Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Albeniz: Prelude from España, Op. 165 No. 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 pm 

Hello!

Monica's "El Puerto" recording was inspiring, so I decided to try some music by Albeniz as well. I recorded the Tango, too, but made a glaring reading error, so will re-record that before submitting it. In the meantime, this Prelude is just a very short submission. This is my first Albeniz piece ever, so I hope my interpretation is close.

I am happy to re-record as needed, provided my 3-y.o. cooperates by letting me sit at the piano for more than two minutes at a time (which was actually perfect for this piece). :)

I am experimenting with mic positioning (still), and this seems to be the best compromise to allow a close enough sound without *too* much action/pedal noise. Please let me know your thoughts. This was recorded with my Zoom H2, rec level 100, gain at Mid. and with the mic at the front corner of the piano, near the treble. The piano is my Baldwin L. It sounds like it's been three months, but I had the piano tuned in December. Brutal winter here in Lexington.

This suite is such a lovely collection, I'm hoping to record the whole thing over the next few months. Still trying to get my older pieces back under my fingers, but they require more time at the piano than my family and studio will afford. :(

Now I will go listen to some other PS submissions and offer comments. :)

Albeniz - España Op. 165 "Preludio"

Post subject: Re: Albeniz: Prelude from España, Op. 165 No. 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 pm 

Hi Adrienne. What a delightful piece! I don't know it (but I'm getting to know it now thanks to you :) ). I think you play this very well, but as I listened I felt like I wanted a bit more in the recitative sections. More specifically, with the ascending lines of same, I want to feel some real Spanish arrogance (and I speak as a Latin now). I want to get the idea that you are holding your head very erect and looking at me with condescending side-glances. In other words, play with more wide a range of dynamics. I have no idea what the score says, I just feel like I want to be more in the presence of Spanish passion. <mi dos centavos>

Last edited by musical-md on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I think this sounded very nice, Adrienne! And your piano sounds good too - mic placement seems fine. It's up on the site. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 pm 

Eddy ~ Thank you for your comments (two cents much appreciated)! I was probably holding back a bit in those sections... trying not to make it too boisterous, but maybe it needs more. I am willing to try that. Liked your imagery there... I will work on those sidelong glances. ;)

Monica ~ Thank you! I need to get to work on the other pieces in the suite. The Tango will be next...

Curious to hear what Chris thinks. I notice that he has already recorded the whole suite. I promise I am not trying to be a copycat! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm 

Adrienne,

that's good precise playing.

I think the piano sounds okay. There seems to be some sort of resonance with a few of the treble notes but that could be due to coupling with the microphone and/or its proximity to the treble rather than the piano itself. Without being there to hear the piano directly it's difficult to say.

I'll look forward to the tango.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBPiano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

AdrienneM wrote:
Curious to hear what Chris thinks. I notice that he has already recorded the whole suite. I promise I am not trying to be a copycat! :)

Hehe, that would not be a good idea at all :lol:
Yours is a nice version. A little timid in terms of dynamics. It's not a piece with huge contrasts but surely the 'climax' in the middle (around that lone sforzando) could have a little more passion, and yes indeed, arrogance. I like the sections with the triplets, they are nicely shaped. Sound is good though a tad more reverb would have been nice. I can't hear the top note of the closing chord but that is probably my problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:51 am 

Mark ~ Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it. Yes, there IS definitely something resonating with the A below Middle C. I think it is part of the piano, unfortunately, so I have to have Sally take a look at it next time she is here to tune it.

Chris ~ Thank you so much! I am glad you had a chance to listen. I hear what you and Eddy are saying about the dynamic contrast. I'll submit this again along with the Tango, after I've had a few more days to live with both pieces.

My piano tech voiced everything down last time she was here, and the very top notes are still a little soft. I would like the treble to be brighter (Malagueña is giving me fits in that regard), but the strings are also 43 years old, so when it is bright it has false beats (which bothers my tech more than me, but I can't afford new strings yet, LOL). I can try to bring out the top note more. It's there, just very very very soft (but hey, it's marked ppp). ;)

Also, I am still learning to use GVerb, but will see what I can do. The first time I used it, it sounded like a giant piano in a huge, empty hall. I cracked up laughing. I found a Wikipedia page with several settings to experiment with, so I'll do that.