Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Valentin Bogolubov playing "Andante Replicato"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:24 am 

Hello, dear colleagues. Excuse me please for my long silence - I was really very busy(I wish to be more present in the Forum)! I'll show to you a piece of Latvian composer Janis Ivanovs "Andante Replicato" - my recent recording. I love this music (may be it's just the nostalgie about my country) and i hope you'll enjoy it!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Sincerely - Valentin.

Post subject: Re: Valentin Bogolubov playing "Andante Replicato"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:52 pm 

I like it! VERY much! A commanding and sensitive performance too! Bravo. But I wish to hear more of this composer. Judging by your name, are you from Bulgaria? Thank you for the performance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how much I like this piece, if at all. I hope Ivanovs had more to say in his many symphonies than he has in this little piece, which seems rather morose and meandering to me, as if the composer did not really know where he wanted to go with it, except for throwing in some grand pianistic gestures substituting for a true climax.

But indeed it is commandingly played. Now only the Sonata Brevis and Three Sketches and you'll have a complete Ivanovs under your belt :) Well maybe he wrote more for piano than is listed on Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:54 am 

Thank you for you comments, dear friends! I never think about what the composer want to say in his music because all is said by his music itself! The only thing I work - is the transparency of myself. Every time the result is different, sometimes unexpected.
I knew Janis Ivanovs very good (I was born in Latvia) and we were friendly in spite of big difference of age.
Valentin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 am 

Thank you for introducing us to this fascinating composer! Is the sheet music for this piece published anywhere?

I think the murky tone quality makes it a little difficult to listen to. (Of course it needs to be a little bit murky--it suits the character of the piece--but it's important to find the right middle ground.) It's hard to tell whether it's the recording or the performance. In general I'd like to hear more contrast between the different registers of the piano, especially a brighter sound from the right hand. In the loud section from 1:40 onwards the left hand seems too dominant, at least for my taste. But in general I like the sense of drama.

I too would be keen to hear more of this composer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:42 am 

Janis Ivanovs was famous in Latvia so all his works were published, you could read about him in Wikipedia.
Thanks for listening! Valentin.