Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ginastera Sonata No.1, Take Two!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:45 am 

Having had some very nice help from some members in France and Germany in helping to clear some of the "hiss" from my serpiginous music files (see other thread), I hereby resubmit the complete Ginastera Sonata No.1, Op.22, for reconsideration for inclusion into the library of the PS, and for "Gradus ad Parnasus" as an Artist of the PS. This is neither a perfect recording nor a perfect performance (it is quite a gymnastic work in parts), nonetheless I believe it to be a more-than-adequate representation of this masterpiece (IMO) of 20th century piano literature. I hope you will too.
Regards,
Eddy del Rio

Ginastera - Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 22. I: Allegro marcato

Ginastera - Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 22, II: Presto misterioso

Ginastera - Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 22, III: Adagio molto appassionato

Ginastera - Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 22, IV: Ruvido ed ostinato

Post subject: Re: Ginastera Sonata No.1, Take Two!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:39 am 
Site Admin

Hello again. I have listened to two of these files and now I hear a swirling/swimmy sound in the background, but at least the hiss sound is lower. By now you have learned that some of us listen to members' submitted recordings with not 'old technology ears' but rather 'new technology ears'. Meaning, we like a clean sound. You said that you will not submit any more recordings until you have a better recording setup, so in that case, and since these are cleaned up a little, we will accept your Ginastera recordings. I am curious though - how did you find Piano Society? Why do want to become a member? And are you willing to spend a little time listening and commenting on other members' recordings or participating on other forums besides the Audition Room?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 am 

Thank you for accepting these recordings, and perhaps within the coming year or so I will submit new recordings. How did I come by the PS? Quite accidentally! I have been doing a lot of listening recently, and searching on several subjects and must have come across an imbedded reference or link. Frankly, I don't remember. I am very happy to participate in other forums (I'm through here for a good while on the submitting side) and enjoy talking on just about any subject related to music (literature, theory, practice) as well as all aspects related to playing the piano, including developing technique (what is technique is a great place to start: it's not Chopin etudes and the like), practicing, score interpretation, more esoteric stuff like the nature of Golden Mean to compositions, or whether the first two notes of the Beethoven Op.57 are "harmonized" by a tonic chord or a dominant (7th) chord (I think it makes a very big difference in the interpretation!), or what is the meaning of staccatos on high notes without dampers; I'm ready to go 20 rounds with anyone on the subject of whether the score is input-instructions or ouput-symbology, pianos (I love the Baldwin SF-10 (I own one) and the SD-10, because they have a Renner action (my favorite) in them like the Bechsteins and Bosendorfers), etc. I must say regarding recordings that I am more interested in the quality of an interpretation and performance than the recording itself as long as it's sufficient. After all, which is worse, an excellent recording but the piano isn't tuned properly, or an old recording of the Masters? For me, hands down, I'm after the music itself. I would be more intolerant of recordings that were of excellent quality but the piano was not perfectly tuned, than one in which the piano is perfectly tuned but the recording is not the best possible. Consequently, I don't think I would be quite as difficult to please as you are "pianolady". I think of some of the recordings that people have used to teach/learn music in the past (sorry) and they were perfectly fine for getting the music across and falling in love with Bach, Beethoven Chopin, Sibelius, .... Anyway, I thank you again for accepting my Ginastera Sonata No.1 and look forward to fruitful and lively participation. I'm going to start a new thread for fun now :wink:
Eddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
I am very happy to participate in other forums (I'm through here for a good while on the submitting side) and enjoy talking on just about any subject related to music (literature, theory, practice) as well as all aspects related to playing the piano, including developing technique (what is technique is a great place to start: it's not Chopin etudes and the like), practicing, score interpretation, more esoteric stuff like the nature of Golden Mean to compositions, or whether the first two notes of the Beethoven Op.57 are "harmonized" by a tonic chord or a dominant (7th) chord (I think it makes a very big difference in the interpretation!), or what is the meaning of staccatos on high notes without dampers; I'm ready to go 20 rounds with anyone on the subject of whether the score is input-instructions or ouput-symbology

Good - you are off to a fine start! At times I jump into the ring and try to go 20 rounds, so look out! But remember, I'm a girl so...well...there! :lol:

music-md wrote:
Consequently, I don't think I would be quite as difficult to please as you are "pianolady". I think of some of the recordings that people have used to teach/learn music in the past (sorry) and they were perfectly fine for getting the music across and falling in love with Bach, Beethoven Chopin, Sibelius,

We admins. are simply trying to make PS the best it can be, which means holding the fort on two fronts - 1. great playing, and 2. good sound quality.

musical-md wrote:
.... Anyway, I thank you again for accepting my Ginastera Sonata No.1 and look forward to fruitful and lively participation. I'm going to start a new thread for fun now :wink:

Music to my ears! :D :lol:

Okay - and now to make it official, we need your bio and photo. You can stick both right here and one of us admins will make your page. And btw - you may call me Monica.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:38 pm 

Thank you Monica,
Please find a photo attached. And since doc files are not uploadable, below is test for my bio.

Bio for Eddy M. del Rio

What happens when you bring an assembly of junior high school kids in to listen to a recording of J.S. Bach’s B-Minor Mass? Nothing much, <insert yawn> … unless you were me! When I heard the Crucifixus et Resurrexit, I was dumbfounded and enchanted. That day I fell in love with “classical” music. Though I had been taking piano lessons, it was all about pop music and playing off of lead sheets. Soon enough my demands out-stripped this teacher. My grandmother happen to hear a pianist performing on TV (Victor de Diego) and she learned that his teacher was Arminda Schutte (who had studied with the eminent Josef Lhévinne), located in Miami about 100 miles away, and whom they remembered from Cuba. An appointment was made and I presented with some of the self-taught Grieg Concerto for an audition. I was accepted and then began my real introduction to playing the piano. Back to square one: how to sit, how to move the entire playing apparatus, “Close your mouth,” “Don’t curl that 5th finger under when it’s not playing,” “Lower your wrist,” “Lift the hand from the wrist,” this was horrible … and I loved every minute of it! Lessons were long and included theory and solfège too. I advanced rapidly and played Mozart on local television, and as a senior even composed a work for chorus and piano that won the state competition and was premièred at the following All-State Festival. I studied with Arminda through college too for a BM in music. She sent me off to her colleague Santos Ojeda in Cincinnati (who was also Cuban-born and had studied with Rosina Lhévinne) in order to keep the school of technique the same. I earned the MM there and additionally took a year each of orchestral and choral conducting. Now in Miami I began teaching at Miami-Dade Community College and directed the orchestra. Two years later it was back to Cincinnati for work on the Doctor of Musical Arts degree studying with Richard (Dick) Morris, a cognate in Theory Pedagogy, teaching assitantship, and authored a new method for learning C-clefs with application for transposition-at-sight and taught a course for both graduate and undergraduate students with same. Having finished all course work, one solo recital and several other components, I was ready to finish-up long distance while I returned to work in Miami. I added the New World School of the Arts to my teaching venues and performed on local radio, campuses and museums. Then a lot of life happened: I didn’t finish my DMA, we moved away to never suffer another Hurricane (Andrew), I began teaching as adjunct at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, not enough work, need to find work (did I mention I was married and the father of two beautiful boys?) … The following is too complicated to explain: I left academia (very painful) and was hired to work for the US Army in matters of GPS, had a Secret-Level clearance and authored the US Army Aviation Global Positioning System Integration Guide for the Blackhawk and Chinook helicopter fleets. Five years later, when the base where I worked was closed for disbursement (realignment) I decided not to move but to consider my options. Here again too complicated to explain: in ten years I had become a physician. I am now a board-certified Family Practice doctor. At age 52 I have begun a rebirth of my piano playing and feel 25 again! I intend to present a formal recital each year locally. I think my stethoscope will be my stage trademark (not a candelabra :D ). I enjoy pretty much all styles and eras (Inlcuding from PDQ Bach to George Crumb) but accept the dodecaphonic style only in very small doses. My piano is a Baldwin SF-10 (7' Artist Grand), like it's bigger brother the SD-10 it has the finest (IMO) piano action in the world, the Renner action. If I had to live with the works of only one composer, it would have to be ... you guessed it, J.S. Bach!

I hope this works for you Monica et al.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Eddy, you are officially a member now. Welcome again! Please check your page and links to see if all is in order. If there's a problem, take it up with one of the other admins. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:27 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Ok, Eddy, you are officially a member now. Welcome again! Please check your page and links to see if all is in order. If there's a problem, take it up with one of the other admins. :lol:

Monica, given the smily face at the end I wasn't sure if you meant it or not. If so let me know and I will resend. Howwever,
1. my last name and alphabetizing needs to be "del Rio" not "Rio"
2. Could you insert the missing "s" in "assistantship"
3. Since the "smiley face" :) did not import, you can remove the space for it at "(not a candelabra__)
4. Please also change "this teacher" to "my teacher" in the early part.

Thanks,

On second thought, I will send this to another admin too in case you were serious.

Edit: Added Item No.4

Last edited by musical-md on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

You caught me right before I left for the gym....YES, I was joking!! (sorry, I have a strange sense of humor)

I'll fix everything when I come home. We have two other members with last names with a prefix of 'da' and 'de' but we don't list them like that. I can change your listing if you want, but it'll cost you! (kidding again!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 pm 

pianolady wrote:
We have two other members with last names with a prefix of 'da' and 'de' but we don't list them like that.
Yes, if I were European, that would be correct. After all, no one says "van Beethoven." But then there is DeQuervain's tenosynovitis, and Delacroix (the artist: Of the cross), and DeLand, Florida, and DeBussy :wink: "Quel est <<Bussy>>?" I am "of the River."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:37 am 
Site Admin

ok, done.