Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Bach A minor, WTC book 1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 pm 

This is a terrific interpretation. The fugue is the challenge; it is unhurried which is essential in this instance (unlike mine, which is too fast and which i really ought to rethink). What is most important, this reading maintains interest throughout, which very few professional recordings of this fugue manage to do. Technical (meaning "purely" technical) issues are few in this account, and the much more important and challenging issue (in this fugue especially) of seeing and expressing the WHOLE, as opposed to its parts, is conquered or, at minimum, pretty much laid to rest. This is, I think, one of the most prolix (to borrow a literary term), improvised-sounding, and therefore scary fugues that Bach ever put to paper!

Bravo,

JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 am 

Thanks for your generous comments. Indeed I spent a disproportionate amount of time working on this fugue: I hadn't anticipated just how much harder it would be than the others. (Next year I plan to do the B minor from book 1, which I expect to pose similar challenges. I'm not sure whether to feel eager, or terrified.)

The problem isn't just that it's improvised-sounding (as you so well describe), it's that there's such a tight balance between improvisation and structure. There are fugal movements in the toccatas which to my mind are even more improvisatory, yet they are easier to interpret because they seem to have a freer sense of "flow".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 am 

Hey---I enjoyed the performance of the Bach. Rather than give any detailed comment, there's just 2 things I noticed:

In the prelude, the opening was wonderful---I loved the intensity, but after beginning on the 3rd entrance of the opening material with the first crescendo, you began to slightly rush, and when the LH comes in with the material, it is too fast---if you really nail down you opening tempo (the first 2 entrances of the material), then I think it could add to the drive and convincing nature of the performance.

Other than that, it was very nice to listen to. Bach is very difficult (I'm terrified of him, but I love playing him...it's a never-ending battle).

Hope this was helpful in some regards,
Rich