies ";" Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltzes"; concert, "Three Berceuses" "Concerto No. 2" for piano and "Concerto No. 1" for orquestra.Arthur Rubinstein presented several pieces and presented Anatoli Kitain Hall Carnigie presented in the composition of Eduardo "Prelude in F Minor." The Orquetra Sinfonica Brasileira presented hundreds of works by Eduardo of which he himself excelled "Prelude for String" and "Concerto for piano and orchestra.
Eduardo studied philosophy, theology and many hours per day with equal dedication to the music, to lecture to a select group of students, with the sole purpose of perfecting them, competent administrator transforms the lab he inherited from his father, one of the most important its segment, and its production successes in various areas combined produce beautiful book.
Eduardo, marries a young socialite Iracema, pianist, artist plastica (traditional society of Alagoas and Rio), had two sons Dick Farney (Farnesio Dutra e Silva) famous conductor, arranger, singer, pianist, actor and presenter and Cyll Farney (Cylleno Dutra e Silva) known film and television actor, entrepreneur, musician.
Eduardo Dutra and devoted himself Suiva follow very diligently to encourage the children in their artistic activities and was the biggest fan of the work they performed, died in 1953 of myocardial infarction fulminat.
I am heir to Dick Farney and I am available for more information on Dick Farney, Cyll Farney children and the Dutra Dr.Eduardo own Eduardo Dutra.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:50 pm 

Hi eduardo,

This topic is really for Glazunov, not Dutra.

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm 

David,

This is a scammer who is trying to bank on the fact no one seems to know anything about Dutra. My guess is that the idea is (or was, as Chris has blocked the user) to post so many times and then to ask for a sum to avoid the site being sued for breach of copyright. This "clever" person is incredibly stupid, as most scmmers. thankfully, are.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

Hi Richard,

You might well be correct in your supposition. At the least, redundant postings are certainly spam that intrudes upon and disrupts established topics and threads. Had I known that this music would attract spammers, I wouldn't have posted it at all.

David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:58 pm 

nice piece, David!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 pm 

Hi Luis,

Thanks! It seems that everyone loved the music. At some point I might revisit Glazunov. I believe that he's a composer of great merit.

David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
At some point I might revisit Glazunov. I believe that he's a composer of great merit.

Absolutely agree. When he's good he is very good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:20 pm 

Hi Chris,

I agree. In Glazunov's first piano sonata I believe he was inspired in his main theme by Liszt's concert etude Waldesrauschen. He moves that melody from Romanticism into Late Romanticism and what he does with it is extraordinary.

David