Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin etude Op. 10, No. 12 (Revolutionary)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 pm 

Dear all,

Here I submit to you my very recent DVD performance of Chopin etude Op. 10, No. 12 played in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I wasn't really expecting to play it since I hadn't worked on it for so long but here goes. Please let me know what you think!

I hope you enjoy! ;)

Post subject: Re: Chopin etude Op. 10, No. 12 (Revolutionary)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hello dubya,
Welcome to Piano Society. Please tell us a little about yourself - we normally like to know with whom we are speaking when we comment/critique recordings. Also, You have to submit mp3 files, not movie files which are huge and I doubt anybody would want to download them. If you have to 'show' us yourself, then you can put up a Youtube link. But overall prefer mp3's.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 pm 

hello piano lady!

nice to hear from you... i am actually a veteran on the website (rather than a newbie). i am luke welch, and have submitted several recordings to this website over the years, but unfortunately (due to injury) had to take an extensive time off from the piano. the past couple of years i have been re-training and building up strength/technique, etc. to try once again to become a pianist.

i recorded some videos a couple of weeks ago for a project, so i figured i would try to post them on this website (to contrast these videos with my old .mp3 recordings), and they are recently posted on youtube.... maybe there's a way to inform people who view my pianosociety page that there are now video clips available too?

i will try to get these clips converted to .mp3 so that i can post them here as well.

cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Oh hi Luke. Sorry about that. :oops: When I first saw your name, a little thing in my head told me that I had seen you before but I was not sure. So anyway, we're glad you are back. We'll wait to listen to your recordings when you have completed converting them to mp3's. As far as videos go - we don't really host videos anymore because of Youtube. You can direct people to your Youtube channel like I (and some other members) have done by putting a link below that bottom line. You can also add the information to your bio page if you like.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 pm 

Hi Luke

This study is certainly a very demanding piece and I remember practising it myself until I was blue in the face. Technically, you do a brilliant job. You have exactly the velocity needed for this piece, the tempo is right and particularly the left hand is most accurately played. Well done.

What I miss, however, is some sort of dynamic development, some passion, some rubato and the feeling. The study comes across as quite mechanical. I find the LH a bit too loud. The piece would sound less technical and more musical if you played the characteristic crescendos when you go up in the LH.

Cheers
Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Long time no hear Luke.
So you were in Rotterdam, my birth city ! Where exactly is this venue, is it in De Doelen ?

I would agree with Daniel in that this is technically very proficient but rather too notey and mechanical. The point about
Chopin etudes is that they should not sound just like technical exercises. You certainly have a very good basis here to create
something beautiful and compelling, once you can touch the music underneath all the notes (rather than cannons buried under flowers, maybe here we have flowers buried under cannons - just a thought :wink: )\

I don't have the score at hand but I believe at 1:20 you make a read error in the RH. Apart from that, little to nag on the technical front. If you had not worked on this for a while, you certainly have it in the fingers very well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 pm 

hey!

many thanks for your replies guys! (indeed i do frequent de doelen quite often... there are so many fantastic concerts, it's such a wonderful experience!)

it's quite interesting to read your comments. i had a chance to play for a very important musical figure in my life these days just a few hours ago and he had exactly the same comments to make - to think in waves of sound, delaying in the bass for emphasis and for the purity of the note "c"...

i had to smile when i read those comments (thanks to you both).. and i really look forward to studying it deeper and giving it some musical meaning. i'll try to re-record it in the near future and would love to hear what you have to say.

met vriendelijk groet!

luke