Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Bach, Prelude and Fugue f-sharp-minor, WTC II, BWV 883
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:21 pm 

dubya wrote:
Quote:
Very beautiful performance - particularly in the prelude where you sustain good tone/colours, and the voices are very clear. I think you seem to really understand the "whirlwind-like" concept of the triplets searching through all of the harmonies.

Thanks for that, dubya! I don´t know, if I can agree to the "whirlwind"-idea in that relatively slow and complaining prelude, but I second the imagination of "searching through all of the harmonies", which is something typic for Bach here and there. I love that.

Quote:
Your fugue, in my opinion, is still a bit too polite - particularly when the second (dotted) subject/theme appears, it can have a bit more presence to be in contrast with the material from before. In general, the major build-up phrases you play very beautifully but I think could have more weight and have a bit of appassionato so that the fugue doesn't become one long and flowing piece, but rather collection of ideas with so many themes running together at once to highlight the struggle.

That´s a nice suggestion for an interpretation. I could imagine it sounds convincing, if it´s done well! I personally had another idea (this time) for my interpretation, more a soft and complaining one, as a continuation of the expression of the prelude. But I appreciate such ideas and inspirations. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 am 

Just fantastic. I'm speachless. Honestly.... this interpretation is perfection. You must be very happy with it. I'm afraid to touch this prelude/fugue combination now. I'm not sure this performance can be improved on in any way.

JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:34 am 

Hi John,
thank you from heart for taking the time to listen and to write me such an encouraging comment. I´m sure you mean it sincerely and it makes me very happy! :D :D :D

I´m very happy with my interpretation, that´s true. But I think, there also can be found other convincing solutions, so don´t be afraid to experiment further on this wonderful pair. Bach offers a lot of possibilities for interpretation!

But nevertheless, I´m very happy to have found an interpretation, which you like so much!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 pm 

The interpretions of this fugue are varied, from slow and serious (Aldwell) to dance like and bouncey (Hewitt). And there are probably as many ways of "hearing" or "listening" to it. I like it played straight, with few variations in tempi, and slender ornamentation. Not sure why, in this instance. It could be that this fugue is much, much more than the sum of its subjects, their interplay, and so on. With Bach there is almost always something more involved than even the most perfect and well-delineated part-playing can express. Although I know there are plenty of folks out there who see the 48 as priimarily technical exercises. I've never understood that view.

JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm 

Dear John,
I agree to all you have written above. Though Bach has thought his "Well-Tempered Clavier" as an education work for his pupils, I also don´t understand, how people can consider it only as a technical praxis. There are many many higher dimensions behind it!
I personally would call my interpretion (or is the correct English word "interpretation"?) more a "lyrical" than a "straight" one, but descriptions with words are very subjective, of course.
Thank you for your valuable comment and praise!