Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
richard66 wrote:
Yours is the unrevised, edition of the Bartok. He revised them, if memory serves me well, in the 1940s, eliminating some which turned out not to be folk-songs, changing their order and making other corrections.

And, I think, adding a plethora of directives not present in the original version. That could explain why Riley's version sounded a bit lacking in dynamics to me, as I'm used to the Boosey and Hawkes which is indeed the revised 1940 version.

@Riley:

I take back what I wrote about the Schumanns having various flubs and misreadings - there are actually very few. What I found is
Curious Story: Do observe the tied over notes between bars 7-8 and 15-16 and between bars 27-28 and 39-40.
Try get the rhythm steady, and 'play' the 16th rests in the 'dotted' figure. Note that the pedal is UP during those figures. Dynamics, ophrasing and pedaling need more attention.
Blidman's Buff: IN bar 9 you play C which should be c#.
In bar 11 you play wrong notes in the RH, pre,aturely landing in C major which should only happen two bars later.
In bar 16, do lift the pedal earlier. Yes you lose the LH octave, nothing to be done about that (unless you have a sustain pedal).
This needs to me much sharper and more precise, observe the accents.
Pleading child: In bar 14 some RH notes are too weak.

All in all, not bad notewise, but work to do on interpretation and technique.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
I happen to have the original version as a PDF as well as the same edition that you have, but I never compared them.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@ Chris,

Quote:
I take back what I wrote about the Schumanns having various flubs and misreadings - there are actually very few. What I found is
Curious Story: Do observe the tied over notes between bars 7-8 and 15-16 and between bars 27-28 and 39-40.
Try get the rhythm steady, and 'play' the 16th rests in the 'dotted' figure. Note that the pedal is UP during those figures. Dynamics, ophrasing and pedaling need more attention.
Blidman's Buff: IN bar 9 you play C which should be c#.
In bar 11 you play wrong notes in the RH, pre,aturely landing in C major which should only happen two bars later.
In bar 16, do lift the pedal earlier. Yes you lose the LH octave, nothing to be done about that (unless you have a sustain pedal).
This needs to me much sharper and more precise, observe the accents.
Pleading child: In bar 14 some RH notes are too weak.


I listened to the other recordings of no.2 on the site and there seems to be a consensus about keeping the first phrase short and spiky. I could try this but it would probably also be cured by placing the microphone closer to the piano.

About Blindman's Buff, thanks for this information. I am now shocked that I played so many wrong notes in measure 11, and I always though the c natural was right. I haven't really learned this one by hearing recordings, so it goes to show :)

Now to practice so that the rhythm on no. 2 is steady, the no. 3 is sufficiently fast and the no.4 doesn't sound too mushy :lol:

A fair warning, I might give up if you reject my next try.. :wink:

~Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
The conversation about using 'alternative' editions is now on the Repertoire forum.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@ Pianolady and Techneut,

My schedule was free today and so I went to the school of music for a recording session :)

I have tried to apply the criticisms that you two have given me, there is a slip in the Blindmans Buff, but I hope it does not deem the entire recording undesirable.

The three recordings are attached, with some silence at the heads and the tails of the clips.

Hope you like them,

~Riley

Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 2: Kuriose Geschichte (1:14)
Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 3: Hasche-Mann (0:49)
Schumann - Kinderszenen Op.15 - 4: Bittendes Kind (1:06)

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:50 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
@pianoman342....
Riley, you've been around long enough that you can call us by our real names! :)

Anyway, the sound is much improved! And I also think your playing is better and sounds more assured. But I will leave it to Chris to determine if each piece is okay, since he has studied them and I have not. Btw - I'm glad you are persevering! That makes me happy. :D

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
These are very much better in every respect. If I were your teacher I'd not be quite satisfied with your rhythms yet (like the first chord of Curious Story being just slightly too short) and with the rather too brusque closing chord of Pleading Child. Those are minor things that you could still work on but nonetheless this is very decent playing now, which we can certainly put up on the site. The one little slip does not matter much.
Yes, good that you are hanging on in there. It's already made a lot of difference :!:

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@ Monica (I use your username and real name interchangeably, but I'll use just your real name from now on :) )

Thanks for the praise, and I agree the sound is a lot better. Particularly on this grand piano than the out-of-tune upright I used for the last recording. I guess we don't call it a grand piano for nothing :lol: And glad that I could make you happy :) I edited it out, but after I finished the Blindman's Buff I shouted "yes!" It still had the wrong notes but I kept playing it wrong with a number of slips and finally I got through it with 90% of the right notes and at a somewhat fast tempo. Looking back on it, I should probably only shout if I get it absolutely perfect :lol:

@ Chris

You will put these up on the site?! Wow. Thanks a lot!

About the playing, I do realize now the rhythm of the no.2 is quite staccato. Especially compared to your versions. And I agree the Pleading Child could be piano at the end.

About hanging in there-I'm surprised and encouraged that you say it has already made a lot of difference :)

~Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
Pretty much 100-percent of the time, when someone re-records a piece, it is always better than the previous version. I can't remember anyone here making a 'worse' recording; unless they started doing strange things with interpretative issues.

Time to get your bio and photo ready! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
That is the way they treated me and in the end I managed to russle up some decent recordings, so keep going!

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
richard66 wrote:
That is the way they treated me and in the end I managed to russle up some decent recordings, so keep going!

The way they treated me... Gosh that sounds bad. You're not traumatized are you ?

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
...or scarred. :lol:

But see, Richard? It all paid off!! You wouldn't be a Piano Society member otherwise...

:) :) :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@ Richard

Thanks for the support! I don't know if you knew this but I applied to PS about three times before this time. The first were not even piano pieces, the second, I played on a toy piano. Apparently the standards were lower then, but they still didn't accept it :wink:

@Chris and Monica

Here is programme notes for the three preludes:

These “Three Preludes” were originally written with a number of other pieces to help me improve my playing technique. The set now can serve a beginner who is looking for some easy material to play either for a concert or for practice. The three pieces need not be played one after the other, as the pieces were written at different times and were not made to reflect parts forming a whole.

Here is my bio. I know it's a lot for someone who hasn't won any piano contests, but I hope it is o.k. --Also, is the tense correct? I am attaching a self-portrait as well.

(Admin edit - replaced bio and photo by link to new page)
http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=3032

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:
That is the way they treated me and in the end I managed to russle up some decent recordings, so keep going!

The way they treated me... Gosh that sounds bad. You're not traumatized are you ?

:D

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
Ok thanks Riley. I've created your page and put up the Schumanns. Will do the rest later.

Thanks for your praise for PS, and for mentioning me recording your piece :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@Chris,

Quote:
Ok thanks Riley. I've created your page and put up the Schumanns. Will do the rest later.

Thanks for your praise for PS, and for mentioning me recording your piece


You're welcome, I visited the new page and it does look nice! Looking back at it, I did make a mistake in the bio, the color of the grand piano I had while growning up was Mahogany, not Burgundy. Probably made out of wood of the same name, not just colored as such. Could you correct that? If not, it's not the most important thing in my bio :lol:

About mentioning PS, again, you're welcome and hopefully it will help site visitors appreciate what is available to them :) There are sites like Naxos and youtube but each one does not have the same type of info about composers and a forum for so many topics.

About mentioning you, don't mention it! When someone does me a favor I feel the duty to recognize it! And it was a nice favor!

~Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
pianoman342 wrote:
You're welcome, I visited the new page and it does look nice! Looking back at it, I did make a mistake in the bio, the color of the grand piano I had while growning up was Mahogany, not Burgundy. Probably made out of wood of the same name, not just colored as such. Could you correct that? If not, it's not the most important thing in my bio :lol:

It's changed. Details like this are absolutely essential :roll: :lol:

pianoman342 wrote:
About mentioning you, don't mention it! When someone does me a favor I feel the duty to recognize it! And it was a nice favor!

It was my pleasure. I won't record a piece unless I like it, and/or feel it deserves recognition.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
Ok, all of these are up on the site now (except the Strauss which I'm not sure we agreed upon).
You better check if all is ok.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
Hi Chris,

Quote:
Ok, all of these are up on the site now (except the Strauss which I'm not sure we agreed upon).
You better check if all is ok.


I see them on the site, thanks! About the Strauss, we didn't agree on it, as I remember you said the una corda pedal makes the piece sound lousy or something to that effect :oops:, and I can see why you would say that. I see you put up the Bartok pieces :) I am surprised you are the only other person to have recorded them all and the first (with no other pianist recording the pieces in a piece-mail fashion as some have for example with the Chopin Preludes though I suppose I now have changed that :) )

About my own preludes, they are up and thanks for putting them up. If I could ask one thing it would be could you put the program notes on the page, and also I have a thumbnail image of the front cover if you want to use that. One annoying thing about the pieces is I wrote adagio sostenuto for the "final" score text but the no. 2 should be Largo (and a slow largo at that), as I have played it in the recording.. But that's something to note, I'm not going to resubmit another score unless I put it up on Imslp, or if someone expresses interest in another copy :)

Another question I have is do you intend to put me under the "composers" heading? I noticed that you have taken out some of the contemporary composers from the category on the main site, for example Mr. Larrard and Mr. Froschammer. Personally I think they are much better composers than I, though the idea of putting all piano composers into long list appeals to me, though I can see how it makes sense to separate contemporary from classical writers.

~Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
pianoman342 wrote:
I see you put up the Bartok pieces :) I am surprised you are the only other person to have recorded them all and the first (with no other pianist recording the pieces in a piece-mail fashion
I don't think anybody else would want to bother with all of these. But I am cursed with the desire of recordings complete sets...

pianoman342 wrote:
About my own preludes, they are up and thanks for putting them up. If I could ask one thing it would be could you put the program notes on the page, and also I have a thumbnail image of the front cover if you want to use that.
Ok, done that.

pianoman342 wrote:
Another question I have is do you intend to put me under the "composers" heading? I noticed that you have taken out some of the contemporary composers from the category on the main site, for example Mr. Larrard and Mr. Froschammer. Personally I think they are much better composers than I, though the idea of putting all piano composers into long list appeals to me, though I can see how it makes sense to separate contemporary from classical writers.
Yes we've recently changed things around a bit. I believe Monica is going post a note about that.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
Please see the new announcement in the Announcements forum. :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
@ Chris

Quote:
I don't think anybody else would want to bother with all of these. But I am cursed with the desire of recordings complete sets...


If recording entire sets is a curse with desire, I say it is a good curse :twisted: !

Quote:
Ok, done that.


I see it thanks, it somehow looks a lot more official, and that was a fast update! I appreciate it, and now will stop giving you orders :lol:

Quote:
Yes we've recently changed things around a bit. I believe Monica is going post a note about that.


@ Monica

I just saw it now, and think it makes a good point. I don't think a composer who composes for piano can be worth his or her salt composing pieces unless he or she has played works by influential composers with some demonstration of skill and understanding of the music. If this analogy is fitting, a novelwriter only matures as a writer when he or she has read stories from authors who have thought about what has come before and have created something new based on that knowledge. Now I am ranting.. but hopefully it makes some sense :roll: 8)

Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Hi Riley,
these are really nice pieces of a good musical substance! I have enjoyed them entirely.
It was also very interesting to follow with the score you have uploaded.
In the first prelude I ask me, why you write c natural (bar 22) and eflat (bar 26) instead of the enharmonic change (german: enharmonische Verwechslung, sorry couldn´t find a translation for that).
What an original idea. It reminds me somehow of steping forward and backward and it has something of filmmusic character in the best sense of that word (one could use that for underling movements of a person).
The second prelude contains nice tunes in the classical or baroque sense of two and four bar phrases, so it is very logical and has a periodical form. I just find it a bit unusual to write bar seven with a repetition sign, normal would be to write the eights bar again, even it´s the same.
The third preludes seems not to be entirely in the score, but I like that idea. It´s in the tradition of a Bach prelude, but uses new and very interesting harmonical progressions in a chromatic sense. Bravo!

I have enjoyed you compositions very much and I appreciate them! Thank you for sharing your little gems.

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 704
Location: Carbondale, IL
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for listening and your detailed response.

About the enharmonic spellings, you aren't the first, Eddy and Scott called me out on them as well. It is an issue with the program I have. My composition professor said it would be better to write a b sharp instead of a c natural, so it's a notation issue I am still trying to work on :oops: .

About the first piece being like film music this is a high compliment! I am a studying filmmaking in college (though in the future I yearn to score music for movies not make movie) so this is a special observation, thanks.

About the 2nd and 3rd yes the repeat is not really necessary and I am told the ending is just about as queer as a clockwork orange :cry: I spent days and hours on it and I'm still not totally happy with it, such is the life of a composer. Just as a side topic I wonder how long it took Mr. Strueff to write his Intermezzo suite.

Glad you were able to enjoy them,

~Riley

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Composer Audition - Three Preludes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:
About the enharmonic spellings, you aren't the first, Eddy and Scott called me out on them as well. It is an issue with the program I have. My composition professor said it would be better to write a b sharp instead of a c natural, so it's a notation issue I am still trying to work on :oops: .


Of course, it´s just a notation issue, but also one of tonal logic. I personally use Finale and with this program it´s very easy: you can change a note into its enharmonic spelling just with one key.

Quote:
About the first piece being like film music this is a high compliment! I am a studying filmmaking in college (though in the future I yearn to score music for movies not make movie)


Does that mean you will also compose music for movies? I have a talented former pupil, Patrik Pietschmann (also a member of this site, btw), who is really good in composing filmmusic.

Quote:
About the 2nd and 3rd yes the repeat is not really necessary and I am told the ending is just about as queer as a clockwork orange :cry: I spent days and hours on it and I'm still not totally happy with it, such is the life of a composer.


I personally refered also here only on the notation issue, it´s just unusual to write the double points instead of to write out that bar twice.

Quote:
Just as a side topic I wonder how long it took Mr. Strueff to write his Intermezzo suite.


I think, he wrote his basic ideas in one move, but than edited details here and there sometimes for a longer time.

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group