Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Schumann-Widmung (video) and a little Granados
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:29 pm 

Hi Monica,
I have listened to the "Widmung". I really like these arrangements of the Songs of "Myrthen", op. 25, by Clara Schumann and I have played some of them, too. You play it absolutely properly, may be here and there you could think about the little dotted rhythm in the chords of accompaniment, but that´s no big deal (no reason for to re-record it IMHO).

By the way, which film about Clara Schumann have you seen? Was it the one with Nastasja Kinski? I have visited the Schumann-house in Leipzig some month ago and it was impressive to see that environment Schumann has created some of his works during four years (1840-44). Also the book "Schumanns Schatten" by Peter Härtling was a very interesting lecture, but I don´t know, if it´s translated into English.

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I have heard it sung. But I like playing it in a more introspective manner, which makes it more tender and romantic. Playing it like it is sung makes it sound so German!

I really couldn´t recommend to a half or quarter german or so to make it sound German, that would be too boring! :lol:

Scott wrote:
Quote:
You just gave me a new advertising angle for piano students. "Learn the piano and loose weight." Maybe I can even get a regular show on PBS.

But don´t take me as an example for garantueed success! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 pm 

musicusblau wrote:
Scott wrote:
Quote:
You just gave me a new advertising angle for piano students. "Learn the piano and loose weight." Maybe I can even get a regular show on PBS.

There is always PhotoShop. :wink:

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Hi Monica,
I have listened to the "Widmung". I really like these arrangements of the Songs of "Myrthen", op. 25, by Clara Schumann and I have played some of them, too. You play it absolutely properly, may be here and there you could think about the little dotted rhythm in the chords of accompaniment, but that´s no big deal (no reason for to re-record it IMHO).

By the way, which film about Clara Schumann have you seen? Was it the one with Nastasja Kinski? I have visited the Schumann-house in Leipzig some month ago and it was impressive to see that environment Schumann has created some of his works during four years (1840-44). Also the book "Schumanns Schatten" by Peter Härtling was a very interesting lecture, but I don´t know, if it´s translated into English.

Hi again, Andreas. :)
Thank you! I know you've 'reminded' me about my dotted rhythms before so thanks for that too. Sometimes, one can get lazy if there is no teacher to help with these sort of things.
Anyway, the movie I watched is called "Song of Love" and stars Katharine Hepburn. It's an old black/white movie but it touched me somehow - I wasn't expecting to like it so much.

musicusblau wrote:
Scott wrote:
Quote:

Me, neither! Yes, I lose weight when I'm recording, but afterwards I am starving and then go right to the kitchen and eat the left-over pizza. :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, Andreas, I meant to add to this to my other posting....

Do you have any photos of your visit to Robert and Clara Schumann's home?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 pm 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:

Yes, of course, after my visit to Leipzig in january I had made a topic with "pictures of Leipzig", but no one has shown any interest, so I have deleted it after while then.
If you like, I can post some pictures of Schumann-house when I´m back from vacancies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm 

Quote:
RSPIll wrote:
musicusblau wrote:
Scott wrote:
Quote:

There is always PhotoShop. :wink:

That´s good, because you would have to make an unnoticable use of it! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 am 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Pianolady wrote:
Quote:

Yes, of course, after my visit to Leipzig in january I had made a topic with "pictures of Leipzig", but no one has shown any interest, so I have deleted it after while then.
If you like, I can post some pictures of Schumann-house when I´m back from vacancies.

Yes, I would like that very much! I am sorry that I missed your other Leipzig photos. Maybe you can post them again, as well? Especially if you and your family are in the photos. I love seeing PS members in photos or videos doing something other than playing piano. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 am 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I would like that very much! I am sorry that I missed your other Leipzig photos. Maybe you can post them again, as well? Especially if you and your family are in the photos. I love seeing PS members in photos or videos doing something other than playing piano. :)

O.k., I will post a selection, when I will be back at home. It was an excursion of my Musikleistungskurs, so my family is not in the photos. Of course, I may not publish photos of my pupils here, but I will try to find some with the Schumann- and Bach-museum f.ex. and may be with myself in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:24 am 

The Schumann playing was very nice. Generally I am pretty neutral to Schumann, but I have never heard this piece before without a singer...it's very nice. Your melody has very strong presence throughout the performance.
Have you accompanied much Schumann as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 am 

Hello Monica, the Granados is different than his other marches, but I like it. I really think this one would sound great with orchestration - the elements are there.
Your Widmung was an endearing interpretation of this sentimental piece. I agree with all the praise that has been given...

I love the use of candles or dim lighting in a music room, it adds an excellent 19th century salon effect. I have dimmers on the chandelier and pole lamp beside my piano room, and like indirect lighting when it comes to the piano, even for reading music. I don't use a stand lamp any more, but if you're intent on using one for video, try adding dimmer at the outlet end to "enhance the romance with little finance." :P The room and pages seem too bright. Since lamps and candles have different color temperatures, it would be difficult to get both color correct on the video. Using a tungsten lamp instead of a halogen might give a better color balance. The mysticism and artistic motif would be enhanced if the light source was supplied only by candles in the room. The keyboard, fingers, and face would be luminescent against a dark background, just like a Georges de la Tour painting. This is one of my favorite lighting effects. You will have to fiddle with the exposure and white balance settings to dial in the desired dramatic effect on the camera, but it's worth a try next time. I haven't done a video, but have taken pictures with this similar technique.

BTW, your video would make a wonderful ad for Yankee Candle (A chain of candle stores here in New England:) I think they would supply you a lifetime supply of candles if you approached them. :D

Bravo Monica, for your creative spirit. You always surprise us with something new every time....

George

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

RichNocturne wrote:
The Schumann playing was very nice. Generally I am pretty neutral to Schumann, but I have never heard this piece before without a singer...it's very nice. Your melody has very strong presence throughout the performance.
Have you accompanied much Schumann as well?

Thank you, Rich. No, I have not accompanied much Schumann...at least I don't remember...maybe I've accompanied my dad on a Schumann piece.

@George - Thank you! I know my piano light is very bright compared to the candlelight but I never thought of putting it on a dimmer - that's a great idea! If I find another piece that I want to video-record with candles, I'll fool around more with the lighting. (think I will contact Yankee Candle :lol: ) (we've got them here too)