Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Revised Recordings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 pm 

Hey there everyone,

I have re-recorded several Bach inventions. I look forward to your feedback and suggestions. Let me know if these are good enough for the website.
The piano that I was using has a problem sometimes with pitches lingering for a while. This shows up some on Invention #5.

And, I know not to say "enjoy."

Post subject: Re: Revised Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 am 

Samuel,
Without doubt your best performance is of No. 5 in Eb, despite the stuck damper on the Eb! :D Your tempo was steady and your approach much more forceful. I found the other two to be a bit weak and shy, and the tempo in the C minor to be too variable for me. Have you practiced that one with metronome? I think you should approach nos. 2 and 11 with more conviction and authority (like no.5) and I think you'll get a great result.
Regards,
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:04 am 

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the feedback.
I've practiced all of these with the metranome, but I guess I should have done so more times.
I've never really thought of #s 2 and 11 as having an authoritative character. #2 is traditionally considered a sad piece, and my earlier recording reflected that interpretation, although I chose not to go that route this time. Still though, I don't find it to be a joyful or lively sounding piece, so I thought that a somewhat reserved approach would be fitting, although it may also sound a bit too "shy" as you say.

The character of Invention #11 is kind of ambiguous. I've always thought of it as a mysterious sounding piece, which is why I went with an overall quiet approach, although it may sound too timid. This one could be a lively, joyous pieces if played a certain way, although I have never thought that the piece stands out among others when that interpretation is taken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 am 
Site Admin

Come on, people - Let's have some more comments here!

Sam, these sound nice to me, but I am not an expert on Bach and so I don't think I should determine if these go up on the site or not. I'd like feedback from more than just one member, so let's wait a little bit more time. Thank you for your patience. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 am 

Invention 11: Overall, I would take this slower, but I think your livelier approach could work. Watch for rhythmic unevennesses, particularly in the left hand (e.g., first couple of measures, measures 7-9, 19) and rushings (15-18). At the mordents, you often seem to hesitate a bit too much on the first beat and then jerk forward into the rest of the quaver. It all sounds just a bit flabby to my ears. As already pointed out, some further work with the metronome may help and maybe I would recommend experimenting with a slightly slower tempo, which may end up giving the mordents more bite.

Invention 5: This definitely shows that you have a nice facility (this may be the most difficult invention), but IMHO it just needs a bit more definition. The notes sound a bit hazy to me (could partially be the recording as well) and lacking in weight. Strange pedal continuation sound, though I have to say I rather like it. :P Are you using pedal there?

Invention 2: This one may be the weakest. You start off with one tempo but rush and seem to gush forward a bit at a time. Again, your facility is fine and you obviously know it well. I just think you need to focus more on hearing the insistent pulse of the music so that you give the listener more of a sense of sureness, not of nervousness and vacillation.

Despite my nitpicks, though, IMHO this would be good enough for the site. Your fingers are quite good, and to my ears you have a natural fluidity. You may want to polish these more but you are definitely getting there IMO.

My greater reservation might be with the recording, which seems awfully distant and shadowy (I had to turn my speakers all the way up to hear it).

Anyway, hope my comments are helpful to you (and Monica too :P )

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, thanks Joe. :)

I also thought the sound was a little strange - not that it's that bad, but I also had to turn my speakers up.

So Sam, what are your plans with these three pieces? Can you polish them up a little bit more and maybe fix the sound issues?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:48 pm 

Thank you for the feedback. I will continue practicing these pieces with the metronome and then resubmit.

About the sound, I put the microphone farther away from the piano because the previous time I recorded, the mic was too close (given the recording volume) and the recording had some screeches and static. I'll need to find a better volume level and position for the mic.