Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Antonio Soler 3 Sonatas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 am 

Thank you, Chris! Everything is in a good order :-)

@Vcpianoman: Guten Tag! Or better Guten Abend... :-) Thank you for the nice words! "Répétiteur" is an accompanist for singers. I play the orchestra versions of the operas on the piano :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9p%C3%A9titeur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 am 

Hi Jana,

I'm very glad I listened to your Soler sonatas! I had not heard them before. Your artistry is impeccable and in these works, and I admire your musicianship. Very beautiful playing!

The little I know and surmise about Soler intrigues me. He was a monk and a priest, so undoubtedly was more isolated from the music circles of his time, and seemingly concentrated mostly on composing for organ and harpsichord, including, not surprisingly, sacred music. And as someone else pointed out here, he studied with Scarlatti, thus must have absorbed much of the older Baroque traditions that can be heard in these sonatas, although they might lean more toward the refurbished and refined Rococo style. But surprisingly, he was a contemporary of Haydn who played such a large role in defining the Classical style (although Haydn outlived Soler, maybe because he had access to better chefs!). Spain was far from Austria in an era of slow travel, and where Soler was more isolated and leading a contemplative life along with composing, it seems he was preserving and extending the Rococo style, while Haydn and others were steadily moving into the Classical style, a new path entirely. I guess Soler is an early example--not unlike Rachmaninoff who persisted unperturbed in the Romantic tradition rather than leaping into serial music--of a composer who was determined and content to do his own thing. I certainly give Soler credit for that!

Again, I enjoyed listening. The quality of your sound recording is superb too.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 am 

Hello Jana,

These sonatas were new to me. I mostly know Soler from his concerti for two keyboard instruments. I later found him to be much later than Scarlatti, but when I first heard his music I thought him to be a contemparary. I believe this persistence of an older style in Spain was more widespread: the works of Mateo Albeniz, also from roughly the same period, also owe something to Scarlatti and of course Scarlatti owes something to Spanish music. It is only with Boccherini's arrival that the classical style arrives in Spain.

While these sonatas do not sound as interesting as the concerti, they have their moments. I would have cut the applause at the end of Sonata No 88, but this is the only thing I would mention in otherwise fine performaces.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 am 

Hello and Welcome, Jana!

Wow, these pieces are real gems! You played them beautifully. I especially like your phrasing throughout each piece -- very effective. They sound like Scarlatti to me, too. Looking forward to hearing your next submissions here. :)

~Adrienne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 am 

Hi Jana,

You play with a lot of color and fantastic coordination between the hands. At times the piano sounded a bit like a harpsichord.
The spirit in the No.73 Sonata was great and yet there was a lot of lyricism. Your embellishments are spot on and the blend of the harmonies was very rich.
Congratulations on a beautiful performance. I would love to hear you play Scarlatti and Mozart.

Kaila