Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Valentin Bogolubov playing two Preludes by S.Rachmaninov.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 am 

Here are two Preludes of S.Rachmaninov - Op.32 No 5 & 12, recorded by Valentin Bogolubov in Montreal (1998).

Post subject: Re: Valentin Bogolubov playing two Preludes by S.Rachmaninov.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:12 am 

Hi Valentin,

I had time tonight to listen to 32/5 in G. I've also recorded this piece (I play half the preludes in Opp. 23 and 32). Rachmaninoff, of course, refused to share his programs in these pieces, but for this piece the imagery it creates for me is that of a bird soaring high on the updrafts, being swept along by the wind currents, but occasionally needing to flap its wings to regain it's altitude. I believe that your rendition serves this imagery well, even if you own impression of the music is different. You play the piece in a very thoughtful and lyrical way in my opinion. An excellent performance!

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 am 

I do not have much inclination to the music from Rachmaninov. However I was sensitive to the mood from both theses pieces, which I already heard of course but did not care much about. I appreciated them better without the background noise, which I removed by means of digital processing. Processed files here attached.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:55 pm 

Loved both of these. I listened to the G major prelude first. I wasn't sure at first whether it was a little slow, but your playing totally drew me in and I changed my mind on that. In fact I completely stopped what I was doing and just listened.

The other prelude - a piece I have heard a million times (hence I listened to it second in order to forestall having to hear it for the millionth-and-one time!) but despite my over-exposure to this prelude your glorious sound and phrasing drew me in again. Perhaps the bass at around 2.08 could have been a little darker in my opinion, but that's about it. The section from 2.20 to 2.30 caused me to involuntarily mouth "wow".

Can admin please sign up this chap with his beautiful tone and effortless playing if they haven't already :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm 

Whenever I hear the Preludes I can't help but think of Richter's benchmark recordings. These two hold up very well indeed next to that benchmark. And of course they are hellishly difficult to play; these interpretations avoid the Volodos approach of playing fast to wow the crowd. I hear "slower" here as "thoughtful." When I listen to the myriad recordings of Rachmaninoff out there, in very, very few of them does the pianist take his or her time to appreciate the music, and the music is usually lost. Not the case here. Really, terrific performances.

JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 am 

It's not often that I hear online recordings of this quality. Really quite superb.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 am 

Hi again, Valentin

I just listened to 32/12. It an extraordinarily masterful rendition in my opinion--one of the best I've heard. Bravo!

David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:03 pm 

Sorry for my recent lack of participation, but I couldn't help but comment on this thread.

Quite simply (as all reviewers to date agree), these recordings are a treasure! I understand that there may be factors I'm not aware of that are keeping them from finding a home here on on PS, but perhaps these could be discussed?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:33 am 

Beautiful playing! I prefer the g# minor a bit faster and a little more bold but totally accept your rendition as artisitic and perfectly legitimate. I enjoyed them both emensely. Thank you! I agree with the notion that if you are not yet a PS Artist, there should be no more delay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Bogolubov was asked right here on the forum if he wanted to become a PS member, and I tried explaining how to do things via numerous private messages. But even so, he obviously still does not understand and I do not wish, nor do I have the time to babysit someone like this.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:04 pm 

Monica, thanks for explaining what's happening with Valentin. I didn't understand that he's already been invited!

Valentin, if you'd like to become a member but have a question, maybe you could ask it right here. If I can, I'll answer it myself.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 pm 

It's a crying shame (as these are clearly meritorious recordings), but if someone doesn't or won't do what's required to become a member, there's not a lot which can be done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:45 am 
Site Admin

I agree! I had to learn how to do all the things I do here, so other people can do the simple things like submitting properly formatted mp3's.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Admin

However good a pianist one is (and Valentin certainly is a very good one), one must at least understand the requirements of PS and be able to adhere to them. Unless we have more admins who are prepared and have time to do conversions, editing, and educating people in basic matters (insofar as those people want to be educated) we can not take each and everyone aboard. It doesn't help if prospective members do not communicate and participate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 pm 

techneut wrote:
It doesn't help if prospective members do not communicate and participate.

Can't argue with that, Chris! It surprises me that Valentin would go to the trouble of submitting his marvelous recordings, but then not talk to us. Valentin, are you out there?