Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Submission
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 am 

Hi!
Here is an attempted post of my own composition, Nocturne, for submission. If I'm not posting this correctly, please let me know! I am still new to this whole system.
Anyways, This is my Nocturne It was recorded live at a recital at my school, Wilfrid Laurier University, on a Yamaha. The recording quality might not be to great, but you can hear the notes, at least.
Little bits and pieces came over a bit, and I sort of just wove them together...this is what came out.

Hope you like it!

Keenan

Post subject: Re: Submission
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:45 am 

Keenan,
Let me just say briefly, that in my estimation this is a very well-crafted composition for piano! It bears unmistakable (IMO) influences of Ravel, Debussy and Scriabin. The recording is of fine quality but the volume is too soft. I was puzzled only by the title, as the work did not fit what I expected for a nocturne, but maybe that's just me. Good work! I hope you're doing more.

Regards,
Eddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 am 

Keenan,

That was a joy to listen to. The impressionist influences are definitely there.

How long have you been composing? Are you majoring in piano or composition or both?

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:32 am 

Thank you both! I have been told it is rather impressionistic.
Well, I call it a nocturne because it seems to be in 3 parts, A/B/A'. There is a unifying theme at either end...and I like the word 'Nocturne'. I can't say that I know exactly how to title pieces appropriately but if anyone has suggestions let me know!
I have been composing more...I only started writing it down this year. So far I have about 5 piano pieces, 1 VERY short work for three cellos, and a piece for a string instrument and piano (not yet completed), preferably cello, if I don't stretch the range to much. I only have a few more recordings, other works haven't been recorded, or even learned, yet.
Here is another one of the few piano pieces I have done, entitled Poem. As for why I called it that, I thought it sounded a bit poetic! :)

Hope you enjoy! And thanks for listening! Any comments, including criticisms, are welcome.

Keenan Reimer-Watts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Admin

These are nice pieces, very well played. You seem to have a natural feeling for piano sounds and textures. Occasionally, the harmonic language seems a bit clumsy (something I often find in amateur compositions, not sure if I have a point or it it's just me). The Nocturne has many nice moments but seems rather a patchwork, which you more or less hinted at yourself. I wish you had made more use of the opening theme which is quite catchy. But you soon abandon it in favor of other, less interesting ideas, never to look back. Although I know beans about music theory or form, I always feel that a piece must have some purpose and continuity, instead of be a sequence of disjointed ideas. Or maybe they are related and I just didn't notice it.
Anyway, nice work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that Nocturne is very pretty! For me, I heard Rachmaninov, Debussy, Albeniz, and then a little Chopin right at the end. Specifically the beginning sounds like.....argh....can't think of the name or composer. The melody of the piece I have in my head goes like:

f, f, g, e, d, c, d, e, e, d, d ------a, a, b-flat, g, f, e, f, g, g, a, f, e, d, e, f, g, e, d, e... I hope someone can figure this out for me - I'm at work and don't have a piano at hand.

And then at the very end, I hear a Chopin nocturne. Again, I know which one I mean, but don't have the opus number. I'll look it up...

Anyway, again, this is a pretty piece!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
f, f, g, e, d, c, d, e, e, d, d ------a, a, b-flat, g, f, e, f, g, g, a, f, e, d, e, f, g, e, d, e... I hope someone can figure this out for me - I'm at work and don't have a piano at hand.

Ravel Pavane (figured out without piano at hand 8) )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Oh yes! Good one - thanks!! Now we don't even need a piano....haha

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm 

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Very impressive given that it shows no rhythm. In fact without rhythm, it could make a very nice chant!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 pm 

Keenan, I like the Poem very much also, ... except I think the Tierce de Picardy is wholly out of context and character. Drop the last note! :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:37 am 

Hello,

A thanks to Chris Breemer, and everyone else who commented, again :)
What do you (Chris) mean by the harmonic language? I agree with your other comments as well...I will rework it someday, I just don't exactly know where to start. The opening theme does come back in the end, but other than that, you're right, I could use it more!
And it doesn't matter than you don't know more than beans :P That means you have an unbiased opinion, which is valuable still.
Yes...I have tended to patch them together...is it very noticeable? I know the sections are noticed, but in to poem the beginning minute or so came little by little, bar by bar over the course of about a month. If that is noticeable, I should try some continuity, as you said.
Great advice! I'll keep it all in mind

Best,
Keenan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

KeenanReimerWatts wrote:
What do you (Chris) mean by the harmonic language?[

Nothing more than that I found some of the harmonic changes a bit clumsy. I can tell you which if you want, though I'd be hard pressed (lacking formal musical knowledge myself) to explain why exactly I perceive them like that .

KeenanReimerWatts wrote:
And it doesn't matter than you don't know more than beans :P

Beans, beans... the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot :P