Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Beethoven - Op. 110: III. Adagio, ma non troppo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hi Riley,

thank you for your comment. I agree that still more contrasted dynamics would be nice. I did not use the soft pedal in the arioso dolente because of the notation tutte le corde at its beginning as opposed to una corda at the beginning of the movement. However I might have use it here and there for getting quieter pianissimi ?
Anyway I have to cope with my own limitation as pianist: if I would have play quieter, still more notes would have not sound (see Andreas post), and with the limitation from my piano that although being an excellent 7' grand doest not have the dynamic capability of a concert grand.
The technician who uses to maintain my piano told me that the action setting was right. He could make easier the pianissimi by making shorter the free run of the hammers before they hit the strings but the key run would have to be deeper, which would make the action less reactive.
Cheers,
Didier

Post subject: Re: Beethoven - Op. 110: III. Adagio, ma non troppo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

I believe the key to good pianissimi is to raise the general loudness of your playing. I used to be a very timid player, playing everything mf or mp. The first thing I was told when I started lessons again was that I was playing too wimpy and softly. Had some trouble getting my head around that at first... but By Jove she was right. Having finally acquired a much firmer touch and fuller volume I find it much easier to drop to piano and pianissimo. Having said that, the instrument must also be suited to it. I think the larger the instrument, and the lighter the action, the better you can create good dynamic contrasts.