Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Grovlez - L'Almanach aux Images
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

This is a re-recording of my version from 2007. I have always loved this endearing suite by Gabriel Grovlez, a compoaser about whom I could find little information and no image at all. It is clear that Grovlez was under the spell of Debussy, and I'm pretty sure he must have known that composer's Children's Corner, on which some of these items seem to be modeled. Nonetheless I do not find this derivative music. I hope I do my bit in making this unknown music more popular.

If anybody knows of more info about Grovlez, I'd love to know. A photo would be more than welcome.

Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 1: Les marionnettes (2:54)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 2: Berceuse de la poupée (3:14)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 3: Sarabande (3:20)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 4: Chanson du chasseur (1:52)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 5: Les ânes (2:32)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 6: Le pastour (1:57)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 7: Chanson de l'escarpolette (1:32)
Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 8: Petites litanies de Jésus (2:34)

Post subject: Re: Grovlez - L'Almanach aux Images
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what I thought of your first version of this set. Did I like it? I can't remember. Anyway, I like no. 2 a lot. Probably my favorite of the set. No. 3 has some neat harmonies. No. 4 - let the hunt begin, for sure. No. 5 - some fast donkeys... No. 6 is nice - like the trickling notes. No. 7 - like that nice, waltzing beat. Also, I don't know what's happening, but I hear a swishy sound throughout every file here. It's in the background, but pretty prominent, like the piano sound is not that clear. There is that constant swish going on.... Sorry, I can't explain it well....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Chris,

Until hearing these pieces, I was not familiar with Grovlez at all. I listened to all of them. They are all contrasting and colorful in each piece's own way and some tell some stories while others draw some impressions. I believe that you play them all very well, plus you have an affinity to this music which reflects in the performance.

I saw Monica's comments on the ambient noise. I have tinnitus in both ears (probably inevitable after playing piano for 58 years so far), so I cannot detect it at all. Maybe others can be more helpful with that.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Monica and David. I sure hope my love for this unassuming music shines through.
I think what you hear is the releasing of the pedal which is a bit noisy since the spring was taken out.
I meant to have the tuner look into it when he was here this week but I forgot :x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

No, I don't think it is a pedal noise. Remember how we used to listen to albums on vinyl - when the needle gets to the end of the album, you hear this swishing sound? That's sort of what I hear in your recordings. I hear it when you are playing and when you are not. Maybe was there a machine running - like a dishwasher or washing machine nearby? Or a clock? Well, don't worry about it...I'm using my good earphones right now, and I probably wouldn't hear so much background noise on my cheaper ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The pedal is what I could hear in some places. But there could be other background noise. It seems to be never completely silent here. Ah well. I don't think it is so bad as to spoil the listening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:40 pm 

Chris, these are very fine works in their style (definite Debussy influence). You bring out their wonderful character very effectively. Oh there's a quick run here and there that could be played more evenly, but nothing that should require another effort at recording. I think your performing this music must be making JS turn in his grave! Anyway, I'm sure you've heard what they found when they exhumed Beethoven's grave: He was furiously erasing his many scores. "What are you doing master?" He answered, "Decomposing." <flam, crash cymbal>

Edit: Oh ya, one more thing: I don't appreciate what Monica's talking about, but I just listen over my Altec Lansing integrated laptop speakers. These are home recordings after all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
I think your performing this music must be making JS turn in his grave!

Was it that bad ? What's JS got to do with this anyway ?

musical-md wrote:
I don't appreciate what Monica's talking about

Careful now Eddy. You may well get the rap for this :P

Thanks for the feedback :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:10 pm 

The good old German Lutheran (whose exponent you are) would think this music is of the devil :twisted: :!:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:14 pm 

which reminds me (as I really go OT): Have any of you heard Garrison Keillor's The Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra? (fashioned after B. Britten's of course). What a wonderful listen!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Edit: Oh ya, one more thing: I don't appreciate what Monica's talking about, but I just listen over my Altec Lansing integrated laptop speakers. These are home recordings after all.
Well, of course they are home recordings! But are you saying that I'm imagining that sound? I can't help if I hear things that others don't. And anyway, it is absolutely possible to get a clean and clear sound in home recordings if you make sure every machine or furnace/air conditioner is off. Now, trying to control the birds and chipmunks is another story... :x :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 am 

pianolady wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Well, of course they are home recordings! But are you saying that I'm imagining that sound? I can't help if I hear things that others don't. And anyway, it is absolutely possible to get a clean and clear sound in home recordings if you make sure every machine or furnace/air conditioner is off. Now, trying to control the birds and chipmunks is another story... :x :)

Monica, have you considered tinnitus? :wink: I really meant that I don't hear it, (listening the way I do). <Softball pitched with a nice and slow lob> :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Monica, have you considered tinnitus? :wink: I really meant that I don't hear it, (listening the way I do). <Softball pitched with a nice and slow lob> :?:

That's okay, Eddy, you've made me consider that maybe I shouldn't comment on EVERYTHING. I say what I hear in members' recordings in case they don't know there is some interference in the sound, and then they can fix things for future recordings. But maybe I am more annoying than helpful. Shut-up time for me!

And here is the softball tossed back to you....( except I don't really get this softball thing.... :oops: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:28 pm 

Oh Monica, that was your opportunity to smack it out of the park with: "Well Eddy, maybe you should have your hearing checked. Perhaps you have hearing loss!" :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Oh. :)

Well, having sensitive hearing is not always a blessing. Some sounds drive me nuts. Good thing I don't have tinnitus. That would send me off the deep end!

But did you know that Grovlez once worked on Granados' opera? There, I've steered things back on topic.... :lol: